Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 20 x 24 getting started Northern WI
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
tsvoyager
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 21:36

Well here is the new improved floor plan. first floor and loft area. Let me know what you all think.
DSCN1285.JPG
DSCN1285.JPG
DSCN1286.JPG
DSCN1286.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 16:20

Looks good! I'm glad you found a workable solution. It's like a puzzle and a challenge to get as many "wants" into the allotted space.

Good score on the windows...a win-win for each of you Now you will have all winter to keep looking for all sorts of deals for the cabin.

Enjoy your time off from work....be productive if ya want to!!!

tsvoyager
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 22:51

Thanks Troll, It works for me, so now if I don't tweak it I'll be ready for next spring.... Thanks for your help with it.
Going to check criegs list on the patio doors and the loft window I'll need. Been checking out a few stores for things I'd like to put in to it, but those are all down the road.
I still need to check on storage tanks to see if I can get something fitted in on the eve ends for water, and find a way to fill them from rain water, even if that's going to be with a pump for now.
At least now I know the structure can be built with everything as far as plumbing and elect works and where they are going to come in

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 10:53

It feels really good to be sure of the details, doesn't it?
Sometimes getting started is the hardest part.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 01:47 - Edited by: tsvoyager

It sure does! It feels good knowing it's what I've wanted all along. Everything fits, I didn't have to give up much in the planning. Open stair case with storage, nice size kitchen, decent size living room and a good size master bedroom with some added storage. Added to the plan is an entry way/mudroom off to the west. coat racks out there to keep more room in the storage shed and keep from tracking in too much mud.
After I finished up the design, I went on the net and found this picture. Pretty close to what I'd like it to look like when I'm finished. Fridge would be moved and island would go to the north wall, but the rest is about right. I even get to keep the walls open for the windows and the view
Kitchen_design.jpg
Kitchen_design.jpg

tsvoyager
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 02:06

On a different note, the reason I've had the time to tweak the planning, Good drugs again. I blew out my pectoral and scapula muscles a few weeks ago while taking a trailer off the truck the week I was up to finish up the logs. It didn't feel bad that week and I went back to work for 4 days in spite of not doing well. I couldn't sleep on Thursday night and ended up hitting the ER. That was the 1st of November and I haven't been back to work since. Dr says a few more weeks. I say it can't be. I'm on unpaid medical leave. I just started doing some therapy for range of motion.
Gawd it sucks to get old But it slowed me down a bit now and beginning to realize, I ain't a young pup anymore. That's been the hardest truth to face up to in a long time.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 07:36

Well, finally healed up.. again...and able to move the arm once again. Worked 2 weeks and another plant shutdown for the holidays.
I'm still playing with the plans.. seems I'm never happy...lol. I'm sticking with the last set unless I find something I really like that's different.
I got to spend 7 days at the camper with my grandson and son over Thanksgiving and got a little hunting in. No deer for the freezer again. The grandson came to Papa' s for Xmas again so its been a good couple of months that way.
I met a Lady friend that lives close to the land and have enjoyed the company. Its amazing how two strangers can think alike. I showed her my plans and asked for her input to get another's perspective. Its amazing how close her thoughts were to mine. Rustic all the way. Even down to decor on the walls. She came down here for Xmas and after seeing what I have been accumulating for the storage shed, she picked out most of what is accually going in .... hopefully. Thing will change once I get to that stage. I'm sure.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 09:24

Yay! Glad to hear you are all healed up Now quit hurting yourself, would ya!

Glad you have been spending time with your grandson...lucky you and have fun getting to know your new lady friend!

tsvoyager
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 18:32

Lol.. I wish I could quit getting hurt. Its getting frustrating. But life goes on. Just finished painting the guest room at home. ( it use to be my den) now on to making the former guest room a den, then re- doing the master bedroom. New drywall and then paint.
I hope everyone had a Marry Christmas. I know I did.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 21:17

Well... it seems like everything that's been happening is pushing me to the north woods.. as in a permanent move. I was laid off at work again and probably not going back.apparently filing a complaint against a full time employees doesn't get you any favors. I'm not fired but it will be awhile before I get back to work as things just happened to slow down. So it looks like a move is in order as soon as the weather warms up. Just getting an earlier start on the storage shed than expected. When one door closes, another opens!
Ive already put in a few applications up there. Heading up in a few weeks to check out the papers once again.
The cabin WILL be up this year come hell or high water!

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 13:10 - Edited by: trollbridge

I like your attitude Keep your chin up!
There is always a bright side....I am excited to see you get a start on your place.
Best of luck with the job search....it will happen.
Take care

Oh...and stay warm, too

tsvoyager
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 15:46

Thanks troll. I'll be heading up to set down permanent roots at the end of march or early April. Yes the snow blower is going with. I'll have to come back home a few times to pack up things as I can. Going with a small storage shed and work shop for now and I'll build the larger "storage shed" later this year. Hope this crazy weather stops soon. Got the itch to get started building!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Mar 2014 12:06

Hey! Wow...lotsa changes coming your way! Did you find a job up that way?
So you are going to build a little she'd first? Sounds like a great plan! I hope it goes smoothly for you. Exciting but stressful time tooweather is nuts! So much cold and so much snow. I can't believe it is march! The other dayaI was in southern Minnesota sand the drifts along the interstate were as tall as my van. The plows had been out cutting into them to clear the shoulders. That night I read that they got another 10.5 inches. Crazy! Yup...the snowblower has definitely been a necessity this winter!

Take care
Keep me updated.

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Mar 2014 12:10

Posted using my phone. Ignore the mistakes and changed words. Hope you can decipher everything

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Mar 2014 08:03

Come up and join us. At least those of us still here. LOL.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 7 Mar 2014 10:45

Only a few more weeks and I will join you. Really look forward to the move too. waiting on mother nature to loosen her grip on this crazy winter

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Mar 2014 18:28

Spring in the Northland ......It's a wonderful thing!

tsvoyager
# Posted: 7 Mar 2014 18:45

Not sure of your definition of spring Owen. But its not quite warm enough for me yet.. not living in a camper anyway

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 07:39

I was just conjuring up an old memory of sitting on my cabin porch in march sunshine, water dripping off the roof, my feet up, my face feeling the sun's heat, drinking coffee, and listening to the chickadees.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 10:34

I'm looking forward to doing that soon. Plug in the ear and kickin back

tsvoyager
# Posted: 27 Apr 2014 23:42

well, winter is almost over around here. The snow has melted, or so I'm told. I haven't been up to the land since Feb. 2 weeks ago I took a temporary job in IL, repairing a tree house of all things. A company built one in my home town back in 2002 and I helped out there. I kept in contact with one of the workers (now part owner) and after touching base with him in March he invited me to come help out on one they built back in 2006. No one thought to stain and protect the wood, hence the repairs. These tree houses are NOT meant to be taken apart as there are so many things built to fit, compound angles cut to fit so it's been an adventure. (This puppy cost around $750,000 to build (that's not a typo) The company (The Tree House Guys) just finished two builds in Hawaii one is to air on tv some date in the future. The money is good and I love the job. The job should be done by the end of the week and I'll be heading home to put the house on the market and moving north within the next month.
1374948_102018163149.jpg
1374948_102018163149.jpg
10171302_10201853815.jpg
10171302_10201853815.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 06:55

That's a cool looking building. I don't understand that kind of expenditure.
Spring is slow in coming here. Bring it with you.

Owen

tsvoyager
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 08:22

I can see the cost now that I've helped with two. between the materials used, the knowledge needed and equipment, and the amount of time it takes (this one took 6 or 7 people 4 months).
It is handicap accessible, every joint has a special bracket that has to be custom made seeing as no two are alike. The wood is called Ebay (sp) Very hard, rot resistance and very expensive and it is used on the ramp and railings. The owners aren't getting rich (well off maybe but not rich) This one as in most of the tree houses are built with donations.
This company (formally Forever young tree houses Now The Tree house guys) have built around 50 in 21 states. Some are public parks, some are for Handicap camps. The next one is for a "Make A Wish" kid in IN. it will be a small tree house in a back yard for a child's wish come true.
It's raining here today so a day off. I'll see what I can do about bringing some nice weather up with me, but no complaints if I bring rain (remember my place isn't called "Rainy Day Acres" for nothing...

tsvoyager
# Posted: 14 Jul 2014 14:14

Well. Its been awhile since I've posted any updates. I've been moving things up for the last 2 months. And trying to get some work done. To me it doesn't look much different but I've got another 20 trees down and cut up from the cabin area. I haveca few more to cut down and the excavator can come in and start leveling the sight. (Bobcat is already here). Its raining off and on today so planing a trip to Menard's in minquia vtoday to look at shower surrounds for a remodel job I hope to get. I have maybe 2 more loads of things to bring up then the house is on the market and ill be up here full-time. I hope to be building with in the next few weeks.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 21:13

Well the excavation work is all.but done now. Next is to bring in a few loads of gravel for the ca... (Sorry) Storage shed site and for the driveway. The driveway is now a foot and a half to two feet taller. I had to put all the soil somewhere. That made it easier to grade the site as I didnt have to go down as far to make it some what level. As I posted earlier I've cut another twenty trees from around the site as I want at least 20 feet of cleared space from around the cabin.
I found a few pictures of what I'm looking to do for inside the shed. The cooking area and a nice look to cabinets under the steps. I wanted to make drawers from the 3 steps before the landing and storage under the rest. I found a picture of exactly what I wanted. Now if I can build it to look like it is in the picture. ( it would be a nice addition for storage. I have about 3 weeks worth of things to do here before I put the house on the market then I can move up to the land full time. I can put all my energy into building before the snow flies. I hope to have the cabin up and closed in before the end of Sept and then get the inside insulated after that. The loft and bathroom areas can wait until the snow flies.
IMG_256652762348147..jpeg
IMG_256652762348147..jpeg
IMG_256567867155116..jpeg
IMG_256567867155116..jpeg

tsvoyager
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 21:38

I forgot to add: its been taking awhile to get everything done here. I couldn't get into my driveway for three weeks because the city decided it was a good time to redo the sewer system under the street. As soon as that was done and I could get in to the driveway I caught and ear infection along with bronchitis and sinus infection. So I've been unable to do much of anything for 6 weeks. Ibhave done what I could but it was a long day trying to breathe and not fall over if I bent over to pick something up. Things are looking up now.

tsvoyager
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 08:43

Well. I came up Friday and all the gravel is down and leveled out. I need to get the building permit for the storage shed now. Installed a garage door for my girlfriends landlord over the weekend. I'm leaving today to get my work trailer so I can begin building next week!

tsvoyager
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 01:04

Well 15 holes dug for the post. 8 post are in and squared out. I had to come back to town for plywood for the deck once the floor joists are in. I'll get the rest of the post set this weekend (depending on the weather)
After 11 years the dream is becoming a reality! Ground has been broken and post going in. The storage shed is going up. Decided at the last moment to go 24 x 28. The extra room will be nice. With the way this year has gone, I'm not holding my breath as to how long its going to take. I've had to wait on others to this point. Now its all on me for the deck and walls. I'll need help again once the roof rafters go up. I'll be building the wall sections in 12 and 14 foot sections for ease of handling myself. I'll get everything in place for the roof so when I do have help they are ready to go.
I'm excited but it still hasn't set in that its finally happening!
IMG_20140828_1403003.jpg
IMG_20140828_1403003.jpg
IMG_20140828_1105551.jpg
IMG_20140828_1105551.jpg

tsvoyager
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 22:43

Well. I had the grandson for 4 days by myself. (He's 3 and a half) so not much work done. Today I got the rest of the post in the ground as they are talking rain and sever storms tonight (its pouring outside right now!)
Had a friend come over with his lazer level and got all the post marked for cutting to height.
Tomorrow I start moving lumber to the staging area and begin the build!

itsals1
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 08:17

Glad your project is going well! What is the closest town to you? Our small cabin is near the Spooner area. Have fun and be careful!
Travis

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.