Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Ontario 12X8 Bunkie - Haliburton area
mthydro
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 13:45 - Edited by: mthydro

Hi All

New member here, but I've been trolling for a while and researching on this site.

We have a family cottage near Haliburton, ON with a large, private piece of waterfront property. The cottage is shared with 2 siblings and is filling up quickly...

To have some privacy and free up some space I built a great 12x8 BUNKIE. This is based loosely on the Cottage Life Bunkie plan. The modifications included a 5' sliding patio door onto the deck and a separate entrance door.

I'm a pretty handy guy, but this was my first time tackling a wood related project.

Here's a few photos

The Beginning

Patio View

Front View (trim to door added not in photo)

Inside

Back Door

Loft Ladder

Back View (step to be added yet)

Loft Window View

Lake Sunsets

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 13:50

Welcome neighbour (Minden Hills here ) That's a nice little bunkie and the view is killer!

We have a teeny 8x8 that was on the property when we purchased it last year and would love to expand it to 12x9.

I look forward to more updates. Cheers!

adevil
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 13:52

Also from Minden Hills here. We have to build a bunky too. Love your shack.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 14:03

Quoting: adevil
Also from Minden Hills here. We have to build a bunky too. Love your shack.

Cool! There is quite a few members in the area. We should do the Amish thing and take turns building on each property lol

adevil
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 14:26

We are planning to dig piers sppn as the frost is out of the grouynd. Itchin to get started.

mthydro
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 15:00

It's a great neck of the woods for sure without having to deal with the 400 area traffic

Still a bit of a work in process. I plan on doing the following this summer:

- Finish ceiling
- Railing on deck
- Stairs up right side of deck
- Steps going in
- Solar powered Shed light install
- Solar lights on walkway
and the biggest of all...a small outdoor shower building

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 17:28

Nice job and welcome

Skiguy
# Posted: 22 Apr 2015 22:22

I love the pine paneling.

Jason Markin
# Posted: 23 Apr 2015 00:32

Hey Mthydro, the bunkie is super-cool. I just loved the idea and the view of river nearby is mesmerizing. Do post some more images after complete construction. All the very best

pegp
# Posted: 23 May 2020 17:11

hi there. love your little cabin. It looks very similar to a bunkie we built in our backyard recently (8 x 12 with a 15/12 sloped roof and a sleeping loft). I noticed that your ladder has a chain. Is this a "stand" that you have built for when the ladder is not in use? Also, I'd love more details on how your ladder fits.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.