Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / What could we make with this?
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 19:27 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I came upon this down cedar while snowmobiling last Sun. As you can see with me standing, yes standing in front of it, it'd big, and when you think about it, that's only half of it. Since the trunk is laying on the ground on the other side.
cedar
cedar

Just
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 20:12 - Edited by: Just

they make a great base for a hunting stand. I have been sitting on the same upturned root for the past 20 years. if they are cedar they last a long time. I have spotted many moose and deer and bear from atop of that root . here is a pic from the top of my root .
cid_246.jpg
cid_246.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 21:59

Cut parts of it as needed for railings like in a loft etc.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 22:04

on public or private land?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Mar 2014 07:29

It's on public land. Getting permission to cut dead wood is not normally a problem. Although it might be a landmark or an attraction to the fisherman that visit that lake. It's at a remote road less area, but not a designated wilderness.
I like the idea to use sections for railings. Where the roots cross each other , they are like bonded together. I'm sure I won't be able to get back up there , as spring has sprung here, and the snow is getting too wet to sled on.

gsreimers
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 10:48

I know a loft that is going to need a railing. Should be ready this summer depending on how my builder progresses.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 10:43 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I'm sure your builder will have a need for a loft railing by July, and he won't want to spend a couple of weeks trying to whittle a root structure into a railing, as cool as that might be.

Owen
a section
a section
another
another
add this
add this
and put all together for a railing
and put all together for a railing

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.