Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our New Property and Project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 18:14

Hey Bugs,
I've been looking at that wall heater as well, for all the same reasons.
The old coleman vented gravity heater I have gives off a smell...probably because it's 30 years old (from an old tent trailer). It works great, but not sure about a permanent install in the bunkie if I can't ditch the odour.
I like the fact that you can see a flame for the effect in yours.
I'm pricing them at @ 700.00 here in southern Ontario.
Where did you order yours from and was your price around the same?
Thanks..great pics as always.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 21:53

I must say: I never get tired of looking at your photos. They are amazing.

Oowasa
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 19:49

I spent the last couple of hours going over this thread and I just loved it! It is neat to see that other people have the same love for the outdoors and a small cabin as I do. I thought I was alone in that quest...so glad I found other like minded people!

Jeffrey

bugs
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 08:30 - Edited by: bugs

bushbunkie

I think your price is about right. We ordered ours in from Nanimo, BC as we could not find a supplier in SK. The retailer put together an entire package for us. Unfortunately we still have not tried it out for real yet. Next spring we will finish the install and give it a test.

ErinsMom: We too are always surprised how rich and abundant the flora and fauna of our place is.

Jeffrey: My!!! You must have been quite bored to sift through the entire thread/blog. It is getting a tad long.

One of the neat things about this site is that most people here enjoy the out of doors in some fashion. Some hunt, some hunt with a camera, some atv/snowmobile and some hike and snowshoe and others just sit and soak up the ambiance, but we all appreciate getting out of urban confines. And, the concept of a small or micro cabin instead of a typical sized cabin (small house) adds an interesting element (and challenges) and at least in our case made the whole dream much more affordable. We now appreciate that a lot of the STUFF we have is really not necessary and actually often complicates and gets in the way of "quality of life".

bugs

bugs
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 10:51

Finally made it out to our sanctuary after almost 2 and a half months stuck in the city. Good for the soul to hear the heart beating, feel the sun on your face...could almost see the silence. All was intact other than the three feet of snow or more (lots of snow for SK) that we had to snow shoe/flounder through.
Lots of snow
Lots of snow
The little shack
The little shack
Winter shack
Winter shack
View of our fields and pond
View of our fields and pond

bugs
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 10:53

The moose files!!!
cow and calf in the snow
cow and calf in the snow
young bull
young bull
nice sized bull
nice sized bull
Moose at the window
Moose at the window

Just
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 11:27

the moose look fat and healthy ,i'll bet they have fine coats this time of year .lots of snow for the pond come spring.nice

bugs
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 16:26

Got out for another snow shoe to RDL on Good Friday. +3C and blazing sun.The snow is waist deep in places and that is with snow shoes on. The deer seem to like following our tracks. It has been a hard winter for them with all the snow. Lots are starving. Ours can at least munch on the hay bales and browse in the fields.

But the sun is getting warmer. Squirrels are chasing each other. The skunks are out of hibernation. And, horned larks, Canada geese, crows, robins and mountain bluebirds are around. Spring is coming it appears.
Scenic snowshoes
Scenic snowshoes
Visitors at the shack
Visitors at the shack
Tired of winter coyote
Tired of winter coyote
RDL from across the pond.
RDL from across the pond.

bugs
# Posted: 25 Apr 2013 17:46

We happened to be at garden show where one vendor was selling old aerial photos of farm yards. Found the old farm yard we have at RDL. Kind of neat to see what is still standing and how the place has changed. The picture was taken in 1965.

The barn was burned down in ~1970's. The fire got away from the people and melted alot of the glass in the old cars and burned many trees through the bush which still bear the scars today. The house was moved on in the early 1960's from a nearby town.
old farm yard
old farm yard

bugs
# Posted: 1 May 2013 11:29 - Edited by: bugs

Got out to our place finally after a month's hiatus. Spring is slowly coming but the snow is still deep. It will be a couple of weeks before we can drive up to the shack. At least we were able to park off the road.

Caught what we think is a fisher on the trail cam. The inset image was taken an hour later. It appears to have a squirrel in its mouth.

Lots of deer are starving due to the long winter and deep snow.
Fisher?
Fisher?
deer
deer
itchy fox
itchy fox
gate
gate

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 1 May 2013 11:40

Wow, lots of wild life!

creeky
# Posted: 9 May 2013 17:57

looks like a fisher to me. man they are big aren't they.
great posts.

hattie
# Posted: 9 May 2013 18:03

Wow great photos bugs. I've never even heard of a fisher before (thanks google for enlightening me *LOL*). It's hard to imagine that you still have that much snow on the ground this late in the year.

bugs
# Posted: 29 May 2013 16:13 - Edited by: bugs

Spring has finally arrived. There is still a bit of snow in some of the north exposed fence lines and a couple of roads are flooded. Finally getting out to our little place each weekend now.
Rose breasted grossbeak
Rose breasted grossbeak
Courting red necked grebes
Courting red necked grebes
The ticks are out!
The ticks are out!

bugs
# Posted: 29 May 2013 16:16

Our little dock is almost awash.

We bought some new lawn furniture for the shack and are trying out some recycled rubber tiles to see how they hold up to the rigors of elk and moose hooves.
new furniture and rubber tiles
new furniture and rubber tiles
dock and shack
dock and shack
sunset from the dock
sunset from the dock

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 May 2013 22:44

Bugs, always enjoy your post and pictures.

Hope the deer did OK through the winter.

bugs
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 15:45

We invited a local Nature Society and Entomological Society out to our place for a Saturday field trip. Seems people had a lot of fun bird watching and looking at plants and insects. They were also keen on the composting toilet, solar power setup and the concept of a small cabin.

"Our" elk have started calving!!!
Nature Society Group
Nature Society Group
baby elk
baby elk
cedar waxwing
cedar waxwing
chipmunk munching on dandelion
chipmunk munching on dandelion

bugs
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 15:48

I even dug out the macro lens.

My sunset photography was pleasantly interrupted by one of our beavers swimming through the scene.
caterpiller
caterpiller
Dot-tailed skimmer
Dot-tailed skimmer
Skipper butterfly
Skipper butterfly
Beaver in the sunset
Beaver in the sunset

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 16:05

Beaver in the sunset pic is beautiful!

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 16:58

gosh.what great pics.this is wonderful to see.thank u.

bugs
# Posted: 24 Jun 2013 16:51

Had another splendid weekend at RDL. Saturday we woke up to a Vancouver Island/British Isle fog. Sunday morning we woke up to a glassy pond that begged us to sit with our first cup of coffee and enjoy the peace. We sat there watching the orioles, rose-breasted grosbeaks, warblers and flycatchers searching for food in the bushes around us. Tree swallows and hummingbirds were zipping over our heads. On the pond red necked grebes, black terns and a loon were fishing causing ripples on the surface. In the field a massive bull elk and white-tailed buck were grazing. Not a human made sound to be heard. It was very difficult to leave the chair even to get breakfast and then worse yet to start packing for the trip home.

We checked out part of our land we have never been to and toured the old farm house this weekend to see if we had a vulture nesting in it. Turns out the raccoons have been using it. Learned way too much about "raccoon communal latrines". Not even a vulture could put up with that.
aphid farming ants
aphid farming ants
bird dropping weevil
bird dropping weevil
bee mimic beetle
bee mimic beetle
Silvery blue butterfly
Silvery blue butterfly

bugs
# Posted: 24 Jun 2013 16:53 - Edited by: bugs

couple of non bug shots
beaver
beaver
elk cows and calf
elk cows and calf
Eastern phoebe chicks
Eastern phoebe chicks
foggy morning
foggy morning

hattie
# Posted: 24 Jun 2013 19:07

You are an amazing photographer. I really enjoy your pictures!!!

bugs
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 07:40

Hope all my fellow Canucks got out and showed their colours yesterday. Canada is not perfect but it is sure better than most other places....And we get a long weekend to spend at the shack

We have hoards of mosquitoes this year. It seems we always bring a few into the shack every time we open the door and they attack just as we are falling asleep. So we bought some surplus army bug nets to go with our surplus army cots. They work terrific.

"Our" moose had her calf out with her while she was munching on water plants. Nice to watch while having breakfast.
bug net
bug net
too close to the camera
too close to the camera
grill cleaner
grill cleaner
cow and calf
cow and calf

bugs
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 07:41

Some bugs
tiger swallowtail
tiger swallowtail
wasp
wasp
ringlet
ringlet
white admiral
white admiral

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 08:00

You seem to have all the best things at any cabin.

bugs
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 17:28

Hi Folks

Since our cook shelter has been a phoebe nursery for the past two & half months we had to come up with a place to do our dishes. We put in a drop leaf shelf in our porch works really slick.
shelf
shelf
dishes
dishes
Poplar Borer Long Horned Beetle
Poplar Borer Long Horned Beetle
Fine set of antlers developing
Fine set of antlers developing

dorothy
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 09:33

bugs you have a great place with evey thing one would love to have live it up enjoy it love all of the photo's

bugs
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 11:25

Hi folks

Last weekend we were surprised to see 30 yards of gravel on the drive way and at the yard site. Neighbour dropped it off for us. Hope he is going to spread it for us too!

Thoroughly enjoying our little place relaxing and working on hobbies. We picked enough chokecherries for 10 gallons off wine. Look forward to the tasting in two years time. While the lady wife was picking the berries she heard a rustle in the long grass coming toward her. Out came a little fawn. After about 10 minutes a snort from the bush and the fawn bounded away.
Gravel!!!
Gravel!!!
Chokecherries...soon to become wine!
Chokecherries...soon to become wine!
Curious fawn.
Curious fawn.
Moon, campfire and bug light trap
Moon, campfire and bug light trap

bugs
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 11:27

And of course some more pix from the month.
Cratered moon
Cratered moon
Going for a swim
Going for a swim
Mosquito
Mosquito
fire in the sky
fire in the sky

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.