Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 9 May 2011 22:04

Cabi and I have settled on making a couple additions to the tiny cabin, and getting a bit more comfy for longer stays, while getting things done around the place (like newly acquired hovel, and crushed camper tear downs, slash burning, well rejuvenation, and new site prep.......etc etc).
For the back end, with French doors, I'd like a screened porch with half walls and panels for the colder months.
I found something along the lines of what I'm thinking and cropped it onto our back end pic.
Ain't the paint program a hoot?
as it is now
as it is now
add ons?
add ons?

Just
# Posted: 9 May 2011 22:21

If it only happend that easy. looks good !!

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 May 2011 08:25

looks good baby.u mention a long stay?? will this happen this summer??i love this...now that i see it better.
what will the front additon look like?? the kitchen?? i am excited to dream of not going outside to the summer kitchen in 20 degree weather to make coffee and breakfast.i am looking forward to a nice kitchen.enclosed!can u do a paint program and make a kitchen?

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 09:14 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: cabingal3
a long stay?? will this happen this summer??

Next trip, three days to get water pumpin' and tested, and back end squared away.
Then a week to build as much as we can.....with as much water as we want....'even let a little spill' (The Yearling)....

Here's what I'm thinking (kinda)

It'd be closed in though, with windows
as it is now
as it is now
consideration......80 more sq ft
consideration......80 more sq ft

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 16:28 - Edited by: Gary O

BUT IT CAN JUST BE ENCLOSED ,RIGHT?? cause it is the added footage to equal 200 sq.ft.
so we dont have to do this one but just an added on room to make a kitchen gar?right?

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 17:14

Quoting: Gary O
BUT IT CAN JUST BE ENCLOSED ,RIGHT?? cause it is the added footage to equal 200 sq.ft.

This has got to be the strangest post sequence yet....
My wife (cabi) is apparently on my computer at home, logged in as Gary O, asking me a question.............
I (at work) am now replying:

Yes

Or........it's those darn voices, now personified...........

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 May 2011 18:04

lol Hey, she wants a closed Kitchen.......
Give the lady a closed kitchen......

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 19:22

Quoting: naturelover66
Give the lady a closed kitchen......

Believe me, the lady is getting her closed kitchen....

Just
# Posted: 10 May 2011 20:03

I'ts just such a shame to loose the dynamics of the 'A' frame ,!! could you not do another 'A' at 90* ??

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 20:44 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Just
a shame to loose the dynamics of the 'A' frame

Just, I thought that too, for the longest time.
Another 'A' at 90° has been a consideration, but not the most efficient.
The front, even though with an octo window, looks kinda stark.
A do over would put the door in line (directly underneath) the window (for looks) I s'pose, but I needed precious wall space on the interior.
I do still love the back end with the French door, but getting sorta tired of it all, and (if I do it right) I'll be able to keep part of the 'A' frame look, and yet add some rustic dimensions to boot.
And, even though no longer an 'A' all by itself, it'll be kinda a surprise when entering the main room.
The French doors will open to an atrium atmosphere of sorts, where one can read, observe the untainted flora and/or chat with the mate over a cup of brew.

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 21:33

Some (not totally) random thoughts.........
Extend the additions on one side, and deck between
considerations_2011..jpg
considerations_2011..jpg

Just
# Posted: 10 May 2011 21:42

Where is north ?

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 22:05

Darn near as it sits

Just
# Posted: 10 May 2011 22:21

I like a east deck in the summmer shady and cool .So the screened in porch dos'nt count in your 200 total?I like your plan maybe if the finishes are all the same it will still be as impresive as it is now!!

Gary O
# Posted: 10 May 2011 22:46 - Edited by: Gary O

I like a east deck in the summmer shady and cool .So the screened in porch dos'nt count in your 200 total?I like your plan maybe if the finishes are all the same it will still be as impresive as it is now!!

Yep, that's my thoughts.
And yeah, same finishes throughout.
My intent is to fit the environment.
No cobbled junk.
But nothing suburban.

Not considering the back 'porch' into the 200'....removable panels for the half walls....just thinkin'

I'd love to experiment with some lodge pole here and there, for vertical supports, but it's all in my head right now.
May just stay with 4x4 timber frames...my patience has always been quite thin, and getting thinner.....I'm no FPW

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 10 May 2011 23:36

Will the porch support the snow weight up there? I went up today, beautiful day by the way, and my neighbor told me about all his experiences residing in the Cascades. He's lived there for 20 years - was full time for about 15. The snow caved in his garage one year. Another, he fell off the roof while trying to scoop the weight off. 72 degrees and all the snow is gone at 4700 feet. It is time to rent a bobcat and clear a path in!! Hopefully next weekend.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 May 2011 09:05 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: BadgersHollow
Will the porch support the snow weight up there?

The snow caved in his garage one year

Snow is always a concern there.
I tend to over build, and this will be no exception.
The mild pitch of the extensions will command some hefty beams, and strong skeletal support, for sure.
I'm pretty confident I'll have a strong enough design, but then confidence (pride) goes before the fall....then winter ensues........
I detest any re-dos or undoings of my own doings, so I'm a bit driven toward over building.

Yeah, I've seen some garage failures, and their designs were lacking, and not for our area, some just kits, some just weak after thoughts using inferior materials, or standard garage packages.

We won't be there to pull the snow off, so I gotta get it right, for sure....we'll see.

Probably the winter of 2012 will be record accumulations...12 foot drifts.......

And yes, I know the falling off the roof trick. It's amazing how much of your life can be recalled on the way down, and still be able to squeeze in the thought of "THIS IS GOING TO REALLY HURT!"

Have fun with that little bobcat. Those are a kick! Bobcat rodeos being the coup de gras.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 May 2011 07:18

Gary,
Some nice ideas...I esp. like the front porch design.
Everytime I drive up north, I pass an A-Frame on the highway.
This year as I drove up, I noticed they had enclosed the lower level and made it into a home...with the Aframe still the focal point.
What a difference...great look!
How's your new stretch of property? It's adjoining I believe?

Gary O
# Posted: 13 May 2011 10:14

Quoting: bushbunkie
Aframe still the focal point.
What a difference.

Right arm, Bush.
My intent exactly.
How's your new stretch of property?

Gonna hook up Mr Pump next trip, then blaze a path from the well to the cabin.
Yes, adjoining.
Gettin' all het up just thinkin' about it.
Got a bit of gardening to do at the house, but June w/be water world for cabi and me...so many fun things to do....so little stamina...
So glad to have cabi at my side.
She keeps my giddyup from doin' the giddydown.

You made mention of thoughts of another build. Any action that direction?

Gary O
# Posted: 22 May 2011 19:10 - Edited by: Gary O

OK, I'm goin' the other way.
Attacking the red shed first.

Summer things to do;
Get garden established at the house
Coordinate long term office tasks around our twice monthly escapes to (well) our escape.
3-4 day weekend at the cabin right after fiscal inventory (end of June)
Get newly found well pumping
Test water
Get test kit
Try real hard to remember to get pump beforehand
Assess what we need to do for the red shed first.
Make a shopping list...a craig's shopping list.

Week long stay:
Yard all the junk away from the red hovel and into discrete piles of recycle, metal, burnable, and re-usable.
Re-assess what we need to do after finding all the good deals of everything that wasn't on my list.
Re-assess my sanity.....
Check that......no need
the hovel awaits, mocking....Supplications requested
the hovel awaits, mocking....Supplications requested

bushbunkie
# Posted: 23 May 2011 09:57

She keeps my giddyup from doin' the giddydown.

You made mention of thoughts of another build. Any action that direction?

Hi GaryO,
Still dreaming about next steps...but that's half the fun, eh"...is the red shed salvageable or is the foundation rotted, etc?
Is that an old trailer attached at the other end?

Gary O
# Posted: 23 May 2011 21:29 - Edited by: Gary O

...is the red shed salvageable or is the foundation rotted, etc?

There's a foundation????
On a cursory inspection, it just looks like logs stuck in the ground.
Yeah, a circa '50s-'60s trailer.
The only somewhat redeeming things are a steel frame to try to work with, and the interior cabinets are solid wood and very much intact.
My plan is to assess and compile craig's list finds during my uncharted adventure.

I know I can make additions to the small cabin we built, and/or build another cabin.
This, however, will be a whole new adventure.
Cabi is thrilled, so I am committed (in a couple ways) and will enjoy this new slant to creating something.
My mind, up to now, has never bent toward salvage, other than restoring with new materials.
Ended up happy with restoring our 100 yr old house, but Home Depot and I were a first name basis back then.
refurb.jpg
refurb.jpg
refurb_2.jpg
refurb_2.jpg
refurb_3.jpg
refurb_3.jpg

Scott_T
# Posted: 23 May 2011 22:51

My mind, up to know, has never bent toward salvage, other than restoring with new materials.

Gary O, with time appearing to be at a real premium for you salvaging the old two-storey would steal a lot of your effort at the expense of your lovely A-frame. It is pretty hard to tell how sound the structure of the old cabin is from the pics or if there is anything worth salvaging? I lucked out recently with an old playground set that I disassembled and was able to get a few good 4x4 timbers and deck planks that i could use to start building the outhouse (pics coming soon). It was a time consuming project though...lots of nail pulling.

Gary O
# Posted: 23 May 2011 23:17

Quoting: Scott_T
salvaging the old two-storey would steal a lot of your effort

Boy, I know man.
Just processing mentally right now.
May not go there.
I appreciate your comment.
It may save my back and arse.
The trailer does call me though.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 24 May 2011 10:54

I was up in our area Sunday into Monday. Sunday was fairly warm with clear skies, oh how the stars were shining! Cold, got down to 22 degrees. My "30 degree" sleeping bag was supplemented with a blanket or two. I've got my travel trailer now parked on my parcel - a neighbor was kind enough to allow me access through his lot. I spent most of Monday hacking out sagebrush with an axe - clearing my easement to the forest service road (haven't found one tick yet either). The aspens and sage brush are just beginning to bud out and snow line is around 5,800 feet (took a quad ride upward towards Mt Scott). The mosquitos are beginning to awaken too.

Gary O
# Posted: 25 May 2011 19:54 - Edited by: Gary O

oh how the stars were shining!

Hey Badge
Thanks for the report.
Yeah, we cannot ever get over those stars.
(haven't found one tick yet either).

Ticks!!! There's Ticks!!??
Ya' know, I've never inquired, but we've never seen any at all, ever.

Some of that brush will yield to a bladed weed eater, and it sure helps along a slash pile fire.

Also, they say there are absolutely no snakes in our area.....however, since you're near some ponds, I'd love to hear you substantiate that...

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 25 May 2011 22:53

The neighbor has been there since 1985 and says that he has never observed a snake. He thinks the pumice based soil bothers them. Kind of wierd because Wizard Island way up in the middle of Crater Lake has garter snakes-according to the pamphlet. But, I'm not complaining - snakes are the one thing that give me the willies. The neighbor also said that he's had just one tick on him in all of his time up there. The mosquitos more than fill the niche left open by those other 2 critters though, so it all evens out.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 May 2011 19:15

The mosquitos more than fill the niche

Yeah, man we have been really plagued with 'em.
Even had a few with 50% snow cover.
Some are saying if you clear the vegetation away, they die down a bit. But I s'pose if you're near a body of water, the playing field changes a tad.
Reading up on herbs that drive 'em off.
Need another critter out there that dines on skeeter larvae.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 May 2011 19:55

The neighbor has been there since 1985 and says that he has never observed a snake

That is just incredibly unbelievable.
When we walked the property 11 yrs ago, pondering purchase, I gingerly waded thru the meadow of tall grass, just knowing I'd come upon one of those slithery devils.

That area just looks the epitome of snake territory.
The neighbor told us about how 'they hate pumie', but he also told me a few obvious tales. However, seems to ring true.
I just can't relax in snake country.
Seems they get the jump on ya' at your most vulnerable times.
I don't mind garters, as they dine on bugs...probably skeeter larvae, aren't venomous, and look almost cute....round eyes, perpetual smile....

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Jun 2011 16:15

That meens it's a sand point well 1 1\4 pipe all the way down ! I don't think you can use a check velve in that small a pipe . I have 3 similer wells they all have the check at the top of the well .They all have a 1 1\4 brass check at ground level then 2 ft. of pipe then the pump ..." No " tubing down the hole !!!

Just
I bought this one
$89
According to the cust service guy, all I need to do is bush my 1 1/4" pipe up to 2", screw on theirs and prime......

Thoughts?
diagrampumplg.jpg
diagrampumplg.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.