Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Future project
. 1 . 2 . >>
metoo
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 08:27 - Edited by: metoo

My wife and I inherited an old log cabin on an island. The cabin belonged to her father and he liked the rusticness of it ...my wife and I do not. We have decided to build new and remove the old camp. I have limitations..#1 I am on an island, but that is more a good thing than bad. #2 It is a government lease, originally 5 acres shared by 3 camps which had to be separated and divided into 3 1 acre lots. The problem being where I sit I could only get .5 acres....its ok, because I have the best lot on the island. The log camp is literally 5 ft from the water in the spring...damp ground conditions make it hard to maintain and it is in a state of disrepair. I want to build new...and move back away from the water, and use some of the logs from the old camp as the dividing wall between the living space and bedrooms, and possibly build a 12x12 sleeping camp.
Keep in mind the old camp needs thousands in repairs...and hours of back breaking work to get it up off the ground, and would still be sitting on wet ground.
CAMP.jpg
CAMP.jpg
download.jpg
download.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 09:59

I like the family history of the old camp....

and the way it looks...VINTAGE is IN

save it!!!!

Truecabin
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 12:16

i would tear off those additions and get back to the original log cabin then have a look at lifting it off the wet ground

i can see by your modern house you dont appreciate the log cabin i understand but i like to give history a chance because when its gone its gone forever

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 13:00

I can see why you want to avoid fixing the old one, historic as it may be. Jacking it up is the easy part, but there is nothing worse than trying to put in a decent foundation with an existing building in the way while you are doing it. Back breaking doesn't begin to describe it. Log buildings are only permanent if carefully maintained, sounds like this one wasn't. Wet ground is the wrong place for logs- I bet your sill logs are totally rotted and stink of mildew. Yuck.

Rip it and put in a well-built structure that won't be rotted and useless for your kids when you are gone.

Truecabin
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 13:34

how long is the lease and what happens at the end?

hattie
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 16:04

Our cabin (now house) was built in 1912 and was a total mess when we bought it. We had to move it to a different spot on our property (to make room for septic), had to scrape decades of graffiti off the walls, install new windows and doors, put in electric, plumbing, heat and septic. Even the front wall wasn't attached anymore because a car had hit it, so we ended up reattaching it when the building was put on a new foundation. Was it worth it? OH YEAH!!

I know it isn't for everyone, but there is just something pretty neat about living in an old building with history. The interior of our house is lined with the original tongue and groove cedar. It has many dents and marks in it, but I look at every one of those dents as a little piece of history. If you can save the old building, I'd say go for it. It has a lot of family history in its old walls.

tverga
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 16:39

Build whatever you like but keep the old cabin for a bunkhouse for when you have guests over. This will allow you to build a smaller new cabin that gives you privacy even when guests are there.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 16:54 - Edited by: MtnDon

I'll take metoo at his word, that he and his wife have no desire to pour money into an old building, especially one that is only 5 feet from the lake shore at certain times of the year. None of us can see the true condition of the cabin, but coming back to that 5 feet to the water business there is little doubt in my mind that the sill logs are most likely beyond salvage. And not every old building is worth saving, worth spending a fortune on, unless it is truly unique. Not all family heirlooms are worth saving either if you have a critical look.

So, how and where is the debris to be disposed, is one of the first things tghat comes to my mind? Can it be burned? Does it have to be hauled off site and to where? I am certain the government that issued the lease will have things to say about that. Ask them about that.

G/L

beachman
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:08

I agree with tverga. Keep the old place, build a new one and fix up the old as you get the chance while not having to live in it. That is what we did. The mice will be greatfull.

Truecabin
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:24

theres enough new stuff in this world and not enough of the old when its gone its gone

i guess grandpa didnt makehimself memorable be careful your turn will come too

better check for setbacks from the water for new construction

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:49

If there is lead paint or any abspestos you are looking at a enviromental issue. Desposing of old buildings legally can be very expensive.

creeky
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 20:20

you could find out who locally does cabin lifts. my dad lifted his cabin for a few hundred bucks. the guys he found do it all the time. have all the tools. took two days. 10 years later it's still perfect.

and that cabin looks pretty good on the outside from the one pic. not be the best windows maybe. but what a gorgeous field in front. wow. somebody knew what they were doing. funny how wild flower gardens never are. smile.

with 1/2 an acre... do you have room for two buildings? and an island with 1/2 an acre. do you have a drier spot? don't be put off by a bit of spring runoff.

most important tho. truecabin makes a very good point. don't lose your grandfathered rights. if that's gov't property ... sometimes it is what it is.

metoo
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 22:10

Truecabin: As far as the lease is concerned, it is 10yrs at a time. Just renewed so it is good. I have yet to hear of anyone having there lease pulled away from them unless they deserve it.
Our family history of this camp is only the last 20 yrs...but it has been a good 20 yrs. I love the old camp and the memories....memories don't cost a lot to upkeep, an old camp does. My youngest daughter turns 21 this month, her first trip to this island was at 3mos old....we have discussed the repair/replacement as a family...my wife, 2 daughters, and I. The consensus is replacement, but keeping parts of the old as part of the new.

turkeyhunter: i wish i could make it liveable for my family
truecabin: you are wrong, I do appreciate the old, the history, but an old log cabin is still an old log cabin no matter how much blood, sweat and tears you put into it....then in 20 years my kids have to make the decision we have before us now.
bldginsp:exactly
tverga: as I said in my original post, we plan on using some of the old camp to build an overflow.
MtnDon: metal roofing, windows etc will be hauled down lake, the old logs can be hauled out back and allowed to rot, or used as great bonfire fuel
truecabin: grandpa left lots of memories, the island, the lake are so special to our family..my girls...but they are smart and know that a future of enjoyment of our paradise means moving on. We will incorporate things that remind us of him into the new build....and my wife and i will give our kids and grand kids memories to hold on to and a camp to do with what the desire when we are gone.
creeky: believe me i have looked at every option....the flowers are weeds devils paintbrush....lots of room for what I need, the new camp will be 90ft from water and +5ft in elev. everything in my plan has govt approval.

metoo
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 07:11

sunset over the island
my view down lake (land on right side of water is the State of Maine, the hill and land to the left is the Province of New Brunswick)

To add a little more detail to my reason for deciding to build new...you have to consider that I am situated on an island, accessible only by boat and the closest boat landing is 2 miles across the lake. The one I use is 6 miles down lake. So if I am going to lug and carry materials for a build, I don't want to have any regrets.

I thank everyone for their comments, and when I get started I will keep you all posted, and will probably pick your brains for ideas and suggestions.
sunset.jpg
sunset.jpg
lindsay.JPG
lindsay.JPG

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 12:44

One thing not mentioned in clinging to keep the old is the issue of Back Set Lines. With the new parcel where will you be able to put a building? The old building grandfathers you into that space, but if you tear it down you go by the new laws. So if you need to be 100 feet back from the shoreline or above the 100 year flood mark you need to have it surveyed and approved before you build.

BTW - the place area looks amazing and I am glad you are doing what you can to keep building memories.

metoo
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 12:54

Thanks for the comments TCC. If I build to the very rear of my parcel, I am almost the 30 m or 90 ft required, but can get a variance from the dept of environment.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 09:45

My area had some tough times with a local environment office. One fellow enclosed his porch and was fined 5k. Another fellow put in a new dock and was dinged 35k. Well. He did dig out an embayment in the shoreline ... but. Another fellow is behind the 100 year flood line and is fighting now to be able to build a house.

So I'm leary of gov't. Glad to hear you've done your due diligence and got your approvals.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 10:02

From my experience - it doesn't matter what someone says is okay. These people are never on the same page and one person will say something and the next will disagree.

We were told it would be no problem to get a variance - just get the neighbors to sign off on it and we'll approve it at the next town meeting. So we got the neighbors signatures and showed up. It was voted down unanimously. We had to build in a new spot and have the survey company out again.

All I am saying is don't tear down or move anything until you are in the clear on the new building. Also have the survey company mark the 4 corners of the property, backset lines and the 100 year flood line while they are out the first time.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 11:54 - Edited by: bldginsp

I agree with CabinCalls. Don't rip it until you are absolutely sure you can build to your new plans, or even after you've built it and gotten your final on the permit. Can't tell you how many times I've seen approvals, 'variances' and other subjective judgement calls by local officials mysteriously change overnight for 'reasons'. An existing, approved building can't be messed with.

hattie
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 12:16

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
All I am saying is don't tear down or move anything until you are in the clear on the new building. Also have the survey company mark the 4 corners of the property, backset lines and the 100 year flood line while they are out the first time.

This is the best advice you can get. Go with what TheCabinCalls says!!!

Your view is AMAZING!!! Good luck with your project. Keep us posted how you make out. If you tear the old place down, it might be nice to keep a window frame or old door to use as a decorative piece in the new building.

The design you have chosen for your new build looks beautiful!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 12:30

Have you considered moving the log cabin? This allows you to build a foundation without the building in the way, it moves the building back away from the lake, gives you the opportunity to replace the rotted sill logs, avoids having to build a new structure, and keeps grandpas place. Just a thought.

Don_P
# Posted: 5 Mar 2014 13:40

Having been on the restoration end of several log cabins that should have been burned and replaced, there is a place for sentiment but I've been involved in misplaced sentiment too. buildings do have a service life and when it's time it's time. Don't build monuments to yourself or your ancestors. I've thought several times while working to restore one of those family albatrosses that grandpa must be rolling in his grave to think of what is being invested to preserve something he slapped together on a shoestring for shelter in the moment. Reclaim what you can, build well and move on.

metoo
# Posted: 17 Jun 2014 16:03

So...an update.
Construction has not started yet. I have full approval of the DNR and the Dept of Environment and am just waiting for the materials list from my contractor so I can start lugging. I got my varience, and can build as close as 15m to the water. Will keep you all posted.

metoo
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 04:58

New update....
Construction has finally started....many delays last year with our contractor, then a long winter thinking about it, we are finally making progress.
Going with a 24w x 20d 2 bedroom, 1 bath design. The photo of what I am building has morphed a little....you will see as I post photos. Oh....as a compromise to removing the old original log camp, I agreed to build a 3rd bedroom, a 10w x 12d master bedroom on the side
I am sitting at hme this morning, watching the rain fall thinking about the 5 mile boat ride I have ahead of me..I think I will have another coffee.
I'll be back...with photos.

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 07:31

Good Luck & Have FUN while building your retreat, looking forward to seeing pictures of the progress... Get ready to post floor plans etc, people "will" ask no doubt.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 11:30

Quoting: bldginsp
I agree with CabinCalls. Don't rip it until you are absolutely sure you can build to your new plans, or even after you've built it and gotten your final on the permit. Can't tell you how many times I've seen approvals, 'variances' and other subjective judgement calls by local officials mysteriously change overnight for 'reasons'. An existing, approved building can't be messed with.

In addition to that, they would like to see that old cabin so close to the shoreline removed, use it as a bargaining chip, ie as soon as this new cabin plan and location are approved, built and finalized, I will then remove the old cabin by the shoreline. Otherwise, we keep the old cabin in place indefinitely.

beachman
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 19:06

metoo, We built a remote place only accessible by boat (in NB and probably about 50 miles or less from you) and there was a ton of lugging. We had to set the place on cinder blocks as we could not get any equipment to the site. That was 4 yrs ago and we are still working on it a little. We have no regrets.

metoo
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 22:49

ok...back wall framed, roof beams installed, roof sheathed and false rafters installed. front deck boarded in and rear wall sheathed....pretty good day

now a question....i'm using an android tablet, how do i attach pics to this post

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 22:54

i love love the old camp and the log cabin.oh my goodness.how blessed are u guys to have this wonderful place.

metoo
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 21:15

so...been a while.
all windows are in, house wrapped, awaiting steel roof and siding. heading back up tomorrow to start partitioning bedrooms. I still havent figured out how to post pics using this tablet

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.