Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My cabin shell (shed) - into living space
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
JCinAZ
# Posted: 30 May 2012 01:01

Hello...the place is looking great!! My husband wanted to know what you used on the to level the place..or what did you use as piers to level the house...and did you have them in before they set it up for you?

Rifraf
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 08:49

Hi I used treated 4x4 piers with quick crete as a base. The delivery guy leveled the house using house jacks and put cinder blocks under it, I then had a backhoe come in and dig out spots for my peirs along the outer edges of the cabin.

Rifraf
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 09:12

Well heres a picture of my current progress, we finished the floors, painted, trimmed the windows and such, got the hot water heater plumbed in, still have to plumb the bathroom lay baseboards and crown molding, install two doors and the downstairs will be done.

I have a video uploading as well that shows a bit more, ill link it when its done.

lr

countryred
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 09:41

Looks like your almost done, great job. We looked at some Derksen buildings last weekend in Sedalia. It helps just to walk around in them and get ideas on layout and such.
I think we are going with the 32 x 12 lofted barn with different doors, and will have build our own front deck / porch. Just gives a little more space. I do like the cabin's porch though.

MJW
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 10:22

Quoting: Rifraf
I have a video uploading as well that shows a bit more, ill link it when its done.

That is awesome!

Can't wait to see it!

Rifraf
# Posted: 4 Jun 2012 10:53

Thanks, heres the video link
YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK

Rifraf
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 16:51

latest video shows the completed plumbing, bathroom and such

Youtube video link

Rifraf
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 10:47 - Edited by: Rifraf

yay,

I finally got my desktop running at the cabin and can process photos. Still have a lot of trim work and such to do downstairs.

Heres a few of the cabin interior for those who dont like videos

Kitchen sink, made from an old buffet, and a stainless steel bucket
kitchen

living room
living

Tankless electric water heater. Rheem 9kw - works great!
water heater

Vanity made from old rustic stand and ceramic bowl.
vanity

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 11:01

Awesome, awesome,awesome Rifraf!!! Man you have been busy....do you ever rest?????

I love your buffet with kitchen sink-it looks incredible and the bathroom vanity as well-love the bowl and faucet, cabinet-everything!!! You have to post more pictures!!!! Did you get your ceiling done?

Congratulations to you...you set out to change your lifestyle and live a simpler dream...and what a comfortable place to do it!!!!! You ought to be very proud!!!!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 21:24

TB, thanks !

Ill get some more photos soon. The upstairs is not done yet I still have to run my wood planks, lay pad and carpet and install my railings and ladders. A few days work at most , once I get my materials in a few weeks.

The only delays I have now are financial ones, we are living here now so every time I get money for materials and such I get it done pretty quick.

naturelover66
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 22:16

WOW......... Looks Great !!! Congrats..... and job well done !!!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 16:11

Thanks,

TB here are a few more pictures. Ill have more in a few weeks when I finish base boards, crown moulding, door trim and all the upstairs stuff as well.

bathroom tub 1
bath 1

tub 2
bath 2

computer desk in bedroom, made from scrap wood
pc

living room shot from loft, still need door trim around bathroom
entry.
living 2

yard , is also a work in progress
yard

VTweekender
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 07:39

What an awesome job!!! Inspiration to us all.....

MJW
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 09:46

Nice! I can't wait to get started on ours. These stories are such an inspiration.

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 13:37

Thanks again,

I wasnt going to post more updates until the downstairs was 100% but its 100+ degrees out today and im not going to work out there cutting wood ect, bored as I am , ive taken some update pictures. Ive also got a video uploading and will link it soon.

Ceiling middle 12 feet 1
ceil4

ceiling 2
ceil 5

path to lagoon site
l1

lagoon shot1
l2

lagoon shot2 not quite done, excavators back tomorrow to
wrap it up and lay the pipe.
l3

neb
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 13:40

Looks very nice a lot of hard work right there!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 14:42 - Edited by: Rifraf

Thanks Neb,

we were originally going to put a septic in closer to the cabin, but our budget has dwindled far more than we expected so we went with the lagoon. Septic was going to be about 3500.00 + , the lagoon with clearing, dig, pipe, fence and total connection and inspection is only 1400.00

Im happy with its location though its pretty far away from the cabin, my land is a hill with the cabin at the top and lagoon at the bottom.

MJW
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 15:37

I had never even heard of using a lagoon for septic until we were in MO and that seems to be common there.

I still don't know much about them, however.

Rifraf, did you ever consider the smaller, DIY septic we were discussing here earlier in the week?

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 15:49 - Edited by: Rifraf

MJW,

I did research it, but i didnt seem to hold up to the requirements of a full time home with 4 residents, also when it comes to waste treatment and things that can cause illness I prefer someone with more experience than myself determine my requirements.

The other up side to a lagoon from what I read and have been told is that its upkeep is far less expensive and its treatment is as effective if not more effective than a concrete septic. I may add a small solar powered aerator to further its effectiveness.

my basic understanding is that a shallow lagoon (about 3 feet of water) with sunlight and air on the surface will grow healthy algae. The algae eating bacteria and such combines with evaporation naturally treats the water.

Heres my last video , the upload finially finished
Youtube Link

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 14:27

I have to ask .... I have always resisted my partners idea of putting down dark stained wood on the floors at the cabin! I see yours and I think "WOW!" Yours are so nice looking I love it!! What flooring did you use??? I also see dfosson has also used dark wood flooring in his small cabin...Love it also! Thanks

Rifraf
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 17:00 - Edited by: Rifraf

its actually car siding,

Pine, 3/4 " thick. Has solid flat side, and a wainscotted/grooved side. Its the same material I put on the ceiling, I just have the flat side up so it resembles a more traditional floor.

8 inches wide, for the floor I bought 10 foot boards and cut them to get random lengths.

Costs around 0.49 cents per foot here in southeast Missouri.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 17:31

Im gonna see if I can find that with a flat side....did you sand the whole floor after it was laid down? If you did,what did you use to sand it with?? What part of each piece did you nail through? thru the tongue or surface? thanks

MJW
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 17:31

Looking nice, Rifraf. You will be done before you know it although I suspect we are never really done with them, are we?

Always a new project to take on.

So where 'bouts are you there in southeast MO?

Our next (planned) stopover is Cape Girardeau. Tentatively planned for mid July to mid August. I am trying to meet with as many folks as possible in our travels to get the lowdown on how things really work when you go off the grid/homestead as opposed to the book learnin' I have been doing.

If you are close enough we would love to put together a meetup with you, and anyone else, that happens to be close by in the area.

If you aren't open to that, I understand. Lots of crazies on the internet.

Rifraf
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 19:23 - Edited by: Rifraf

MJW,

you will be about 3.5 - 4 hours from my town (mansfield)

SustainusFarm,
I did not sand it at all, light spot sanding between coats of poly but nothing for the wood itself. The cool thing about the car siding is that they are Tounge and Groove so I just nailed angled into the tounge and the next groove covers your nail .. I rented a braid floor nailer for 40 bucks, I highly I recommend that. The only prep work I did for the flooring was lay down felt paper before I put it down.

Threw a stagger step ladder together today, boy I like it. I can walk down the ladder without using my hands. Still have to fill my screw holes and poly the whole thing

ladder1

MJW
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 19:58 - Edited by: MJW

Quoting: Rifraf
you will be about 3.5 - 4 hours from my town (mansfield)

Dang! Maybe we can catch up with you Novemberish when we hit Springfield to start on the western portion of Route 66.

We did the Springfield on east portion and really liked MO.

Nice ladder. Not sure how that would work for a big boy, though.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 17:42

Hey rifraf....how long is your bathtub...I have a claw foot now that measures about 4.5 ft long and when I sat and stood in it to test it out I thought it was a bit small.....not sure what to do??

Rifraf
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 17:54

Mine is also 4.5, they take some adjustment. But work well after you get used to them. I am 6.0 ft and I can bathe comfortably in mine.

You can fill them 3/4 and soak , or if like me your a frantic splasher just fill them 1/4 and splash away. If you like to get your shoulders soaking just pop your feet on the other ends rim

latest video of my cabin (tub not shown sorry )
Youtube Video Link

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 21:16

Did you find your tub used? It is in great shape! Love it!

Rifraf
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 21:52

yeah it was used, came from an old house that was being torn down. I sanded the rust off the outside and painted with rustolium hammered bronze outside, and used a porcelain paint kit for the inside that was slightly worn. So far the paint kit is holding up over the porcelain.

Rifraf
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 17:08 - Edited by: Rifraf

The lagoon is finally finished and has been inspected. Not much water in it yet, dry few weeks, no washing machine in the cabin yet and the lagoon has only been in use a few weeks with greywater.. blackwater we only decided to use now that the inspection is done.

What water is in there is being treated very well it seems , shown by the bright green algae .

lg1

lg2

lg3

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.