Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Seal coat for river rocks
dstraate
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 15:46

Hello All,

Finally set down a counter top on the cabinets that I pulled from a demo. Right now it's just river rocks in thinset.

Another forum member mentioned using poly acrylic as a finisher, but I can't seem to find anything about products or specific application on the web. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and would mind giving me a couple sentences to shout out a product and a basic idea on how/why to apply it. Might get a chance to do this project Friday night (Yee Haw!)

Montanan
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 17:28

I'm not sure if this is what the other post was talking about, but we're doing a bar top with bottle caps and it will be finished with a clear epoxy that your pour in as liquid and then it sets up as solid. It will hopefully look as good as this:
botte cap table in epoxy
botte cap table in epoxy
Another example of the clear coat look we're trying to achieve.
Another example of the clear coat look we're trying to achieve.

Montanan
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 17:29

P.S. The product used here was "US Composites Kleer Kote table top epoxy." We haven't tried it yet.

Montanan
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 17:40

Here's a link to another approach to finishing/sealing a river rock counter:

http://sixbusyrabbits.blogspot.com/2010/07/countertop-river-rocks-and-oak-trees.html

dstraate
# Posted: 17 Oct 2012 12:16

Thank you much, I really love the job the busy rabbits did. Mine is a bit more, rugged, err, rustic, err natural. (Trying to figure out what to tell the wife)

bobbotron
# Posted: 17 Oct 2012 16:07

If you do epoxy, make sure the ambient temperature is good, and wear a respirator. That's a big surface, you'd get a ton of off gassing.

Bevis
# Posted: 17 Oct 2012 18:58

Montanan, yes that is what I was talking about in the other post.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 09:51

We want to do this on a table top we need to make-any suggestions or helpful hints? I'm guessing it takes a while to cure so probably a project that is gonna have to wait for warmer temps in the cabin again(after we leave).

dstraate
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:07

Alright, I guess we're going with Aqua Mix Gold Sealer, and gray grout. I'll be back with pictures Tuesday.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:10

Good luck!!!! Hope it goes smoothly

Montanan
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 12:02

Looking forward to seeing the photos! Here's another cool look, I think:
River_rock_table.jpg
River_rock_table.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 17:54 - Edited by: trollbridge

That is cool. What we are going to do is a tabletop that in the center will have an old bucksaw blade and a bunch of old square head nails scattered around-maybe some other stuff too. It is a table that originally had a glass insert for the top but when I bought it at a yard sale it was missing the glass.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.