Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / my 16x24 in progress in nebraska
laudy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 12:32 - Edited by: laudy

thought you may be interested in my new 16x24. All of the red cedar is a product of the Niobrara river here in Nebraska. The inside is not quite complete. The ceiling is cathedral with red cedar tongue and groove. The walls will be red cedar tongue and groove. Wood heat. Lighting and air conditioner run off a generator. Insulated throughout including the floor
my cabin
my cabin
inside in progress ceiling will be red cedar tongue and groove walls will be 1/4 log red cedar
inside in progress ceiling will be red cedar tongue and groove walls will be 1/4 log red cedar

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 13:27

Wow! Great looking cabin. Post some more pics when you can. Cheers!

laudy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 13:32

loonwhisperer: Thanks for your reply... Im kinda proud of this thing. I should have the red cedar tongue and groove 1/4 log siding done on the walls this weekend. Got the tongue and groove done on the ceiling already. You can bet I will post those as well.
Laudy

razmichael
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 14:33

It looks great! Looking forward to see what you do inside. Are you planning any solar and/batteries to give you some silent time without the generator (even if just for lights)?

laudy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 14:54

razmichael. That's a great question. I actually was considering that very idea. However to my good luck my brother in law has farmland no to far away and Is going to be putting in an irrigation system. When he does that I will only have to run power about 70yds from his system to my cabin and I will then have power!!!! Lucked out right?

razmichael
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 15:36

Nice!

laudy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 09:16

mainiac: I'm not sure it is the same as western red cedar but it sure looks the same from what I can tell. I have to ask the guy at the saw mill and see what the exact description of the wood is.

laudy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 09:21

mainiac: go visit www.sawlemill.com it is actually EASTERN red cedar. Not sure what the difference is in the appearance of the two. I guess I have never seen the two side by side.

Don_P
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 22:20

Eastern redcedar, like most things we call cedar is not really a cedar. It is actually a juniper, Juniperus virginiana. It is somewhat invasive, here in apple country they are removed because they are a host of cedar/apple rust. The teleospore of those is an outer space looking thing. It is one of my favorite woods though. The red heartwood is very decay resistant. This is the cedar of wardrobes, closet linings, fenceposts, etc. It is usually a smaller tree.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/TechSheets/SoftwoodNA/htmlDocs/junipevirgin.html

Western redcedar is Thuja plicata, a very large tree, a duller red to brown color wood, much coarser and straighter grain. This is the cedar of shakes, shingles and siding... and planked salmon. It is also very decay resistant.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/TechSheets/SoftwoodNA/htmlDocs/thujaplicata.html

I've paddled the Niobrara, pretty area. Some friends are out in that neighborhood now, heading for Agate ranch, toadstool, etc.

laudy
# Posted: 2 Sep 2014 09:36

Don P: Thanks for educating me on the diff. between eastern and western red cedar. I cant vouch for western red cedar but my homegrown eastern red cedar sure made a beautiful cabin for me. You are absolutely right about the aroma of it, the inside smells great. I will post photos of the inside as soon as I have the inside finished. Got one more wall to go with the cedar then on to the floor. (Floor will be laminate.)
Laudy

Austin351
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 11:50

Laudy- Is the cabin by the Niobrara or did you just get the lumber out of Springview?

laudy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 12:45

I just got the lumber from springview.

Austin351
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 13:47

So, where is the cabin?

I grew up in Nebraska, near the Niobrara.

laudy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 15:25

eastern nebraska

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.