Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Starting my cabin!!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 .
countrygirl
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 14:29

I can't imagine. So sorry for your loss. Great that your able to head out to your cabin soon. Hope the time at the cabin give you some rest, and peace.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 09:37

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your main home!

You must be so busy with building, not to mention EXHAUSTED! However, I'm sure you are anxious to get back to your beautiful cabin and continue working on it.

Don't forget to rest a little, too

SonnyB
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 10:26

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone!

We are moved into our new home now! I am 95% complete so I will be able to start back on the cabin soon. I hope to be able to head up to the cabin around Thanksgiving break!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 14:29

uh... pictures of the new home.. duh!.. ;)

Russ

Smawgunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 15:29

Holy cow...I was reading this thread from the beginning and getting excited about the progress and then the fire! Wow....I can't even imagine how devastated you are. Good luck with the new place and on the new cabin...keep us posted!

DackRetreat
# Posted: 18 Nov 2013 21:53

Best of luck with your newly rebuilt home. Your cabin looks awesome and gives the feelings of being nestled in the woods. I can't wait to see more progress as you get back to it.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 07:45

Glad to hear no one was hurt in the fire. A set back however as they start at the beginning and work to the end. Really looking foward to more pics of the cabin. Looking at those walls - tall - fell off a ladder two years ago at my place putting on the last of the cedar shingles and it was no where as tall - your walls give me a shiver! LOL!

SonnyB
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 14:18

Some have asked for me to post some pic's of my new home I built so here are a few pics of my new home I just built!
Framing_from_lake_si.jpg
Framing_from_lake_si.jpg
Lake_view_2.jpg
Lake_view_2.jpg
Lake_view.jpg
Lake_view.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 5 Dec 2013 13:52

Stove pipe is ordered and will be installed in a few weeks! Cant wait so I can have some heat!!

neb
# Posted: 5 Dec 2013 20:23

That is a very nice cabin WOW!

SonnyB
# Posted: 6 Dec 2013 08:49

Thanks but that's my main home I just built because my home burnt to the ground. My cabin is only 20'x32'! But I love the cabin style home I built.

SonnyB
# Posted: 18 Dec 2013 13:44

Headed to the cabin over Christmas break! Everyone have a safe and Merry Christmas and New Years!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 10:29

Winter break is next week for our school system so it will be time for me to head back to the mountains for a few days and get some work done!

I'm ready to get back up there, it is so peaceful and refreshing!

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Feb 2014 11:05

Got the wood stove installed and my first fire in it! Spent the night and stove kept it warm all night but did not get real cold 48 degrees.
wood_stove_installed.jpg
wood_stove_installed.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Feb 2014 17:59

Your new home looks great! Lotta hard work, but I am sure you are enjoying it! Also glad you got back to the cabin

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 17 Mar 2014 05:44

SonnyB your new lake home looks fantastic. I hope it makes up, even a little, for the one you lost to the fire.

I hope progress speeds along on your cabin now, so that some well deserved r&r can kick in.

SonnyB
# Posted: 5 May 2014 14:30

Just got septic permit!! So we will have septic sometime this summer along with water and power! Will make it a lot easier with all that!

SonnyB
# Posted: 15 Jul 2014 15:04

Ok its time to get back at it! Going up this week to just do a little cleaning and see how things are.

dtucker73
# Posted: 15 Jul 2014 15:27

Just read your post from beginning to end. So sorry about the fire, your new home is amazing. I also love your cabin. Hope you keep posting pictures.

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 09:21

Going up to the cabin for about 5 days to get some work done with this cool weather we will have this weekend! Have water and power being ran Monday and Tues of next week! No more having to use the generator to power everything.

Here is what I want to get done: start on front deck, install meter base for power company to hook to, install panel for power, finish up flooring lofts, cut and spray weeds around fire pit and cabin, and cut some fire wood!

Will post some pictures later! Yall have a great weekend!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2014 09:23

Thanks dtucker73!

SonnyB
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 13:52

Had a major problem this week. New building inspector now and he is saying I cant be on post or pillars and must have a continues footing! So no power or water installed this week!!

I am having to refill my permit since its been over a year, and I explained about my home burning but sorry, and the cost is around $300! He said I could dig the footings around my post and then tie them in with rebar and then have concrete block pillars every 8" and that would be code. I told him I have post every 4' but he said they are not code. So I am backing up a little but should have the new footing done by Christmas! Then I will be up to code!!

Hope everyone else is having better luck with build permits than me! Have a great week!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 15:39

They called me (Building Permit Office) at 3 on Wed. and told me I had to drive back up there to sign all the permit papers within 24 hours or I would be in code violation and could be fined! I asked them if they could fax or email them to me and I was told no I would have to come do it in person.

So I had to drive 2 1/2 hours up there N. GA and filled out all the paperwork in about 15 minutes and paid $300 and I now have a permit!! Then got in my truck and headed south for another 2 1/2 hours. I am just glad it was a nice day and no traffic!

SonnyB
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 10:41

I have the new footings with rebar in so it is continuous all the way around! Now its time to put in 8x8 post every 8' to make it "up to code". Then I can start on my decks and then the exterior siding!

SonnyB
# Posted: 3 May 2016 13:47

Been a while but have all the 8x8 post installed with 2x4 bracing between them to install sheathing on for underpinning.

SonnyB
# Posted: 18 Aug 2017 14:25

Ok been a while since I have been on here. A lot has been happening but life is good and I'm ready to start back this fall on my cabin!

I have started the underpinning with 1/2" PT plywood. Then I will start on the decks to go around. Will post pictures soon!

KabinKat
# Posted: 21 Aug 2017 21:58

Sonny,

Thanks for the update! I've been following you most of the way!
Great work there! Lookin' forward to those pictures!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.