Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Alabama Budget Build
. 1 . 2 . >>
redbeard
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 17:26 - Edited by: redbeard

Hello to all,

We bought 5 acres 3 years ago and are finally gonna build a 12x16 cabin on it starting this Sunday. Its gonna be a pay check to pay check build staring with $600. Should be enough to build foundation, floor, and frame the cabin. We are using a post and pier on cap blocks and 4x4.16 centers on framing. I will keep you informed and keep all the other great post coming. Has been an awesome inspiration for me and my family! Will post receipts as they come in, I know a lot of people are looking for budget builds, lets see if i can pull it off.
cabin site
cabin site

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 17:51

Good luck to you, I can't wait to see it.

Kudzu
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 18:39

What county in Alabama is your land located?

redbeard
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 18:55

shelby

Bevis
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 21:13

Good luck...looking forward to seeing it.

PatrickH
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 18:19

Good luck! I had a budget once, then I started building #$%$!

MJW
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 20:41

Budget?

Yeah...I remember having a budget. hahahahahaha

So much for that.......

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 00:08 - Edited by: redbeard

Here's the foundation and floor frame receipt, some of it is tools, about $55 in tools. Will post pics when done with it , will be using chainsaw I bought off Craig's for $50 to cut lumber,thought about pre cutting at my house, but that takes some of the fun out of it.....the receipt shows 2 2x6x12 that are actually 2 2x8x12 didn't catch it till now

old old buddy
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 08:05

Oh boy......I'd like to have a nickle for every Lowe's receipt I have received in the past 3-4 years!

Good luck on your build and you will love every part of it. It's not like work at all-like a labor of love. We built a 12X16 and then added another 8X16 about a year later.

I'll keep an eye on your progress

Old Old Buddy

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:01 - Edited by: redbeard

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:04

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:04

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:08

Have more cap blocks and post to go....osb floor and wall frames next week

redbeard
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:11 - Edited by: redbeard

Osb or plywood just a $40-60 over all price difference. What do yall think?

Kudzu
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 22:10

Lamar county here

redbeard
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 22:34

hello neighbor

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 00:24

You are going to want joist hangers for each end of those floor joist where they attach to the rim joist and you need to find a different way to anchor that floor to the post. As you add weight, its going to shear off those nails between rim joist and post. Add a cleat to each side of the post where the rim joist it, treated, run it clean down to the concrete pad and nail it in place or bolt it. Or cut the post off and set the rim joist right on top of the post and secure it with some strong ties. Gusset the post also to keep it from rocking. Good luck, its loads of fun.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 00:27 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: redbeard
Osb or plywood just a $40-60 over all price difference. What do yall think?

I do not have a single sheet of OSB in my cabin, hate the stuff. If it ever gets wet, it swells and turns to mush. Plywood is so much stronger and holds together much better. And it doenst smell as bad as OSB either.

redbeard
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 20:13 - Edited by: redbeard

yea I know, its just temporary for now...waiting on 4x6x20 x2 from the local mill, I will set that on 4x4 under floor, will have finished by next Monday and post...yeah in the pics its just holding it up for now.
thanks for the input dough

the 1x1 acts as a "hanger" there over rated and expensive, this is a budget build ...gotta trim da "bottom line"

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 21:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The 4X6 will easily do the job.

old old buddy
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 17:20

Looks like some real good progress! I notice that a lot of people build posts on piers and i think that is fine but we just stuck 6X6's and 4X4's in the ground with concrete around them.

You'll read some sites on here that talk about shear pressure, force,etc., and my comment to that was if my cabin gets to leaning on one end I'll drag a large log under it and jack it up to keep it from sagging. With a cabin like ours (uninsurable) I can't get all caught up in all those facts and figures. The property where we set the cabin was "fill" from coal mining back in the 30's and it's all rock. It took Old Buddy and I nearly one hour per hole to dig them (him on the spud bar and me on the post hole digger to clean the hole out or vice-versa). You got it....two man-hours per hole! I really doubt that it's going anywhere. With two 1/2" bolts per pole I figure it will stay together for some time. It's up in the air like yours. We used chip board on the bottom of the cabin to seal it up (1/2") to keep the critters out of it. I have no plans to close in the bottom, so I doubt that the chip-board will ever get damp or wet. If it does in the next ten-15 years, I'll have my grandsons put a new bottom on it! Ha!

Good luck with your continued build and keep us up to date with lots of pictures.

Old Old Buddy

Just
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 21:09

the way to have a budget build, is to, stay on budget, use the chip millions of homes have it . Try to keep it dry till you get the roof on.or if you know it's going to be a long build maybe a coat of oil based paint would help keep it dry .good luck

redbeard
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 22:58

Thought about just putting a Tarp over floor after t&g, and framing walls on top of tarp and cutting out after dry in, me and yall would be the only ones that know. You think it would trap more water than help? Or would it keep it dry?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 00:38

Redbeard, I had 6 heavy rain storms in the 9 days I was building mine. Seemed like each time it dried back out, more rain. I think as long as you keep progressing, dont worry about it. But if you leave it for a period of time, you might have to think about protecting it. If its just a floor, poke a stud up in the center to elevate the tarp and cover it, water will shed. If you have your walls framed, same deal, cover it at the top of the walls, stud in the center to create a point to shed water. If the roof sheathing is on, but no roofing, then just tack the plastic on the sheathing till roofing is installed.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 08:47

looks real good redbeard.

redbeard
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 16:48

went out today for a minute, just to check on things, failed attempt to make a video of the road going out,watch only if your bored,.........did I leave my shovel..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZPNH8g1RU

redbeard
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 22:57

Well, got the foundation done, will post pics soon, My lovely wife want to make it 8ft longer, will post receipts when I buy the lumber. will make it 12x24.....$$$$$

redbeard
# Posted: 7 Feb 2014 18:05 - Edited by: redbeard

Well heres a update
0104141629.jpg
0104141629.jpg
1207131528.jpg
1207131528.jpg
0101141307a.jpg
0101141307a.jpg
0101141308a.jpg
0101141308a.jpg

redbeard
# Posted: 7 Feb 2014 18:08

more
IMAG3078.jpg
IMAG3078.jpg
0110141536.jpg
0110141536.jpg

old old buddy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 16:25

redbeard
Looks like you're well on your way! Do you have any siding on it yet?
After we put all four walls up, and put the roof trusses on, we started covering it with a large tarp. it kept the floor dry and the untreatd walls. Seemed like we had that dang tarp on it forever before we got the metal roof on and sealed up

Just keep working it one day at a time. Before you know it.....you'll be staying overnight!

Old Old Buddy

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.