Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Starting my cabin!!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
SonnyB
# Posted: 11 Jul 2012 10:23

Heading up to the mountains today for a few days! Dont know how much work I will get done because its and 80% chance of rain. But it will be a good time rain or shine!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 19:07

Got the front wall up this week with the help of my wife Jodi! It was in two sections and one section was really heavy for us to lift because it is a 12' high wall 16' long with one header that is three 2x8x7' and the other is three 2x8x42" long. I will post pictures later this week. Now its time to finish up the sheathing!

MJW
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 19:12

Hey Sonny,

Looking forward to seeing your new pictures.

Sounds like you are coming along with things!

SonnyB
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 11:27

Got up there this week with my son Jacob and we have all four walls sheathed!! Could not have done it without my son. I will post pictures soon!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 19:43

SonnyB
Yea.....I know all about not being able to get it done without your son or my son. In fact, Old Buddy (my son) has probably talked me into going on the hill to complete a job that I probably wouldn't have done, without him nudging me.....more time than I can think about.

It has been a great project for both of us. We have had help a few times from other family members and friends, but we have done 90% of it ourselves. Anytime I'm on that hill I just feel better about life. It is so peaceful and serene up there.

You have a great cabin in the works. Don't skimp on the photos! It keeps us up to date and you'll never regret going back looking at them!

Old Old Buddy

SonnyB
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 15:08

Here are a few pictures of the front wall Jodi and I built!
201207front_wall.j.jpg
201207front_wall.j.jpg
201207_front_wall_.jpg
201207_front_wall_.jpg
201207_front_wall_3.jpg
201207_front_wall_3.jpg
201207front_wall_4.jpg
201207front_wall_4.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 08:02

Here are some pictures of the sheathing that has been installed! Could not have dont this without my son Jacob helping me!!
201207_sheathing_on.jpg
201207_sheathing_on.jpg
201207Jacob_and_fr.jpg
201207Jacob_and_fr.jpg
201207Me_and_sheat.jpg
201207Me_and_sheat.jpg
201207corner_of_wa.jpg
201207corner_of_wa.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 9 Aug 2012 22:12

Ok I am getting close to putting a roof on and have been going back and fourth about the pitch and my interior height. I am thinking of something more like a 8/12 or 9/12 and not a 12/12 because I have 12' tall walls. I know it will be easier if I have a lower pitch than a 12/12 to install metal roofing.

Give my your opinion on if there is an advantage over one or the other! I will have a loft on both sides of the cabin so that will help on the outward preasure.

Thanks!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 15 Aug 2012 08:13

Any opinions out there? Im heading up to the cabin this weekend!

vtbros
# Posted: 17 Aug 2012 11:09

12/12 gives you added head room upstairs, well worth the extra effort to install. Not sure of your snow load, but the 12/12 will also shed snow better. Good luck.

SonnyB
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 17:25

North GA so no real snow loads to worry about!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 17:59

Here's one I built with 8/12 over three sissors trusses in Canada.

Owen
8/12 pitch
8/12 pitch

SonnyB
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 21:47

Worked on the cabin this weekend but just did little things like finish up small pc. of sheathing on the walls, put double top plate and burn limbs.

I am thinking of maybe even hiring someone to frame up the rafters/trusses,install the roof sheathing, soffit and fascia, and putting on the metal roof! I know I will not have much time over the next 3 months and it would be nice to go ahead and have it dried in!

Can anyone give me a rough cost of what it would be to do this on a 20x32 with 12' walls with a 10/12 pitch?

Thanks for any help!

SonnyB
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 21:40

Had a few guys come up and look at roofing the cabin. I have a 20x32 1 1/2 story with 12' walls. I will find out by fri what their cost is.

SonnyB
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 09:02

What is the advantage or disadvantage of having sheathing on the rafters or just having 1x4 strips every 2' for the metal roof?

I was told if I put the titanium paper down then it would be fine with just the 1x4 strips and did not need the sheathing?

What do you think???

SonnyB
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:12

Need some help! Please answer above!

Skidster
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 11:55

Sonny

New here but have been looking at building a cabin with loft that is 24x30-32. Can you give me a guesstimation of cost to put it up? Thanks for the help

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 21:44

SonnyB---i put 2 x 4's on my rafters, no PT as per metal company-- screwed the green metal to the 2 x 4"s........put DURA Vent ( google it) between the rafter's as a after thought, it has been insulated and no problems what so ever...just my 2cents

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Sep 2012 22:02

Skidster I have the foundation in with post and all the walls up that are 12" tall the cabin is 20x32 with 12 ' walls and I have about $5000 so far in material. I think I can finish it complete at about $15000.

SonnyB
# Posted: 21 Sep 2012 08:01

Ok Im heading up this weekend to get a few things done!

Going to put some post in the ground for a gate or chain going across the drive to keep people from driving down the drive way.

Cut and install the let-ins for the loft.

If I get it all done I will be glad!

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 09:15

Got the bathroom and kitchen framed with one of the loft framed!

Next weekend the other loft will be framed if the rain stays away!

Here are a few pics!
Jodi_at_window.JPG
Jodi_at_window.JPG
Jodi_installing_loft.jpg
Jodi_installing_loft.jpg
Me_on_loft.JPG
Me_on_loft.JPG

SonnyB
# Posted: 27 Sep 2012 08:19

Heading up to work on the second loft tomorrow! Will pick up my timbers cut from the saw mill tomorrow!

Ready to install the second loft!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 17:02

Jodi and I went up this last Fri and picked up a load of timbers! I love the look of big timbers! Then we cut the 8x8 post and but and installed the 4x10 beam!
Load_of_timbers.jpg
Load_of_timbers.jpg
loft_2.jpg
loft_2.jpg
Me_installing_post_a.jpg
Me_installing_post_a.jpg
Me_with_finished_sec.jpg
Me_with_finished_sec.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 17:12

Bad news is that we have had a lot of rain and Jodi was walking down the walk board going out and slipped and fell and hit her back and head! We finished up working and Jodi said her head hurt a little.

Got to work Monday and Jodi felt dizzy and went to doc. They sent her to hospital to get a MRI and she has a concussion and will be out of work for a few days!

Jodi said she's ready to get back up there this coming weekend a do a little more work! She's a trooper and never complains and works really hard! I proud of her!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 17:36

Question for yall? Is it ok to use 1/2" bc plywood for my roof sheathing if rafters are 2'oc? I know 7/16 OSB will flex way too much.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Oct 2012 11:07

Quoting: SonnyB

Bad news is that we have had a lot of rain and Jodi was walking down the walk board going out and slipped and fell and hit her back and head!

OUCH! That doesn't sound fun at all...I hope she is feeling better soon! Hard to sit out a weekend, especially as weather begins to cool and days get shorter.

You are making wonderful progress on your cabin. It will be a fantastic feeling getting it dried in-a big sigh of relief

SonnyB
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 12:38

Did a lot of work this last few days! We built the trusses and have them all installed!!

I will post pictures soon!

SonnyB
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 09:15

Have pictures of our work!
Starting_to_install_.jpg
Starting_to_install_.jpg
Putting_up_some_trus.jpg
Putting_up_some_trus.jpg
Work_site_with_grand.jpg
Work_site_with_grand.jpg
Trusses_up.jpg
Trusses_up.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 09:17

More pics!
Other_side_double_tr.jpg
Other_side_double_tr.jpg
Looking_up_from_unde.jpg
Looking_up_from_unde.jpg
Looking_up_at_trusse.jpg
Looking_up_at_trusse.jpg
Have_double_trusses_.jpg
Have_double_trusses_.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 09:21

Jodi working hard! Her new favorite tool, palm nailer!!
Jodi_on_walkboard_wo.jpg
Jodi_on_walkboard_wo.jpg
Jodi_working_hard_pu.jpg
Jodi_working_hard_pu.jpg
All_trusses_up.jpg
All_trusses_up.jpg
Close_up_of_gusset.j.jpg
Close_up_of_gusset.j.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.