- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Log Cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
silverwaterlady
# Posted: 4 Oct 2016 12:02

TY Hattie.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 01:42

Your cabin and property are absolutely beautiful. Your attention to detail is amazing!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 14:43

TY Julie.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 11:40 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We had yet to give our camp a name until I started getting heavily into researching our families genealogy this fall.

I knew DH's family were pioneers in our camp area. They hewed a successful farm out of heavy woods in the spring of 1879,just as we have a cabin in 2006.I didn't know they gave the farm a name until last night.

His Great Great Grandfather named the farm Pure Spring Farm.

We have two springs on our property so we've decided to name our camp "Pure Springs Camp".

TerraLove
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 12:45

A few things surprise me in these pictures. I grew up in one, than another log house and watched/helped building quite a few.

In my experience the windows would have every other log cut. This way the walls do not need reinforcement while it is being built. The remaining logs would be cut right before installing the frame, one window and door at a time.

Also, we would lay moss or hemp fibres between the logs as they are being laid, then peck additional moss or fibres after the structure is finished if anything was missed.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 14:53

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I am in the process of finding reproduction square iron nails.

I bought some on amazon. I even soaked them in salt water to make them rusty.

These are what I got, they come in different length. I used mine in the mantle to hank socks, traps etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Steel-Clinch-Rosehead-Square-Nails/dp/B005THUSFQ/ref= sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480621942&sr=8-2&keywords=square+nails

TerraLove
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 15:58

You can also blue them by dipping in cola for a few weeks, it gives steel deep black bluing. It only has to be cola containing orto-phosphoric acid.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 19:01 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

These are the nails I used. The company is the oldest nail company in the USA 1819.

Can't really see them in my photo,they were used to decorate the pantry doors. I have some left over for other projects.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Aug 2017 13:03

The spray foam is finally in!!!
That is a relief and should help with the battle of the mice.

I made date squares for the first time at camp. Never could but now I have a oven. That changed meals in a good way.
They came out a little messy because I cut them when they were warm. Lesson learned. They were super yummy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Date Squares
Date Squares

olskool
# Posted: 14 Aug 2017 07:04

very nice!

naturelover66
# Posted: 14 Aug 2017 15:52

Looks great!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Oct 2018 20:50

It's been a very nice and stressful summer.
It's our first year of retirement. We spent four months at the cabin.

This year has been the final push to get it all done.
There will be a few years of finish work DH and I will need to do.

Will be returning soon because we are 21 days behind in construction. Hope we don't get snowed in until spring.
Deck South Side
Deck South Side
Deck North Side
Deck North Side
Stone floor in bath
Stone floor in bath

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 19 Oct 2018 21:13 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We are adding a four season porch to the front of the cabin.

We went back and forth on making it a screened porch. That would have been less expensive but not very practical since we are in Northern Ontario. We will get much more use out of it adding Windows and spray foam.

Each post will have a forest green double hung window between.

A full glass door will be on the north side so as not to block the lake view.

A white cedar ceiling will be added above the posts. It will also be the floor to the upstairs mini loft we are calling the treehouse.
There is room for a built in twin long bed. I think this will make for a perfect reading nook.

DH and I will be spending next summer doing a five step process to the logs so they will blend in with the rest of the cabin.

We also will be doing the finish work inside since the budget doesn't extend any further to hiring it out.
Flatting out the last log
Flatting out the last log
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 20 Nov 2018 21:02

Winter weather hit.

Our contractor got sick. He’s going to be okay. Had quite a few days of worry over him. But he’s on the mend and things could have been much worse.

It’s going to warm up enough to melt the snow and with some help he should be able to install the door and windows.
552647CF501743D79.jpeg
552647CF501743D79.jpeg
the bridge my hubby built
the bridge my hubby built
Our road this morning
Our road this morning

ColdFlame
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 13:06

The addition looks wonderful - great job!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 14:52

Thank You ColdFlame.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 15:30

So beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing this with us!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 15:34

The ceiling. Before and After.
7DA248A3C40C4D60A.jpeg
7DA248A3C40C4D60A.jpeg
E235C1622B28467D8.jpeg
E235C1622B28467D8.jpeg

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 15:37

Looks like paradise 😀

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Nov 2018 15:38

The floors are done. Stone in the bathroom, mud room and entryway. The remainder is hickory.
ECAF3E3B6A9D448F8.jpeg
ECAF3E3B6A9D448F8.jpeg
10A350F9F2CA45DCB.jpeg
10A350F9F2CA45DCB.jpeg
95B7B6E669EF46479.jpeg
95B7B6E669EF46479.jpeg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 00:34

Thank You hattie and naturelover66.

manny
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 09:21

Beautiful work.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:27

Thank You manny.

beachman
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 13:17

Love that stone floor in the bath and entry. Inlaid just perfectly. I am envious!

Absolutely
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 16:47

That stonework is gorgeous. I like the ramps, too. I much prefer them over stairs where the landscape permits them. To me they feel more natural.

In our area the boards can get slippery, though, so I added self-adhesive anti-slip strips to aid traction.

You really have a beautiful spot and i hope you both have many happy years together there.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 17:01

Thank You beachman and Absolutely.

We had the deck built out of rough sawn white cedar. One reason was because I wanted the grip on the ramps. And of course it will age beautifully without any expensive product to apply.

You are right about those strips. I had to purchase them from Amazon. But I did that after I slipped on another ramp at camp and sprained my ankle. That happened last summer.

Janemarie
# Posted: 25 Nov 2018 21:16

You said you posted more pictures and I can't find them. Also, tell me how you came by your moniker Silverwaterlady. It is very nice.

Janemarie
# Posted: 25 Nov 2018 21:19

LOVE the stone work you posted on the 21st. LOVE it.

Janemarie
# Posted: 19 Dec 2018 20:51 - Edited by: Janemarie

I love everything about this but especially the STAIRS. They're a real labor of love and work of art. Nice son, there Silverwaterlady. Also, your screened in porch takes this from being a cabin to being a LODGE. So nice.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 20 Dec 2018 01:41

Thank You Janemarie.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.