Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Chesapeake Bay Property
Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 21:04

After years of dreaming about waterfront land that I could never afford, I finally found a bank owned property that was bargain priced. I'm happy to say that the bank accepted my offer and has approved financing that I can afford. I will be closing on this land in November 2013 the way things currently stand. After closing, I plan to build a small cabin overlooking the cove. Cant wait. I love to build.
The pier
The pier
Building site
Building site
Hanging out on the dock
Hanging out on the dock
The creek
The creek

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 00:36

Slice o' heaven, Salty. Congrats

Salty Craig
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 09:41

Bldginsp, thanks! That's my thoughts also. The creek that this property is on, is a five minute boat ride from the Rappahannock River. The Rappahannock is a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. This river in my neck of the woods is 2-3 miles wide. It is world renowned for its oysters. I will have a hard time choosing between hangin out at the cabin or cruising the vast expanse of water. I have a cabin in that area already, but it's a mile inland. You mite say, "I'll be movin"

old old buddy
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 22:33

I'd say you'll have the best of TWO WORLDS! A cabin and the ocean! Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Will you ever have to worry about high water during a hurricane? Maybe it's a stupid question but it's the first thing I thought about. I'm referring to a tidal surge.

You have a beautiful piece of property there, Craig. I'm sure everything will work out well for you. Good luck

Old Old Buddy

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 20:00

Old Old Buddy, the building site has good elevation above sea level. Approx 30', which is considered well above a storm surge. Cabin should be safe!! There has been a few hurricanes enter the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and create havoc but this property should be decently protected. I'm sure pier will be submerged occasionally though . Thanks for the compliments! I am really excited to close on the property and start building. Its cool to think that my sea level dock is only a boat ride away from anywhere in the world. If I'm correct, the earth is over 75 percent water!! Not to mention that I love seafood. Thanks for checking it out. Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 19:58

So here is an update; The bank has informed me that the closing is set for November 29th!! Hows that for a Black Friday door buster? I'm getting excited now. The first thing I plan to build is a limestone fire ring. Once man has fire, everything else seems to fall in place. ;)

Salty Craig

PatrickH
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 20:59

Congrats the place looks great ,Im jealous of the dock!

adakseabee
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 12:31

Hey, Salty! Were you aware of an asteroid hit in our neighborhood (SE of your cabin on the Northern Neck, north of my home in SE VA)? It occurred only 35 million years ago, recent history in geologic time. I think it caused a little more than a 30 foot tidal wave . Read the story about it: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs49-98/

I've lived here since 1980 and the worst hurricane in that time did minimal damage by wind as the paths of most hurricanes here go over the top of the Outer Banks of NC which dissipates much of the storms energy by the time it gets here. Norfolk gets more flooding from northeasters than from any hurricanes in the past 30 years. You ought to be safe 30 feet up. Just to be on the safe side, put your cabin up on pilings a few feet above the ground, like has been done to a lot of homes in Poquoson, near Hampton, and is being done on the coast of New Jersey following Sandy. See the current season of This Old House to see what is being done in three communities in Jersey.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 19:04

adakseabee
Hey thanks for checking in. Very interesting article that you linked me to. It is my opinion that the story cannot be verified as factual. But hey, a good read none the less. Also 35 million years ago, according to the "scientists", humans were a slime, and a slime doesn't write, so how can the story be told? Unless of course it was made up. I find these stories intriguing, but consider them to be an adult version of a fairy tale.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 19:09

adakseabee
Ps I think your elevation advice is a good idea. Storms do happen. I should build the cabin on an old pontoon boat!! I could tie it to a tree and if a storm surge hits, I could float it out. And if the neighbors get annoying I could move!!

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 17:28

Here's an update on the purchase. My attorney called today and informed me that his office will be closed on Friday. So, the closing is TOMMOROW at 1 o'clock. Me and My dear wife are leaving in the morning. She is so excited to finally get to see the place. Im excited to take ownership so I can do my thing!!

Salty Craig

beachman
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 10:55

Your property looks great. I have had the opportunity to be out on the water in the bay - Tangier Island is a great place to visit, and Mallard's at the Wharf in Onancock on the other side of the bay on the VA peninsula is a great place to eat - all accessible by water. Look forward to your progress on the cabin and good luck!

Just
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 11:07

Quoting: Salty Craig
property that was bargain priced

WOW a water property at a good price you two are blessed . How much water at the dock ?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 17:12

WE GOT IT TODAY!! I'm so pumped. My wife loves the property. (if momma happy, everybody happy happy happy). It gets shallow at the dock during extreme low tides, but most of the time I will get in and out with ease. Just I do love Tangier Island. We boat out there almost every year. It's a wonderful place. I have been on the eastern shore but never by boat. To all my forum friends; have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

Salty Craig

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 18:10

Congrats on your purchase... fine looking property!!!!

gersus
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 19:15

Awesome! Glad it all went well!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 19 May 2014 22:51

Hey guys! Here's a picture of my progress...... Wait, I don't have any pictures because I havn't done ANYTHING!! Man I really need to take a break from work and build something. My kayak got stolen off the dock.
I'm going to the bay this weekend. Y'all have a happy Memorial Day and remember what it's about. God bless those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country. Remember our hero's.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Apr 2015 14:28

Still haven't built on my waterfront property but I did buy a sailboat. Sailed her over 100 miles down the Bay to where my properties are at. Now I have a floating and portable small cabin. Probably won't be building second cabin for a while. I want to play with my boat!!

Salty
Arriving
Arriving
Marina near Annapolis where I bought her
Marina near Annapolis where I bought her
Lazy crew
Lazy crew

AK Seabee
# Posted: 29 Apr 2015 22:25

Salty, you are living the good life for sure!
👌

victorvector
# Posted: 29 Apr 2015 23:06

Very Cool Salty , very cool indeed !

Salty Craig
# Posted: 1 May 2015 19:13

Thanks guys!! I live the good life in my leisure time, but trust me, I pay for it dearly the other 2500 hours a year. I only dream of living the good life 365. I guess if I screwed around all the time, it would loose it's sweetness.

Working your butt off is what makes the good times so perfect. I do have serious ambitions of slowing down at 50. That's a ways out!!

Salty

Just
# Posted: 1 May 2015 20:17

NICE RIDE SALTY , sold mine last year, got too old ,enjoy while your young and strong .

Salty Craig
# Posted: 1 May 2015 22:22

Just
What brand, model, and size did you have? Sailing is sooo much fun! I bet you was sad to let her go.

Salty

Just
# Posted: 2 May 2015 09:15

24 ft Georgain canadian made boat with a swing keel as we sailed in lake St Clair [ shallow lake ] . She moored in the shed for ten years before I let her go.. Whats yours ??? looks like a C AND C but im out of touch..

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 May 2015 18:25

Just

It's a Metalmast. They made masts and what not for other boat manufactures and built their own line of boats for a spell. It's a thirty footer and very fast. Designed by Peter Canning. (There's races named after him). This boat is my age (35) and real solid. Lot of fun!! Oh, and sleeping onboard is a blast. It's a cabin with 360 waterfront view.

Salty

Just
# Posted: 2 May 2015 22:28

my grand kids have gone to sailing school for the last two years and they think we need a boat at the cottage maybe a pram we will see ??

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.