Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / my 12 x 12 pics
. 1 . 2 . >>
bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 18:55

I finally got some land in sept 2013. The plan was a log cabin, but being all alone on this build, and completely off grid, I soon had to change plans quickly.
I made lots of mistakes and there's lots I do differently. But considering I have no building experience, I'm pretty happy. It's not finished yet, and I plan on touching up a couple things.
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 18:59

Spent a week there last month, till it hit -30. Not insulated yet, made for some cold gettings up.
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 19:08

My only two helpers, and they don't have any thumbs.
Maken coffee with the new stove.
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG

NhLiving
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 22:05

Great looking cabin. Looks very sturdy and cozy! It's good to get away and have some alone time, but 4 legged friends are always welcome!

Just
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 22:37

- 30 C here tonight [ Ont. ] hope you get a stove in for your next trip.".nice cabin "

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 22:38

Man, BC.....THAT..... is the epitome of a cabin.
I too considered building with 4x4 walls, and may still do that.
Enjoy the fun.
More pix when you can.

Cheers

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 22:56

Thanks guys, I put an old stove in that I found on the property, and just hooked up on a temporary basis.
Just: the cabin's in Ont.
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG

Just
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 23:20

bc i think we have the same stove , except i put in a glass
100_2669.JPG
100_2669.JPG

claypat11
# Posted: 7 Jan 2015 14:21

bc - do you have any other photos to post of the building process? I'm looking to build something similar to that.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 7 Jan 2015 14:37 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Great job! Lots of wonderful times ahead for you Whereabouts in ON? We are in the Haliburton area.

bc thunder
# Posted: 7 Jan 2015 18:24

Just yes very similar, but yours is in much better shape.
Loon I'm in the Thunder Bay area.
ClayPat I was by myself, so to busy with the hammer to pick up the camera. But once the floor is down, It's as simple as leggo blocks.
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG

dpoisson
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 16:56

bc thunder, that is amazing! I wish I would of seen your posts earlier.

I have a few questions:
- What does your floor look like (3/4 plywood over 2x6 framing @ 16")?
- How high are the walls?
- Are those 4x4 or 6x6? They look like they are treated as well, right? Does the smell of treated wood go away eventually? Would you use treated wood again?
- Did you use any fasteners between rows of lumber? Long wood screws, rebar, etc? At what interval (corners only, at the both ends of a piece of lumber, every X ft) did you use the fasteners?
- How much snow do you get in your neck of the woods (qc, canada here, we get a lot)?
- Are you planning on insulating it somehow?
- Did you use asphalt shingles on the roof?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to spend to get the cabin (not including outhouse, etc; Floor, foundation, walls, roof) up?

Cabin looks amazing!

Fish

Nirky
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 17:33

Since your cabin heat is kept in by thermal mass and not insulation, you'd want to insulate *outside* the walls, not sure how you'd do that.

If you were thinking of insulating inside, that would relegate your log walls into siding, and you'd need as much insulation thickness inside as any stick built home for your climate.

bc thunder
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 19:11 - Edited by: bc thunder

Wow........ I just typed the longest response in history and was denied when I tried to post....... Sorry Fish, I'll try again after the hockey game...

bc thunder
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 19:24 - Edited by: bc thunder

6x6s
6' walls 8' center
I dont notice any smell, and pt wood is much safer now.
I only used pt bc it was readily available, non pt would be a lot cheaper.
I used 12" galvanized spikes at all ends and 4 or 5 spikes on the top of every beam.
Same snow as you I think (northern Ont)
Only insulating floor and ceiling, being 12x12 I think the wood stove will do the rest. (I hope)
I wanted metal roof but got a deal on discontinued asphalt.
I've got about four grand in it so far total, with some more to go.
This is my (for now cabin) as I'm not there to keep an eye on it. I hope to do a much better job next time now I have learned a bit more.

neb
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 21:10

Looks like a pro built it. Nice job and please keep us up on the progress.

bc thunder
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 21:27

Thanks Neb, I appreciate that, and will do.

dpoisson
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 11:12 - Edited by: dpoisson

bc thunder: Ah, that's a shame for your long response. I was bitten by that too many times on various forums. Before submitting a long post, I always click once in the text area, do CTRL-A (select all the text I just typed), then CTRL-C (copy all the selected text). That way, if something goes sour, I can just do CTRL-V and get the text I typed back.

Only question that was left unanswered was about floor. I can't quite wrap my head around that part was done.

Is there a reason why you didn't continue the gable ends with 6x6's? I guess it would of taken a bit longer. The ridge beam is supported at both ends and that's it, right?

Really wish you had more pics!! Great job

Fish

dpoisson
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 11:35

Gary O: If you do go ahead with a 4x4 lumber build, be sure to post your progress in a seperate thread. I would love to see the results of that!

Fish

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 12:56

this is beautiful .its a wonderful cabin.love this ...

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 13:47 - Edited by: bc thunder

Thanks cabby3, I'm very happy to have it, finally.
Fish, The floor should have been done as you spoke of earlier, (2x6s off 16 center), but I had some 4x4s already, and decided to use them instead. Then I added some extra bracing underneath to keep them from warping. Samething with the overhangs and higher walls for a loft; I wanted both, but cost, time, and being alone kept me from doing it precisely as I would have liked. This summer I'll add a covered deck to the front. As for the ridge beam, ya two eight foot beams, spiked inside to both walls. Probably overkill for this little cabin, but as I'm doing a lot of things "my way" as opposed to the "right way", I want to over build for piece of mind. I will go back in places and add more support, better support, with things like L brackets and better fitting braces for the tops of my rafters. It might be unorthodox in places, but will be very sturdy and safe.
Have you already started a build, or are you in the planning stages?

Pookie129
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 19:31

Quoting: dpoisson
Really wish you had more pics!! Great job

Ditto - looks great, good for you.

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 20:22

Quoting: dpoisson
Gary O: If you do go ahead with a 4x4 lumber build, be sure to post your progress in a seperate thread. I would love to see the results of that!Fish

Yeah, I been giving it strong consideration.
Now, seeing BCT's pics, well it's inspiring...what this site is all about. I feed off this place.
The utility shed w/be a great trial run.
More later in the 'Our Tiny Cabin' thread...feasting here right now....can't seem to pull away....

Can't wait to see what BC is doin' next.

bc thunder
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 21:25

So many kind words.....

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 22:46

they're earned

I'm sure you've got scars

if you don't....you will

dpoisson
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 15:51

bc, I was thinking about your cabin and I had a couple of questions if you don't mind!

The cabin has been up for 2 years now or so(?). With time, did you get any warping of the 6x6's?
If so, did you have to caulk or fill in the gaps in anyways (with what)? In picture IMG_0292.JPG above, you can sort of see a crack above/left of the door.

You mentioned somewhere that you were at your cabin in -30C weather: How was it? Did it take a long time to warm the cabin up? Did you have any issue with condensation inside the cabin?

Cheers!

David

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 16:38 - Edited by: littlesalmon4

Looks awesome BCThunder

There is some info and pictures on stacked 6x6 building here

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_127_0.html

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 17:27

Hey Fish, The cabins been up closer to a year now, no sings of warping. I will run some calking between to fill any gaps, but it fits together pretty tight. Only really one bad spot, and that was my last 6x6. The pickens got real slim at the end from the HD selection. -30 was real cold cause I didn't have the facia and soffit on it yet. I could've passed ya a cup of coffee outside thru the wall. The stove did the trick till about -20. It will be finished this summer.
LITTLES4 very nice........

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 14:05

Thanks BC. Some pics are fairly old. Original structure was 20x20. We added a 10x20 addition on one side last year and plan another this summer. Almost counting the days to move on a perm basis.

bc thunder
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 16:36

Littles4, Perm basis would be a dream. Where are you roughly? I love that hot tub, how long does it take to get nice and warm ?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.