Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 May 2017 09:39

Picking up my new hauler trailer today for the new tractor. Hey, when you buy one of these, there is a ripple affect.
If they have an 18 footer with a bump stop and no DOC or set up fees, I am an owner.

Axle straps, chains and 4 ratchet binders be here Tuesday.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 May 2017 15:49

Whoever dies with the most toys wins. (Just kidding- I'm jealous)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 May 2017 00:49 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Got it, 18 footer, I have 2 feet to spare. Had front bump stop, stake pockets down each side, all boxed tube, Dexter Axles, built in under deck ramps. I made them give me the silver mod wheels with radial tires vs the white with bias. Now it matches my 7X16 enclosed trailer. Tractor is about 16 feet long. I do need to get the rear jacks to keep the back from squatting when loading the tractor. I did load it, looked good. My chain and binders showed up today, my nylon axle straps would be here any day now. My daughter has some smaller trees in her yard she wants removed and some shrubs pulled up, so I will take it over to her house for a trial run to make sure its going to be ready for cabin run/haul.
Picture of the exact trailer, but not mine.

Also, couldn't find an exact match for the Kubota orange paint, even Valspars Kubota orange was a different shade (lighter). Mine was a little darker. So went directly to the Kubota dealer today, bought a can of orange and a can of gray for the ROPS and engine stuff, original Kubota paint, it all matches perfectly, now those hooks I welded on looks like it came that way from the factory.
Top Notch Trailer (TNT) 7X18
Top Notch Trailer (TNT) 7X18

Shadyacres
# Posted: 21 May 2017 12:06

Is that 10000 lb trailer? I bought one a few years back almost identical but mine has the last few ft sloped at the back a little. I gave almost 3400 for mine I think.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 May 2017 16:10

Quoting: Shadyacres
mine has the last few ft sloped at the back a little

The beavertail or some call it a dovetail. I opted against that because it reduces ground clearance and can scrape. Extra cost too. Its good for hauling cars, especially those that set low. Mine is a drop axle, its the 7000 lb axle, ie 5 lug on a 4.5" circle. Same size tire on my cargo trailer, so I can use the same spare. The Kubota weight is 2625 and a backhoe is 800lbs, so minus the weight of the trailer, I should be well under. I suspect my payload is about 5500. I will have to see what the scale weight of the trailer is when the title shows up. Minus that from 7000 to see what my payload is.

Yours was probably a 6 lug wheel then S/A? 3400 for a 10K beaver-tail is a decent price.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 May 2017 16:12

Quoting: bldginsp
Whoever dies with the most toys wins....

No, next of kin wins.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 May 2017 21:14 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

New trailer is all set for tractor transport. In addition to buying the new trailer, loads of other expenses went into tie down gear to haul it safely down the road. The 25 foot chain chunks (4) and binders (4) and I bought 16 1/2" weld on D rings, good for 12,000 lbs each. I have one every 2 feet, none behind the fender and then again, every 2 feet after the fender for a total of 7 down each side, plus the 4 already installed and the stake pockets work as tie downs also, drop hook down inside, then hook on edge. Has to remove the deck board on the outer edge, was held in with a welded chunk of angle iron. Was designed to float, they are screws into a cross member, but only the center one, otherwise, just under the metal. Had to cut the welds to release it. Once the hooks were welded in place, put it back in place and welded it back in.

The wiring on the A frame for the break away set up and hoaky splice. I couldn't stand it, had to redo all of it. Added an interface junction box, them moved the break away battery back a click, added convoluted tubing and got it all secured in place.

Now it sets on the trailer, lashed down, hooked up to my truck. I head to my daughters place in the AM to remove shrubs and open up her front yard. I will take pictures.
kubota_intow.jpg
kubota_intow.jpg
kubota_rearbinde.jpg
kubota_rearbinde.jpg
kubota_frtbinder.jpg
kubota_frtbinder.jpg
dring_weldon_12000lb.jpg
dring_weldon_12000lb.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 27 May 2017 21:39 - Edited by: paulz

Looking good. Got a similar trailer. I have a locking metal Knaack box welded to the frame in front that stores my chains, binders, straps etc.. I use a couple of trucks to tow with so the stuff is always with the trailer.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 May 2017 21:51

Here is the cleaned up A frame wiring. Paul, I have already planned to weld on an A frame box for all that stuff too.
wiring_imprioved.jpg
wiring_imprioved.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 28 May 2017 10:43

I should have said my box used to be welded on. I cut it off so I could load some 22ft. I beams and still have tongue weight. Looks like you have other ways to haul long materials. If not, bolting it on (so it can only be removed with the box open) is something to consider.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 May 2017 10:59

Its an 18 foot deck, I will just hang long beams off the back, just 4 feet, a red flag, good to go in the case of a 22 footer.

The trailer mfg only used 3 wired for lighting, ie left and right turn and running, no ground. Using frame for ground. I like to run 4 wires to each lamp (white ground wire), plus ground the frame. So I have all new ribbon wire to install. ;D They used a piece of PVC pipe anchored underside to the cross rails, so its as easy as just pulling out old wire, pushing in new. Crossing over at the front and back will be a little trickier. But still a snap.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 May 2017 12:08

Put the tractor to work yesterday for its maiden voyage. Was my youngest daughters house. They bought it a few years back, was just too cluttery in front and wooded, she wanted it opened up and a full lawn. So I told her I would pull those little trees like weeds. Only added 1.2 hours on the hour meter.

This is really going to be a great asset to my cabin property for my campground like setting I am working on. Going to make improvements now at an accelerated rate.

Daughters place, pre Kubota and post Kubota.
Daughter, Pre Kubota
Daughter, Pre Kubota
Daughter Post Kubota
Daughter Post Kubota

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 30 May 2017 13:28

Nice!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 30 May 2017 18:55

Slick setup Toyota

paulz
# Posted: 1 Jun 2017 11:31

So did you stand in the bucket to limb that tree? Loaders make a great portable scaffold.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jun 2017 11:56 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Paul, I did not, I have a Fiskars pole saw, cuts on the backstroke (pull) and turned my daughter and son in law lose with it. It extends to a pretty good height. I think it goes out to 16 feet or so. But yes, one person operating the loader, another in the bucket with a chain saw works great. I'd like to see one more branch cut off that tree.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 1 Jun 2017 16:52

Beautiful tractor, Toyota! Great project/thread in general.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2017 17:44 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, small group of ham radio operators headed up with me in a few weekends, and a huge family camp over in August, so figured I had better get a campground rules sign. Its on its way.
Park Ranger is me.
Camp Ground Rules
Camp Ground Rules

paulz
# Posted: 11 Jun 2017 19:12

Wow, most of those were violated just last night at my place. Good rules though for a family get together.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2017 21:28

Paulz, in my campground, I can over ride or allow exemptions. The park ranger is the ultimate authority.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Jun 2017 23:11

Testing out my new park style BBQ on the stand.

Also, some signage installed too.
steaks.jpg
steaks.jpg
steaksrh.jpg.JPG
steaksrh.jpg.JPG
signage.jpg
signage.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jul 2017 19:14 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, no plans to head to my cabin till August, and then, will put the roof on the cargo container. I pre built all the rafters today, will get the bird block vents done within the next week. Picked up my T1-11X8, 3 sheets today, this is for the gable ends, I dont want that goofy OSB stuff. Was $38 per sheet, pricey stuff.

Will sheet roof in 1/2" plywood (no OSB, banned on the property per me), using 2X6 rafters at 24" OC, the span is pretty short, maybe a little over 5 feet, using a 5/12 pitch roof. Non load bearing ridge. Having a big family shindig, so loads of free labor, we should have it banged out in a few days. I will remain behind the following week to do trim and try to paint it.

Will have plenty of pictures, before and after.
Also, cabin repainted, went a little darker color. Behr Extra Premium Ultra, Chocolate Therapy, N150-7 is the color. Satin finish. It looks thick, almost plastic coated. The sun there is hard on everything. Cold winters, hot summers. It takes it toll.

Kirby
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 23:09

Oh my gosh Toyota! I just read your entire thread from the beginning. Good on you! What an amazing place and documentation of the journey! Can't wait to see pictures from later this summer.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 00:23 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Kirby
Oh my gosh Toyota! I just read your entire thread from the beginning. Good on you! What an amazing place and documentation of the journey! Can't wait to see pictures from later this summer.

Stay tuned Kirby. I had 20 yards of gravel dumped last trip and plan on going back up for a week, probably in late September, solo run, just myself, but wil bring the tractor this time. And clean up and level, plus create a few more campsites and clean up a few quad trails too. Next photos should be roofed container which happens early August. Going to be warm.... It will look nice.

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 08:55

Hey I know I'm late getting this comment in but that's the most sensible roof design I've ever seen for a cargo container! I know you are just using it for storage, but with an overhang and insulation it would make a great roof system for a container house.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 14:36

Super Super COOL stuff you have going on there Toyota. I like it!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 08:56

Quoting: Jabberwocky
...that's the most sensible roof design I've ever seen for a cargo container! I know you are just using it for storage, but with an overhang and insulation...

I want it to remain cool inside. This should help. The overhang allows me to open the doors even when deep snow is present and the overhand ceiling will be closed in and I will install a access door for more storage or access to the ceiling.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Aug 2017 21:55 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, it may not look like I am going all the time, but even when at rest, my mind is still working and working OT too.

Keeping the National/State Park and Forest Service theme, I needed a park ranger. I have the ranger station, signage designating this.

So I designed my own park ranger uniform. I did not replicate the actual park rangers colors, I used my own colors, but keeping with the browns.

Shirt is a light tan, tie is brown along with belt and tie, pants (not shown) and smokey cap (drill instructor)

American flag on left shoulder, right hand shoulder will have a patch with smokey on it saying "ONLY YOU"

The SP on the collar is "special police" and the badge on the front left is my green embroidered patch. I do even have a full service duty black cordura belt with pouches for hand cuff (and I have real cuffs in them) a pistol holster. I wont use it, but use my Blackhawk Serpa for my Sig Sauer P229. It has a knife pouch, baton, both extendable and T type, magazine pouches, also a pouch for revolver speed loaders. Of course, not all acc will be on the belt, only the ones I find useful (its customizable).

I need to get a pair of those dark aviator sunglasses, it would look perfect. :D

Anyway, this is just cabin decor, it will hang on the wall and not really be used.
Ranger Uniform
Ranger Uniform
Closeup
Closeup

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 6 Aug 2017 06:39

Get yourself a mannequin to sit in the Ranger Station.

How's that container coming along?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Aug 2017 10:18 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
Get yourself a mannequin to sit in the Ranger Station.

How's that container coming along?

I would if I had more space.

As for the container, I head up Friday at 0500, be there the weekend and entire next week.
Roof should be all done, trimmed out minus metal roofing, then painted to match cabin, then roofing added. I will have the felt underlayment in place. And a host of other projects. I will post pictures and add them to this thread when done. P
Stay tuned. It should look real nice, especially after the final roofing and paint job. I will post pictures of the project when I return.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.