- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Mar 2015 21:37

hattie-thats what i am talking about!

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Mar 2015 22:28 - Edited by: Gary O

Heh, one of those mornings I thought I'd woke up late.
Opened my peepers to what I thought was 6:10 am.

Reached over, and with both arms, shook cabi awake;
'GET UP! GET UP! I'M LATE!'
I dashed into the shower with my toothbrush.
A minute or so later, cabi comes in and sez; 'do...you....know...what...t-i-i-i-i-ime it is?'
'Yeah, just fix me toast'

'You want toast?.....at 2:30 in the morning!?

Heh, sometimes the big hand and the little hand like to play tricks.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Mar 2015 22:31

Retired.

My life will be mine again.

Been awhile.

I don't dare make anymore doctor's appointments or scheduled physicals (they may find some incurable disease somewhere in this decrepit body).

No more rising at the buttcrack of dawn (unless we're going fishing)
No more alarm clocks....or clocks.

The weeks will change some; Sunday Sunday Sunday....

Hard to believe, really.

Seems a dream.

Nobody better wake me up.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Mar 2015 22:46

you will enjoy your retirement GaryO

it's hard to believe this summer it will be 6 years ...since I retired.

every day is awesome!!!!!

I have not set a clock since I retired.

NOT ONCE!!!.....if I want to get up early...when I let the dogs out at 2am or so...I drink a large glass of water...oh yea...that will get ya up before daylight to go hunting or fishing.

sometimes I wake up at 5am..some time it's 8:30am...both are good times to have a cup of coffee

enjoy!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 06:46

When I grow up

I want to be......

TURKEYHUNTERRRRR!!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 07:02

Quoting: Gary O
When I grow upI want to be......TURKEYHUNTERRRRR!!!!

LOL...too funny!!! "Git to work" ya got less than 2 more weeks at the salt mines!!

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 22:12

Quoting: turkeyhunter
"Git to work"

Wait just a durn minit heeeeere... I just realized something; the directive 'get to work' is some sorta subliminal hint to lodge in one's subconscious netherworld....suggesting that one 'gets' to work.

Dang, I've been duped for 50 years and didn't even know it!

Wait, what's this?

Oh....

....just bellybutton lint.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 22:23

Wait, what's this? Oh........just bellybutton lint.

sounds like a good firestarter when ya git out to ya woods...lol

how many more days have ya got to "git to work"???

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 22:53

seven if ya don't count tomorrow and the last day

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 00:48

I just realized......this is my last weekend......ever

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 05:39

I just realized......this is my last weekend......ever

excellent !!! every day is a Saturday and Sunday!!

just remember....as I tell my wife & friends~~retired people NEVER have a day OFF LOL

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 11:51

retired people NEVER have a day OFF

No truer words.....cabi has me building a log cabin as I type, palisaded no less. (I can just see us trying to wrestle logs, when puny 4x4s eat our lunch now).
I am, however, learning how to multitask...scratching myself whilst sipping coffee...and gazing.
I was out on the back deck, early this morning, practicing this when I heard the strangest bird, and close too.
I trained my good ear on where the noise was coming from.

Heh

My chest

Wheezing

Well, today I'm going to again sort thru my tools, trying to differentiate between the seldom used and the critical, because once I pack them, I'm pretty sure I'll never see them again.

We've managed to fill about three fifths of our acquired container with our earthly possessions, tossing stuff we've clung to for decades.
Turns out we're just a couple of grizzled squirrels, clinging to crap that has zero worth.

We considered having a garage sale, then quickly came to the conclusion of experience that all that'd do is saddle us to a hapless sale of which we'd be moving our worthless treasures twice... prudently artfully displaying it all on plywood sheets and sawhorses and hanging around the carport all day with a carefully guarded metal tin of ones and coins while watching folks drive s-l-o-w-l-y by....almost stop, then zoom off.

So we just cut out the middle man and hauled most of it to Goodwill.....hoping they'd take it.
How in heck does one accumulate five VCRs?
Ever try to dispose of a projection TV the size of yer master bedroom?
They don't readily get thru doorways.

So, after several moments of pondering, scratching myself and sipping coffee out on the deck, I stepped back into the living room with the conclusion that we'll need to get that sledge hammer back outta the container.
Only to find that my cabingal has managed to get that behemoth shoved halfway thru the front door.
I immediately pitched in by scratching myself and cautioning her to be careful.

Once we got it onto the front porch, we discovered that large heavy things, with a little coaxing, can do cartwheels down steps.

I'm going to omit the events that occurred between the front yard and the truck, and the smashing of cabi's big toe, since my dear lifemate has yet to find tolerance in regard to me giggling while asking if she's alright (she has never mastered the art of cursing in context....and....it's.....HILARIOUS).

More later, as our moving to the cabin adventure commences.

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 12:32

@GaryO Ohhh you sound just like me... Last year I made 3 loads to a charity for a bunch of kids clothes, toys etc and other things that had value for other... Old Appliances like my 1963 Kenmore stove, 1974 fridge, washer dryer & misc furniture all ended up in the scrap pile ... actually filled two big dumpsters. By the time I whittled down "the pile", everything left, fit very comfortably into a 14' U-Haul Truck !

I worked under 3 rules:
1) Haven't used / needed it in past 6 months... it had to go (some exceptions apply)
2) If it doesn't fit or has no potential future use - GONE.
3) Is it pack-ratted junk do to emotional / mental need or inability to let it go - GONE (*)

* such as family photo's my parents brought over from Europe of people I don't know and have no clue about... you know, the crap we hang onto because it was handed down to us but we really don't know why we are hanging onto it...

Result: Quite a feeling of "lightened burden". Much easier loading & unloading (no junk to shift). Semi Life-reset and very refreshing actually !

One Negative ! After the major dumping and evac. I came to realize that a few (albeit minor) things could have been useful in the new build... and other projects on the property. But once I got into "disposal mode" I got ruthless and was "on a mission" (read as blinders on).

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 22:21

Quoting: Steve_S
* such as family photo's my parents brought over from Europe of people I don't know and have no clue about... you know, the crap we hang onto because it was handed down to us but we really don't know why we are hanging onto it...

Man, I do like that.

Heh, my brother has been saddled with most the albums, but we've got this box.....boxes.

I always considered tossing it all, but was overcome with guilt and the thought that only despicable ogres did stuff like that.
There's the thought of getting someone to transfer them all to zip drives, but heck, by the time that was done, zip drives w/be obsolete....wait....it's been ten minutes since I started typing this...zip drives may already be passé.

S'pose I could put them all in 'the cloud'.
That cloud kinda gives me the creeps....but then summa my folks were downright creepy.

A Match!

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 23:02

One thing I didn't mention, well sorta left out but... I'll just say that my new cordless Dewalt Sawsall got a serious break in for the disposal process ;) Much of it was much to big and/or heavy for me to manage on my own (see 60's appliances) and a rather large sofa etc... kinda therapeutic, if ya know what I mean... The Big Reset ! hehehe

hattie
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 00:03

We were in an antique store years ago and what did we find? Two pictures....One was husband, Bob's great-grandfather and the other his great-uncle. Bob happens to look just like his great-grandfather. These were HUGE portrait photos. Anyway we grabbed the one of Bob's great-grandfather and bought it. The lady was putting the bill together and kept looking at Bob and the photo. Then she said, "you sure look like this guy." Bob explained they were related. A relative of Bob's went into the store a month later and bought the picture of the great-uncle. It was pretty weird to find a relative's photo in an antique store.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 05:40

speaking of family pictures.
this is one my brother sent me cause he happened to be around when our parents passed away.
he has boxes and boxes.
seems we are from a long line of southern country people who have cabins.
love some of the photos hes sent me.
i have another i carry around.its one of my uncle humbug at my childhood cabin down in Louisiana.the whole reason i love cabins in the first place.i carry it with me...always.
country living
country living

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 06:15

cabi~~those are GREAT southern pic's...LUV them. At camp with there hunting dogs!!! Priceless pic's

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 06:54

thanks turkeyhunter.i think this is a couple of pictures of our great grandpa Hines.
from a long line of hunters.i have to carry on the torch and hunt!lol.,much to Gary O's chagrin.he is gonna be wearing squirrel slippers!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 07:02 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: cabingal3
much to Gary O's chagrin.he is gonna be wearing squirrel slippers!

if Gary0's...feet are like mine ( size 14:confused it will take a mess of squirrels to make slippers ...lol
rabbit fur would be softer fur and a bigger hide...lol
if they raccoon's don't stop eating up my catfish food at my pond...I going to have a few coon hides!!! LOL

you got to hunt and provide FOOD for the table. A lot of our meat comes from my hunting!!! deer/moose/turkey/small game/game birds/fish and wild hogs!!!Good and GOOD for ya!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 07:24 - Edited by: cabingal3

haa haa haa.thats funny.i was joking but thanks for the warning about squirrel slippers.lol.
i am surely gonna hunt.i am excited to get out there full time and get us meat for our table.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 09:03

I'll just say that my new cordless Dewalt Sawsall got a serious break in for the disposal process

Heh, I tore down a crushed camper with just my sawsall and a crow bar.
I got a cheapy from HFT, figgering I'd throw it away after I burnt it up.

Dang thing won't die.
rottencampermeetscro.jpg
rottencampermeetscro.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 09:33

if Gary0's...feet are like mine ( size 14:confused it will take a mess of squirrels to make slippers ...lol

Well, I only wear a size 12, but both my big toes have been smashed to smithereens, and what's left of the nails grow funny, so I gotta have room.
Heh, I been scarin' grankiddies with those things for decades, even scared m'self a couple times.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 20:13

LOL....too funny!!!

how many more day's....as a slave to the clock???

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 22:00

3 days and a wake up

....unreal

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 22:08

I have the sense that someone is getting good'n set to dance one mighty fine jig, I'd say ! Get the party boots on and let's go ! hehehehe

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Mar 2015 22:40

Maaaaaan, you know it.
I've been taken to lunch ever day these last three days, and it ain't stoppin'

ackshly, I can't wait to get to the cabin and work some of this blubber off.

But, this German place has the best beer...the best.
And spatzl and schnitzel...of which gets a bit messy when pronouncing after about the 4th stein or so.

I could go another week if they kept springin' fer lunch

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:18 - Edited by: cabingal3

so we are thinking of making out first main cabin into two rooms instead of three.
we are gonna enlarge my kitchen .
we are gonna build a wall where the loft begins .and then have a little opening for the door.
gonna take out the french doors to open up the kitchen.then take the middle door out of the main cabin on the other end and make the front entry be a part of an enlarged main front cabin.
that way i will have room for my kitchen to hold my china cabinet and also some stockpiles of foods.

cant wait!
funny what one little newly added wall can do!

theres so much to do and we wil be up there all the time-improving and making new stuff.really exciting things.

gar has another retirement lunch to go to and then a retirement party.he is getting a big sent off.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Apr 2015 09:16

So, for all appearances sake, we sold the house...again.
This is only the third or fourth time in the last month.
Seems we attract kindly looking, well meaning folks with little blots on their record, like, ohhhh, sayyyy ax murdering.
Our HOA rules seem to frown on the silliest stuff.

Anyhoot, we agreed to scoot on outta our place in two weeks.
(yes, we are nuts)
Now we gotta twist our activity up a notch.
Nothing has been done at the cabin....nothing.
Haven't even been there since last fall when we closed it up for winter.
We've got two weeks to cram the rest of our crap into the container, whip down to the cabin, lay out a spot to put the container, unbutton the cabin for spring (it's scheduled to snow there for the next few days), and whip back up, get the container mover to load it up and point it in the direction of our cabin.

Thing is, since retirement (a couple days ago) we kinda got our days and nights mixed up. Of which, when in yer sixties, seems to turn one into a shuffling irritable slack jawed zombie, sorting, packing, picking up things and putting them back down, shuffling off into another room, farting and scratching.

Meals have become sporadic.
I tend to forage in the fridge, and now I'm on a mission to wipe out whatever is in there.
Attempted to use up the homemade blackberry jam in a bowl t'wards the back of the fridge, hiding behind the antediluvian cantaloupe.
It had a skin on it.
Couldn't penetrate the membrane with a butcher knife...saving it for later. A candidate for fruit leather for sure.

Things is, I really don't have any idea what's 'good' or 'bad' in there.
Ackshly, the entire kitchen is a mystery world to me.
Not that long ago I finished off what I'd considered to be an ancient salad sittin' there on the counter in a stainless steel bowl.
Turns out compost ain't too bad if you put enough thousand island on it.
BMs tend to become a bit peculiar.

But, yeah, D day is here.
Gotta go from shuffle mode to scurry.
I no longer scurry well.
Lucky if I can maintain a steady plod.
Still got a good mosey.
But, gotta get my giddyup on.

I don't dare leave packing my stuff up to cabi.
She has a tendency to heave armloads of anything into boxes.

Last move, five days before moving day;
'Dear, any idea where my toothbrush may be?'
'It's probably in one of those boxes marked misc.'
'Ah, yes, here it is, with the nest of extension cords, my set of ratcheting box end wrenches, and the toilet plunger.'

I'll do my best to type in updates as they occur...that is if cabi doesn't pack this keyboard today............

hattie
# Posted: 5 Apr 2015 12:17

Not that long ago I finished off what I'd considered to be an ancient salad sittin' there on the counter in a stainless steel bowl.
Turns out compost ain't too bad if you put enough thousand island on it.
BMs tend to become a bit peculiar.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.