Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My cabin shell (shed) - into living space
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 22:56

Hey Rifraf....Loved the video....how are the alternating stairs working out? Is there anything you would change about them now that you have been using them?

Rifraf
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 23:33 - Edited by: Rifraf

BigDuke,

I have had some condensation on my foam panels that create my air channel from soffits to ridge, this was only near the top (at ridge vent area) and appears to only happen on the areas that have open insulation. I have not found any condensation under areas where the ceiling is finished. So im not concerned about it. The condensation I have found was slight, only in areas where it was open insulation over the air channel, and always dried by early afternoon. Once the ceiling is finished with the wood and painted/or poly'd I expect there to be no problems.

Materials used on the ceiling was T&G pine car siding over r13, that rests on 1/4 inch foam then 1 inch air channel connecting the ridge vent to the soffit vents.

Sustainusfarm,

Thanks, the stairs were made purely from 2x8 pine and they are very sturdy. I dont regret them at all, in fact ill be making another set for the opposite loft soon.

countryred
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 19:36

The place looks great !
It really looks like a warm and happy home with the Christmas Tree in the corner.

Rifraf
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 19:26

Thanks guys, It's hard to believe I started with my land a year ago. Thought I would be done by now

mikehu1966
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 13:13

Looks Good, lots of good ideas.

dr_time
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 13:35

Before it was installed, did you make a platform on top of your posts? Seems like if you had the posts in already it would've been difficult to line up?

Now that its nearly completed, what would you say your costs were to finish the interior? (not including your sewage, etc)

Rifraf
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 15:46 - Edited by: Rifraf

i can break it down roughly
http://thistinyhome.com/my_material_list_7.html

I dont have my insulation on that list.. it was about 350.00

ALT
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 09:43

Your place is incredible! We started with a Derksen shell as well (much smaller), but I am in awe with what you have done with yours. We were not as innovative. Bravo!

Rifraf
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 02:39 - Edited by: Rifraf

Thanks ALT! Ive learned that small spaces dirty up quick! Fortunately they clean up quick too

Dr_time, sorry I didnt answer all of your questions in my previous reply. The Posts/Piers were retrofit in after the delivery.

Basically when they deliver these units they will level it for you on blocks, I had a backhoe come in after and trench where I wanted to put posts, he basically put his bucket right under the cabin (because it was up on blocks) and duge outward from there, so I had a 3 foot deep trench from under the cabin where i wanted each post, to about 3 feet straight out from that point. I had to back fill them after installing my posts.

If you plan on making a platform ahead of time, the platform would have to have contact with ground on the long side ( i would think) so the little mule cart they pull the cabin with can get onto it with the cabin. It would also have to be larger than the cabin by at least the length*2 and width*2 of the mule so the mule could be dismounted and drove back off the platform

Rifraf
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 08:58 - Edited by: Rifraf

its been a while but I finally finished the lofts. As always there's still detail work to be done .. but im getting closer to "done" I do however want to build more traditional cabinets in the kitchen area.

Heres my latest videos..
there are two parts because the ipad stopped recording on me and I had to start again. So the second video is just the end of video 1.

part 1
http://youtu.be/CYiVepki34g

part2
http://youtu.be/79pz58m9-Cg

Ill post some pics when I can the wife took my camera (ipad) to work for a few days..

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 14:55 - Edited by: Rifraf

finally redid my kitchen, we are still waiting for out 17x19 corner sink to arrive via ups. I framed the base cabinets into the kitchen via 2x4 studs and faced them with #2 1x4 pine. I also used #2 pine for the top and other areas. The drawers are wood on wood sliders, nothing mechanical, nothing fancy .. still applying coats of poly, on coat #4 now.

the stain colors are Early american (dark one) and Spring Oak (honey color)

what I had before
kitchen _ before

kitchen remodel work in progress
kitchen remodel

kitchen nowkitchen now

countryred
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 15:27

Looks really good !!! Hows the summer treating you?

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 16:27

really well, the summer has been fantastic. My wife is a teacher so our summers are usually pretty fun. Lots of nearby get'a ways to help break any boredom too.. such as branson and St.Lois , local nature centers ect.

The grass is starting to overrun the weeds in the yard so thats looking much better this year too.. how is your place these days?

countryred
# Posted: 15 Jul 2013 16:35

There is lots of cool places in the area. The spring and mills are very nice.

We spent a few days carving our way in to the "JUNGLE" and we found plenty of ticks too. We got enough done that now we know where the cabin and yard will be. We are going to hire a local dozer guy this fall to come in and level us up a spot and push out the small stuff.

Rifraf
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 18:56 - Edited by: Rifraf

Finished the kitchen area , here is the end result. I dont use nail filler on anything these days.. I just like to poly over exposed screws.. looks more rustic in my opinion. After the kitchen I used some scraps to make an executive type desk for the bedroom. The desk needs poly, right now its just bare stain.

Kitchen Final

and the desk
desk from scraps

naturelover66
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 20:10

Looks great Rifraf........... Love it !!!

Rifraf
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 12:00

well guys I got a new job offer closer to town so im going to let this little cabin go. If anyone here is interested in buying I would sell it. It can be transported anywhere in Missouri for around 300.00 via transport service if memory serves. out of state I have never checked pricing. Would sell with all fixtures and such.. water heater, tub, plumbing, electrical, you would be able to set it down and hook it up. Sell the land and new well and sewer system all together for (3acres, new 350 deep well, lagoon system installed by prof lic company, inspected.. 400 ft from cabin.. very clean setup)
Land well, and cabin all together as they are now
finished cabin and you move

love2teachk03@aol.com

countryred
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 20:36

Congrats on the new job ! Can you move the cabin to the new place?

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 03:57

Happy for the new job but sad that you have to sale your little piece of heaven,,,,,

Rifraf
# Posted: 21 Feb 2014 04:35

Thanks Erin.

CountryRed. No we cant unfortunately, we will be in the city in a rental house for the first year there.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 21 Feb 2014 18:42

A thought, start looking now for another piece of heaven. Doesn't hurt to dream and plan for the future!

bwebbrph
# Posted: 13 Apr 2014 15:20

Question:

Regarding the manufacturing of the basic shell of a cabin you purchased, if you could get the manufacturer of the shed to go ahead and add a few extra things you had to add yourself, do you think you would have been better off?

Also, what about a better quality shingles, or metal roof?

Thanks

bamabear
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 09:01

I have been looking at these buildings, and really thinking of buying this summer and putting one in my back yard ,and letting my granddaughter have my 16by80 mobile home.. for her impending family... love the way you did yours..

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.