Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Central Wisconsin Cabin Build
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 19:58 - Edited by: Sustainusfarm

Here are some youtube videos of the burning and snowshoeing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew8VDUSkUkQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvWOVTx6c4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srazws0rJtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzqqfkJ2QM

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 21:47

We had a chimney fire!!! And of all times to have it! as we started burning the largest brush pile in the yard Jason noticed some sparks coming out of the chimney on the cabin! You can imagine how quickly I ran inside to grab the fire stick, ignite it and toss it in the fire! It went out quickly but without knowing if there was any damage we had to go without a fire for the night! The next morning we took the entire stove and stove pipe apart and cleaned and inspected it thoroughly...no damage at all.....we did get most of the brush piles burned as well....it now looks a bit better outside with all that trash burned....pics to follow after I clean my undies out!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 21:59

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
.pics to follow after I clean my undies out!!

Whoa...is that how you add excitement to your weekend?????

Glad you had no damage! When is the last time you had cleaned out the chimney? And what are these fire sticks you speak of? AND such a cold dang weekend to go without a fire for the night-DANG, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 22:19

TB...they are called Chimnex fire extinguishers...they are just like a roadside flare, you strike the end to light it then toss it into the fire and close up the door and shut down the air...poof! Out goes the fire!
Got mine from Menards....trusty ole Menards!

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 22:28

MUST get ourselves some of those! Thanks Dave.

Did you have a lot of build up or do you think the high winds caused a downdraft? Is that what they are called?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 19:45

Update on that Chimney fire stick thingey....we just got a new one for $19.99 at Farm and Fleet...
Its been a month since we have been to the cabin! I am saving my money for a real well this spring! We want to start planting apple trees and we will need a drip irrigation system to keep them alive...we are doing our research now....

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 13:25

dave, do you have an email acct i can contact you at?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 14:31

drosenlund@realtyexecutives.com
The booties are done! I need to know where to send them to??

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 14:40

Dang, I tried that twice and both times it came back. I'll try again.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 7 Mar 2013 22:38

Went to the cabin for a snowstorm...fun, quiet, and we had to walk in since there was so much snow! We were lazy and that's exactly what we wanted....

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 19 May 2013 23:47

Ahha!!! Finally went back to the cabin last week after a long 2 months of waiting for the snow to melt! It was a balmy 75 degrees for both days that we were there which allowed us to do some spring cleanup....we also met the guy who will be drilling us a REAL well with a full 6"casing and a pressure tank that is lowered directly into the well casing some can have water anytime of the year! We should have a well in 2 weeks...I will video the unique pressure tank install and post it here...
There are a lot of dead trees from the beetle infestation from last years drought...there has been plenty of rain this year so we are hoping more damage will not occur!

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 May 2013 08:41

Exciting news about your well! Glad you finally got back to your cabin

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 20 May 2013 15:32

Here is a link to the in well pressure tank!
http://www.inwelltech.com/notank.html

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 24 May 2013 12:31

OK...we are scheduled for the well to be drilled the week of June 3rd!! I can hardly wait for the first wet t-shirt contest and unlimited water to water plants, animals and ourselves! Now I am off the buy hoses, heat tape and pipe insulationh ....oh and by the way my dad is paying for the well! He is the best dad ever!! Thanks Dad!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 May 2013 06:39

I've never wanted to waste the water, but now that I think of it, I've got to get a well. That T shirt contest has got me thinkin'.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 26 May 2013 08:02

Here is a spring video tour of the cabin.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=kzDukZ61G1o

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 May 2013 09:02

It's not working for me.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 26 May 2013 09:28

Try this....this is my page on YouTube ....all my videos are there as well as the one above!
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/SustainUsFarm?feature=guide

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 May 2013 07:07

Maybe it's just me, but no it doesn't work.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 May 2013 22:46

Nice of your dad to buy your well That's awesome of him

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 30 May 2013 22:47

Can't wait to hear how this works out for you the first winter. We lost a pressure tank aready because we didn't quit close the water off enough, or drain it correctly. New pressure tank needed before we have running water again.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 31 May 2013 08:30

I'll post pics and video when it's being done

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 01:02

A bit of dissapointment yesterday...we went to the cabin to install the 220v line for the new well pump and ...well....at least we got all the parts... it was a nice day and with all the dreaming of what it was gonna be like with "real" water we did not get one thing done! LOL
Tonight I get a call at 7pm from the well guy saying they will be ready to drill in the morning (monday)! WHAAAAT??? He wanted to do it while I was not there and I said no that I would prefer I was there in case of some unknown...he hung up on me! Oh well..he was supposed to give me a few days notice not 10 hours notice! More to come.....

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 10:50

He's sounding sneaky to me...

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:17

Me, too......

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 12:31

Some contractors seem go be a law unto themselves.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 17:51

I want to be there so I know he is not using used parts like pumps, wiring etc.!! We will see how long it takes to get water now.....

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 17:31

OK...As of last Friday we are getting a well drilled this Wednesday! then they called and said not Weds. because it might rain and storm...Bummer!
We spent this past weekend at the cabin and had Jason's dad bring down his 4wheeler to help us pull out some of this horrible slash left over form the "logging operation from hell". Well it sure looks great now! We had been pulling all these branches around by hand and piling them up to burn...amazing what a 4wheeler can accomplish in 2 days, basically he drove the 4wheeler and I hooked up the trees with chain then he pulled them away...at first we were stacking them to burn, then we decided that "why not just drag them somewhere on the property that we cannot see and let them rot"!! Eureka, bye, bye ugliness! We got most of the property cleared and now I can sit on the porch and not see dead bright orange trees piled all over....
Now I am not deppressed when I pullin the drive...with the dead trees gone and all the rain the woods are looking lush again and a bunch of small trees are starting to sprout!
New Update as of this afternoon...well going in end of this weekor Monday!
photo_1.JPG
photo_1.JPG
photo_2.JPG
photo_2.JPG
photo_3.JPG
photo_3.JPG
photo_4.JPG
photo_4.JPG

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 17:48

Glad to hear well is going in soon. I know it made a HUGE difference for us. Like the cleared out trees too. The small trees and other lush foliage will fill in quickly, and you will enjoy it. Throw out some wildflower seeds and you will have a burst of color too.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 22:13

Thanks!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.