Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Morgan County Ohio cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Sarg68
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 17:37

Osubuck,
I am putting in a Vogelzang Lil Sweetie Cast Iron Stove. Its really small. You may have seen their larger version that has two removable burner on the top. This one only has one burner and is about 1.5'x2' just right for a small cabin. Cheers. Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 17:53 - Edited by: Sarg68

Old Old Buddy,
That's really interesting about the guys driving up on your place when you were there. I have a strange situation where I own half the field along the road and another guy owns the other half. Neither side has a gate and you can't see my cabin from the road so know one really knows its there. At least for the time being! I plan to put heavy shutters on the windows and door this winter but that only does so much. The be solution will occur when I can buy the six acres of the neighbor and close it in.
The guy who owns the property beside me and most of the surrounding acreage lives in N.C. in a giant beautiful home located on a golf course. That's all according to Google. LOL
The boys and I are going down tomorrow to enjoy the after noon. A little unscheduled R&R! I need to do all the messurements for the stove placement and stove pipe installation. My pop and I are going to install it next week. I have to remember to light a fire in the stove while its outside to burn off the paint. That could be a stinky mess if I don't. Cheers Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 18:09

I'm sorry everyone replying to Old Old Buddy and Osubuck I almost for got to add some pictures of the ripe Pawpaw and my first batch of homemade biscuits.
Honestly this was the first I have ever tried a pawpaw and I have to report that they are really good. No kidding they taste like a banana and they are a strange consistency almost like custard.
It seems like the biscuits are better rolled thicker than the half inch the recipe called for so they rise more. Three of them came out great so I will try my new theory the next time. I will mess this recipe all up when I bake them in the Dutch oven at the cabin. LOL
Cheers Sarg68
Home made Biscuits
Home made Biscuits
Pawpaw
Pawpaw

old old buddy
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 21:21

Sarg68
If you have black pipe inside your cabin coming off of the stove you'll have to wait outside while it burns off as well. It smoked us out for sure.

If you use stainless steel you won't have that problem.

The only reason no one has stolen from our cabin is because it sits on top of a hill that is 4/10 of a mile up a very steep hill and no one is willing to walk to the top to see what's up there. Most of the people in the area live there and "know" that we have a cabin up there but they really "never know" when we're there...which is a good thing.

I'm going up tomorrow evening with my two grandsons (my son's and daughter's boys) and I think I got the Mrs. talked into going with us. We'll take the generator for lighting so the boys won't be afraid. I don't think we'll need the air on. Hopefully we'll have a nice camp-fire and maybe roast some marshmallows.

Your stove sounds like ours. It's a "Logwood" and it has two removeable burner plates on the top surface with a door on the front. It's about 30" long, 15" wide and about 24" high. The only part that I don't like is that it's very hard to control the temp. because the space is so small (20X16). Anyway...have a great week-end!

Old Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 07:25

Quick story from my army past;
When I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA and working as a Brigade S2 (Intellignece and Security) we went out on a training exercise. After we had set up the work area and started operation I sent two of my guys to set up our sleep area. They set up the tent and the newly issued potbelly stove and pipe and put it to use because it was starting to get cold out. The new stove with new pipe smoked out our tent and we had to sleep that cold night with the sides up because of the smell.
Moral of the story don't break in a new stove or pipe inside if you want to be warm that night.
Every body enjoy your time at the cabin and I'll talk to you when we get back from our cabin. Cheer Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 19:51

Great R&R trip today!
Started with a tall stack of pancakes at Bob Evans. From there a trip to the grand opening of the Dunham's flagship store (huge place) in Zanesville. Got two 555 round Remington 22 LR and my 21 year old Hunter picked up eight boxes of 7.62x39 and a scope for his AK47. Can't for get that Tom got a ghillie suit. You can see from the pictures that Tom was in heaven.
I took some measurements for the stove installation next week and for molding and a door on the closet/stairs that I built. We picked lunch up on our way and ate it at the cabin. Hunter didn't go to bed when he got off work at 6am so he fell asleep in one of the tree stands and when he showed up at the cabin he went inside and fell asleep again. My wife says "its a great place to take a nap".
Tom got some practice in building a fire by himself for Webelo Scouts. This is the first time I let him practice on his own while I relaxed in a chair drinking a cup of coffee. I also cleaned up his hatchet! It looked like he had been hacking away at rebar buried in concrete. We have a Meeting tomorrow morning from 10-12 to go over fire starting and knot tying in order to finish up their Outdoorsman pin. If not we would have stayed the night. Maybe next weekend. Cheers Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 20:06

Photos
New suit
New suit
Walking tree
Walking tree
Fire Starting
Fire Starting
Fire Starting 2
Fire Starting 2

Sarg68
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 19:24

I went to the cabin on Monday to install the hearth for the wood stove. I choose the paving stones that you use on your patio for landscaping with a layer of backer board. Not really sure yet what I will run up the wall but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Anyway I wanted to get it installed so it would set up prior to my son and pop going down on Friday to install the stove pipe. Major Murphy showed up and change my set up and I didn't have enough stones with me. I was short one large stone and ten then stones for the top layer. Now I will have to install them on Friday after the pipe is installed.
That's the way it goes sometimes. Step by step and finished job pictures on Friday. Cheers Sarg68
Hearth
Hearth

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 11:08

Looks good so far. Hard to finish a project without a hardware store next door!

Some stone up the wall would look nice, and help hold/radiate heat.

Sarg68
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 19:42

Well today was beautiful and very productive. My pop and 21 year old son Hunter and I got the last of the hearth stones installed and then the interior stove pipe. We then cut a hole through the side of the cabin wall with a chain saw and installed the pipe and clean out. All of this took four hours and we are all beat. We got back in town at 3:30 and at 6pm when I talked to my mom he was in the recliner and hadn't taken a shower yet. Hunter works nights and gets off at 6am and so when he goes to the cabin with me he doesn't go to bed in the morning. He is MIA after being up for 24hrs straight. LOL
I still have to go back down one day next week and add some wood outside to brace where it comes through the wall, strap it to the outside of the cabin, add the last two pipes and the cap.
I'm pretty excited my 23 year old is coming home next Friday evening from Cincinnati to stay over night at the cabin and squirrel hunt the next day.
Is there much else in the world that can make you as happy as your cabin and time there with your family. Cheers Sarg68
stove
stove
We are going to the cabin
We are going to the cabin

old old buddy
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 21:17

In answer to your questionfrom above......."There is absolutely nothing that can make you any happier than spending time at the cabin, with family and friends. Nothing. Period!

I'm excited for you to fire it up the first time. I can still remember our first fire. I have a picture on here (about 16 pages back) of my grandson, Tristin, lying on some blankets on the floor after falling asleep in Pap's warm cabin. Priceless!

Your stove looks identical to ours. You may have a little easier time controlling the heat since your cabin is larger. Whenever ours gets too hot, I just open the door. Ha!

Good luck and keep us updated. Old Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 07:49

OO Buddy,
I too went all the way through your blog from start to finish when I joined this site and saw the picture of Tristin sleeping in front of the stove; and your right its priceless! You need to take that one to Walmart in get it enlarged for O Buddy this Christmas. That's one of those family pictures that endures time. Cheers Sarg68

ErinsMom
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 09:09

Sarg68,
I would have eaten those pawpaws once the skin had turned dark.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 12:28

Nothing like getting the wood stove installed! Looks great too!!!

Your interior reminds me of ours Yay, for the red and black buffalo plaid!!!

Sarg68
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 19:45

ErinsMom,
I took those pawpaws home and ate them all up. I wasn't sure then how to tell when to eat them and to tell you the truths I'm still not sure. They were soft and had black patches on the outside so I figured I had better eat them. No stomach ach so I guess they were ripe. Anyone know if I did it right?
Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 19:47

Trollbridge,
That red really brightens up the place doesn't it? To much brown so I had to add some color to the place. Thanks Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 06:57

I've been quiet all week and it appears I may have to suffer a couple more days without a trip to the cabin. Meeting this morning with my buddy Rick who is our general contractor for the new Veterinarian Clinic my wife and I are building. Attempting to have a finished foundation next week sometime. Pop, Hunter and I plan to go today sometime after the meeting to finish up the stove installation. Columbus day is Monday and Tom and I are going to try to spend Sunday night at the cabin and part of the day Monday. Now if that's going to happen who knows. Fingers crossed everyone. Cheers Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 17:40

Update, pop and I made it to the cabin for a few hours today and got the soffit cut for the stove pipe to pass through. However, with it opened we discovered that we need some metal to cover the area we cut into the soffit and a flange. So we will need to go down for a few hours on Monday to finish up. Doesn't break my heart to have to go back down in a couple of days.
Crappy part is that we can't spend the night on Sunday as I had wanted to because we need to shoot the corners for the new building and then mark off the temporary parking area on Monday morning. Wife is happy about the new clinic which is a plus for me and I'm satisfied getting to spend a few hours at the cabin.
Well I can't wait to see everyone else's pictures from this weekend. The trees are starting to look really pretty.
Cheers Sarg68

old old buddy
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 12:07

I'm off for the week-end and ALL OF NEXT WEEK so....I will be at the cabin....needless to say. I didn't notice the leaves turning much last trip (about 10 days ago) but I'm sure they are turning now. You are getting ready to start some really remarkable family times at your cabin.

I will make one recommendation that I have yet to do and should have about two years ago. Buy yourself a journal for everyone to sign and make comments on when they visit or stay over. My grandparents had a cottage in Carroll County at a place call Stoney Lake and they had one. It ran from the 40's through the 1960's when everyone had died off or lost interest. Somehow it came up missing and I sure wish I could go through reading about my Dad growing up there as a young boy, dating my mom and taking her there, visiting with us three kids throughout the 50's, etc. Maybe it sounds "corny" but I swear I'm going to get one so the kids can start writing in it, putting a date on each entry.

Have a great fall and keep the pics coming. Old Old Buddy

Popeye
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 15:29

OOB My dad keeps a journal at his camp too. It is fun to read the 30+ years of notes. Every trip gets an entry. Some entries are as simple as "Came to feed the deer. 8" of snow." Other entries get more detail if something special happened. It is a very good reference. Writing in "the book" became as important as turning off the propane and locking the door when we left. Now that I have my own camp, I have started one.

Sarg68
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 08:05

00B and Popeye,
Well I guess that's settled then that we need a Cabin Journal! Sounds like a great idea to me too. Might be a great idea to put the temperature/weather conditions on each entry so you also have that record. That info is great for the hunters in your family one day.
Cheers Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 17:25 - Edited by: Sarg68

Finally the stove pipe is installed and we have a working stove. It appears to be in the nick of time with a cold spell headed into Ohio this weekend.
I get to head back down tomorrow night to stay the night and visit with my sons. Should be a good time and now we will be warm.
Cheers Sarg68
completed stove pipe
completed stove pipe

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 19:23 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Sarg68,

Ditto on cabin journal. My thieves were kind enough to rip out my journal pages for me when they stole my $.89 spiral notebook, new spiral notebook has my name and address in sharpie on cover to make it less reusable (they might take the blank pages though). Even the thieves respected the journal! It is fun to look back, and I cannot remember what year we did what without it...

Nice water tank! I'm using 55 gallon drums for now but hope to upgrade to a bigger tank. Want to support one on 6x6's for an outdoor summer shower. Too many projects, too little time!

Enjoy your weekend-

SE Ohio

Sarg68
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 07:34

Fall Hunt camp 2013
Well our first ever hunt camp was a huge success with the only complete being it wasn't long enough. Brendan and Hunter meet Tom and I at the cabin Friday evening with the intention of spending the night and the boys all going out squirrel hunting on Saturday morning.
We fired up the new stuff and it didn't smell all that bad burning off the coating from the pipes. We opened the windows to let the smell out and opened a couple beers (Mountain Dew for Tom) along with to many snacks and that seemed to make everything better. Tom found his place to perch and BS at the top of the stairs up to the loft like some great Horned owl waiting for a meal. He ate to much candy and drank to much Mountain Dew and laid down early with a belly ache. We ended up siting around the table BSing until midnight when the big boys got into the loft to sleep. Well that was an Epic fail! To hot to sleep in the loft so we are going to have to figure that one out.
Everyone was up at 0630 and out the door by 0700 to hunt, all but me and the dog who got an extra hour sleep before I had to start cooking packing gear and getting fires started. I took all the extra gear that has collected over the summer home and organized the remainder of the food and gear into new ZipLock storage containers. These new containers seem to be constructed well and really do seal tight. They have six locks on the large container and four on the smaller one. Ill tell you in the spring if they kept out the mice and bugs. The official count was one squirrel a piece with Hunter getting his first ever. He is near sighted and always forgets his classes until this trip. Karma (dog) was in heaven and attempted to steal the squirrels several times like they belonged to her. They got finished off over the open fire at lunch time.
I cooked two and a half pounds of thick sliced bacon and pancakes for breakfast and boy it was good.
My parents came down at lunch time to eat and visit with us around the camp fire. I cooked up hamburgers for our lunch and we got some time to visit with each other before we had to head in our different directions. Started to poor down rain and my pop has been sick with a cold so they rain for the car to leave and we went inside to get the last of our gear. Hunter had a house warming party to go to and I went home for date night with my wife. The only lucky guys were Tom and Brendan because they stayed another night at the cabin going deer hunting that night and slept in Sunday morning till 9am before the packed it away. Brendan had to stop and my parents house to pick up all his tools and drop off Tom before a three hour drive home to Cincinnati.
I sure hope I remembered everything! I hope you all have as good a week as we had at the cabin this weekend. Cheers Sarg68
Beer
Beer
Breakfast
Breakfast
Return
Return

old old buddy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 20:09

I told you we had the same problem with the heat. Once we got the cabin insulated we had a new problem....how to keep the cabin cool enough

We have learned to put just a couple of smaller split logs on at a time and to build the bed of coals up slowly. If we have about 5-6" of coals at bedtime.......and the cabin is 70-75 degrees......the coals will carry us for about 5-6 hours and at 30-35 degrees.....it will drop the temp down to around 60-63 degrees. We just get up.....put a few oak slats in and it will pick right up and keep it around the 70 degree range for another couple hours, before dropping.

Last winter my friend and I stayed over a two-night stay-over and we had the temperature at one time up to 117 degrees farenheit
The stove hot solid red circles (about 8" in diameter) on each side from the intense heat. I opened up the door, all the windows and after about 30 minutes.....it cooled down to a comfortable 80 degrees.

We have the advantage of the bunk room being 10 inches lower than the cabin floor so that room stays cooler (sometimes 5-10 degrees) and I'd rather use a heavy quilt to keep warm instead of sweating. So far....the lowest temperature we've recorded in the morning has been 61 degrees after a 5-6 hour period of no additional wood being put on the fire with an outside temperature of mid-thirties. I'm pleased with that.

I've been told by some people on here that I need to put a log on the fire before retiring to bed, that is still partially green wood called an "over-nighter." However, after trying that once that log starts to burn the temps go straight up so I do as I have written above and it works best for us. If our cabin was bigger, the over-nighter would probably work but not in our small cabin. Just food for thought

Old Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 07:40

00B,
Hell its all good! Anything is better than last years when we had to get into below zero sleeping bags.
It for sure will be a learning experience because when we got up Saturday all that was left from two small split logs was ash. My theory is I would rather put on shorts and be comfortable than wear a sweater and be uncomfortable. Well thanks again for the advice 00B talk to you later on. Cheers Sarg68

old old buddy
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 19:16

Sarg68
I received both your messages. I agree that I'd rather wear shorts than have to bundle up, but on the other hand, I'd rather have to cover up than lay in my skivvies on top of the covers with the windows open....if you know what I mean. I guess it's all in what you're use to. I like my bedroom cold but the rest of our home warm in the winter especially. My wife and I have two thick quilts on our bed in the winter. We shut off the furnace registers and it goes down to the low 60's at night depending on the outside temperature. The rest of the house is set at 71 degrees.

It's really tough trying to figure on how much wood to put in the stove and not running ourselves out sometimes, but as time goes on....I think we're doing better.

Old Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 07:55 - Edited by: Sarg68

Well fellow cabin lovers it appears that I may not make it down to the cabin this week. I went so many days in a row the week of that I stayed the night with the boys; I figured I had better take a week off. I takes me about a 1/4 tank of gas for the round trip (80 miles).

In the shop: I have to run the thickness planner today 10/29/13 on a load of quarter sawn white oak to use on three night stands I'm starting for the master bedroom and Tom's (10 year old son) room. I usually plan my boards down and then let them set for a couple of weeks in the shop for a couple weeks in my shop to stabilize. The shop is climate controlled and makes a big difference when the build starts. After I finish that messy job, I am going to put together a wood shed to take down to the cabin on Monday. With no power at the cabin it makes it easier to build it here and take it down in pieces. I found the plans somewhere on line and I will share pictures and a link next week. I need to add a tool shed at one end of the structure to leave some tool there. Have to see how that works out. It may be that I use the same plans to build a similar structure for a tool shed and use it to also house batteries and controller for a solar system. That's a project for the future.

The new veterinary clinic is moving along at a good pace now. The block foundation was finished on Saturday afternoon. Today they put in the pluming in the ground and fasteners for the walls before they poor the slab. Need some good weather for that one.
Well everyone keep up the great pictures and stories and enjoy your time at the cabin.
Cheers Sarg68

old old buddy
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 08:38

Sarg68
Are you a veterinarian? My son-in-law is a vet in Columbus. Sounds like you have your work cut (no pun intended) out for you in the coming weeks. Good luck with it. I'll tell you......if I don't get to the cabin at least once in two weeks (even for only a few hours) I feel like I have passed up on an opportunity to have some real relaxing fun.

I really like the cabin during cold weather. As long as the weather is good (no rain) I don't care about the snow or the temperature.

Have a great time on your next visit!

Sarg68
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 16:41 - Edited by: Sarg68

OOB,
The wife is the Veterinarian. I'm not smart enough for that job. Being retired from the Army I handle all the day to day stuff that most male Veterinarian's wife take care of for them raising the last child, cooking and cleaning. I love it too. From time to time I find a chance to make it out to my wood shop and gets something done. Didn't happen today as I had planned so tomorrow after I mow grass I will have to try again.
I do know what your saying, I too feel like I missed out if I don't get to the cabin once a week.
Cheers Sarg68

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.