Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My 10x10
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Vince P
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 18:13

What a nice little place you built! Any plans to add a small deck? It really makes a difference especially when it rains.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 19:54

Thanks! I'd like to build a small deck this summer if money permits. If I get one geared up it won't be covered this year, unless crudely, but it will still provide a nice level place to sit outside and relax.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 19 Feb 2015 11:36 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Well at this point my shack is only accessible by snow shoe. Too much snow for the quad. No more need for a door step either, just walk right up to the door. With all the snow clearing I've been doing I've been exhausted and I haven't packed up and spent the night for a while, but hope to do so soon. This photo is from after I cleaned the roof off with the roof rake .

I also received a late Christmas gift recently. A photo book with almost all my progress pictures from 2014. I kinda knew I was getting it but it turned out nicer than expected. I plan to leave it at the camp so visitors can see how it all started.

SteveN
# Posted: 19 Feb 2015 14:37

Fantastic little cabin! Thanks for sharing your story and photos. I can't wait to start building mine.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Feb 2015 15:15

What a sweet build!

1300_stainless
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 20:19 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Thanks guys.

Pictured below is what the camp looks like during "spring" in Nova Scoita LOL.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 11:00 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Here are some some updated photos of the inside of the camp. Starting at the kitchenette and rotating to the left back around. It's still snowing on and off but the temperature has risen. It's warm enough that I can dress well and tinker inside without heat turned on. This weekend I mounted a small shelf by the top bunk,installed an old tin retractable clothes line and laid some matting in different areas to protect the floor. I'm getting excited for when I can see the ground again and start some small outside projects!

Kitchenette with storage space and propane tank behind curtain

This is the corner where everyone slumps their gear

Bunk/dinette

Heating stove

Entrance

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 11:06

Looks awesome! You did a great job maximizing your space. The extra 36sq ft you have over us makes a big difference. We are quickly arriving at the conclusion that we need to expand or tear down and start over.

Enjoy!

1300_stainless
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 11:11 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Thanks Loon. For such a tiny space, I find it quite livable. If it wasn't for the Missus I'd likely become a hermit and stay in the 10x10 lol.

My buddy has an 8x8. He too was impressed with how much difference the extra space made. I wouldn't knock the 8x8 though , it's a fun spot. Layout just becomes even more important and his isn't the best. You'r spot is too nice to tear down. If it were me I would build on an expansion or consider some kind of out building for storage of non essential items.

Jeremy
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 12:23

What size is your board and battons? can you send me the link of the stain that you used? I am going for the same look. are you boards rough cut or planed?

1300_stainless
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 13:00 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Hey Jeremy.

Boards are 1"x8" planed. Actual dimensions were about .75" x 7.5". Battons are planed 1x3, so around .75"x 2.5" dimensional. The actual dimensions are from memory so I could be 1/4" or so off on them and it did vary up to 1/8" between boards. They were all a part of the shed kit from the local mill.

I actually used Pentox Conservat-R in brown. It's more of a tinted wood preserver than a stain. It's water thin. Soaks into the wood. If you don't finish over it you can reapply when ever you want. One gallon will do my whole camp so my plan is to buy and apply a can each year.

If you look at the picture of my skids they are green. They are done in Pentox as well. The ugly green stuff is the strongest AFAIK.

http://www.pentox.com/Conservatr%28TM%29_Brown_Product,_a_primer_sealer,_wood_protect or.html

Jeremy
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 14:50

perfect thanks! Love the look. Nice job btw!

1300_stainless
# Posted: 17 May 2015 10:09

Due to time and budget constraints I won't be able to do as much around the camp as originally planned this summer. I have a few low budget projects in mind.

One of my best buddies purchased his grandfather's farm house and land. It just so happens that the land borders the property my camp is on. He is starting to clean up the property and part of that process included removing an outhouse. The sheeting was rotten as well as a few spots at the very bottom where framing contacted the ground. Otherwise it was quite solid. So I am salvaging it. With a few patches and some new sheeting I should have a very solid and sizable poop shack for a significant savings over building new.

It even included a neat little hand made window that I'm going to try to refurbish and reuse.

Here it is stripped of the sheeting and ready for the journey to my place. I'll finish the framing repairs at home before hauling it to it's final destination. The rest will be finished there.

Another little project recently completed is my sitting area by the brook. It cost me a morning of my time, and $12 for a cheap hammock (not shown). A great place for morning coffee. Pictures don't do it justice, especially without the sound of the babbling brook.

rockies
# Posted: 17 May 2015 17:47

Are you thinking about adding a porch to your cabin someday? I was going to suggest extending the roof over the front door, but I see you have the outlet for the stove there. If that could be moved, a nice 6 foot deep covered porch (maybe screened in) would work great, especially if you have a lot of bugs in the summer.

treefarmin family
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 14:21

It is helpful to see what others are doing with their cabins. Vandals tipped over our outhouse, and it now sits on its roof. What would be the best way for 3 of us (and perhaps a tractor or JD gator) to upright it over a new pit? It is VERY heavy. thanks for any advice.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 08:20

Happy Canada Day Everyone!

Rockies, a deck or porch will come in the future. I haven't got the time or cash this year unfortunately. I have a few ideas, but haven't settled on one yet. I agree the stove vent is in a poor spot for an enclosed porch, but I located it there so I could increase the length of the stove pipe inside and scavenge the most heat.

We were going to spend the night at the camp last evening but we were both to tired to lug ourselves there lol. I have been spending more time there on the weekends though. Some family medical troubles have been stressing everyone out lately and escaping the the woods has been a much needed calming experience.

Now that the warmer weather has come I can leave more things in the 10x10. It makes visiting much more convenient. I have done some "plumbing" consisting of a tub under the sink to collect drainage and adding a mount that holds a water jug with spigot on a shelf. Things are getting set up nicely.

I've also been picking away at my outhouse project. I have it setting behind my house for the framing repairs. This way I can easily pick away at it when I get time. Anyone following from the beginning already knows I'm not much of a carpenter. I'm taking my time and trying to learn along the way. It would have been quicker for me to build from scratch, but not nearly as affordable or as educational. Since this outhouse is older than me, and looks to have been repaired before, I'm not being too fussy. The framing won't be pretty, but it will be solid.

I'm kind of enjoying the challenge of finishing this project as low budget as possible, while still making it solid of course. Thanks to a large shipping crate from work I was even able to salvage some lumber. So far the only cash I've spent has been on 3 lbs of nails. I chose the good ol hammer and nails route over screws this time, for cost savings. One thing is for certain, my thumb and index finger prefer it when I use the drill and screws lol.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 08:33

Man, I love that cabin....and this thread.

Happy hammerin'

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:14

OUCH on the Last Photo... Yup BTDT so many times, silly fingers getting in the way of the hammer... Screws & Nail Guns win, just don't miss with a Nailer, now THAT really puts a damper on the mood...

Lookin good and Thanks for the Happy Canada Day... Shame it's rainin as we would be out swingin hammers.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:17

Thanks Gary O! The thread is a little long winded at times, but my hope is it may be inspiring to someone like myself who started off really intimidated by a project like this. It was worth it all, even the bruised throbbing finger hahaha.

Here's a photo I forgot to add to my last post. Me at the camp, looking about 30 years older than I am. Yes, that is a pipe full of "baccy" I've got hanging in my word hole lol. I have earned myself the nickname Grampy, but I'm OK with that.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:48

Quoting: 1300_stainless
started off really intimidated

Well you clearly got over it.
What I really like about your cabin is the efficient simplicity of going basic, but yet the warmth of board and bat, and the cool little door.

I'm a sucker for unique touches, Grampy.

Nice pipe

upndown
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 10:20

A man in his Element, standing in front of his Accomplishments. Love it!

rmak
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 17:19

Got a chance to read the whole build thread. Wonderful! Commendable!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 22:36

what a pretty great piece of land and what a great cabin filed with all kinds of really homey ideas! love it.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 08:42

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Progress was made this weekend on what I have now nicknamed "frakenpooper" lol. Seems like a suitable name. This thing is stitched together from all sorts of things. Original pieces put other places, new lumber, old pickets, etc. That being said the framing repairs are almost done and it's getting pretty solid!

Using a small jack I was actually able to flip this beast by myself. Plan now is to crown the bottom. After that it gets flipped back to rights on top of skids, that I will be permanently attaching. Skids simplify everything. I'll be able to drag it onto and off of the trailer. I'll also be able to prep the ground with patio stones or the like and the outhouse can sit right on the skids for a foundation.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 21:58 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Busy, busy, busy, but not at the camp unfortunately. I've only really had time to "pick" at things here and there. The outhouse got some skids.

As fall starts up things are starting to slow down though. I'm looking forward to spending some fall days and evenings in my "shack". (Here's a nice panorama, just for fun.)

As such I'm putting the outhouse on hold and shifting my focus to keeping things toasty. I will likely tarp the outhouse for the winter and pick up next spring. For my remaining tinker time (and budget) before the snow flies I have an auto switching propane regulator on the way. So the heat stays on if one tank should empty through the night. I'm also going to start insulating the roof.

A simple electrical system is in the works as well. I completed a quick, fun, project for that today. The " Zero $, what's laying around?" generator shed. I'll just need to pick up some electrical receptacles, wire, and odds and ends.

neb
# Posted: 3 Oct 2015 22:23

You are having fun and that is what it is all about. My shack is low budget but well built and serves it purpose. I also continue to improve the place and add this and that. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 05:28

THIS...is a great, and now sometimes hilarious thread..."frakenpooper"...laughing, hard

Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks for posting, 1300

SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 Oct 2015 12:06

I like your design ideas- You really know how to maximize minimum space. Especially like the bunk-dinette, which I might incorporate in my existing cabin, or my long-dreamed-of expansion.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 18:15 - Edited by: 1300_stainless

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Hope my fellow Canucks had a great Thanksgiving weekend. I sure did! Made some time to tinker at the camp.

I managed to get the generator "shed" in it's semi permanent location before the weekend. The rest of the week was preparation and materials gathering.

I took a vacation day Friday with some pretty specific plans for the day. Ceiling Insulation Day! It was a long time coming (approximately a year lol) and a bigger PITA than expected, but I am very happy to have it done. I used 2" R10 rigid foam. It was the suggestion of a local contractor/family friend and seemed to best suit my needs and budget. This part of the project was a considerably expensive one, in comparison.

Saturday morning started with clean up from Friday's insulation mess. Followed by the installation of my auto changing propane regulator. Two tanks are attached and one is set to be the "service"cylinder. When the service cylinder empties it automatically switches to the "reserve" tank before the output flow is affected. The window turns red and then you know to flip the selector and fill your now "reserve" tank. Pretty slick. Checked my new connections for leaks, and re-checked the existing ones for good measure.

The afternoon was spent on a simple electrical system. I now have 2 household receptacles and 1 light fixture. The system can be plugged into a generator, or into a deep cycle battery/converter combo. I installed a cut off switch between the battery and inverter. Not only does it allow for safe shut down of the system, it's also reachable from bed to kill the lights. A 23 watt LED light bulb provides over all lighting. It's nice to have some real powerful lighting when arriving at night. Some LED pucks over the sink and kitchenette make great targeted lighting and simply plug into my receptacles.

The output of my generator "shed"

Generator input for the camp

Batt/Inverter and cut off

Spent the remaining days and evenings at, or not far from, the camp. Enjoying all my labors!

Rowjr
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 13:45

I can dig it ! Pretty cool ! Please check out my cabin sometime...

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.