- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16 X 32 in Lincoln County WV
<< . 1 . 2 .
abby
# Posted: 29 Apr 2016 09:31

it is beautiful!

Rowjr
# Posted: 29 Apr 2016 12:26

Wild and Wonderful West By God Virginia !

Rowjr
# Posted: 29 Apr 2016 12:33

Would like to see or hear how your closing in the ends of your rafters at your eave ends when you get back. Your probably in heaven right now though so we'll hear from you when you get back

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 3 May 2016 09:58

Hello Abby! Thank you so much for the kind words! I feel better after viewing your post and seeing how you and your husband also had to build in phases since I am now working on four years. Your place is amazing and I can only hope to have a place as nice and comfortable as what you two have put together! I hope to be posting more pictures of things coming together in a few weeks. I plan to be standing on the front porch of my cabin again on Saturday! Can't wait.

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 17 May 2016 14:20

I got back home after a week of working at the cabin and it is great to see it really coming together. Putting in sheetrock, cabinets and the bathtub make it look like home and it means that I've rounded the curve where I can see light at the end of the tunnel!
WP_20160511_001.jpg
WP_20160511_001.jpg
WP_20160513_012.jpg
WP_20160513_012.jpg
WP_20160513_003.jpg
WP_20160513_003.jpg
WP_20160513_011.jpg
WP_20160513_011.jpg

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 17 May 2016 14:46

I will post a few more random pics of the location so that you can see how it is set at the top of the mountain, and to give you a view of the great rock outcropping behind the cabin.
WP_20160513_015.jpg
WP_20160513_015.jpg
Rock face on right side (back) of the cabin
Rock face on right side (back) of the cabin
Downhill on right side (front) of the cabin
Downhill on right side (front) of the cabin

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 17 May 2016 14:51

I hope to spend several days in the near future just working on clearing out a lot of the saplings in front of the cabin that are blocking the view of the hilltops. These are all crowded, immature trees that will never have a chance to branch out so I don't mind taking them out. I want to be sure and leave one tree every 20 feet or so, to ensure that the ground will not slip over time. All of the mature trees will definitely stay.
Left side of the cabin (back)
Left side of the cabin (back)
Left side of the cabin (front)
Left side of the cabin (front)

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 17 May 2016 15:11

Hey Rowjr,

It was good being back in Lincoln County again. I got a little rain while I was there but nothing that kept me off the mountain, but I did have one interesting ride off of the hill after a rain where I had to creep down in low range 4wd to keep from sliding off the road.

I was finishing up a lot of interior work on this trip and I didn't have the chance to close of the eaves yet. I really need to because I had a bird nest on top of one of the light fixtures! What I am planning to do is to use 1/4" hardipanel (cement board) on the underside of the eaves and cut them out for vents every 6 or 8 feet.

Let me know what you are wanting to know specifically and I will be glad to help in any way that I can.

Rowjr
# Posted: 18 May 2016 12:28

Looking good but are you not worried about having a hot roof ?
Another reason I was asking how your closing in your eaves. Are you or did you put up that attic ventilation channel before you insulated your ceiling or in between your rafters. so air can travel from your eaves to your roof ridge vent. that cement board idea sounds good but I was under the idea to stay away from a hot roof you need to let air get in between each rafter so being that said maybe drill hole saws holes at the end of rafters so the air can ventilate equally. maybe I'm over thinking this but I was curious how you were doing yours. As for the rest I cannot wait till I get that far a shower and a toilet inside will probably make me smile a lot too. Look forward to see progress. looks like November before I get back to mine.

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 18 May 2016 17:55

I appreciate you bringing this up as a concern so that you don't let a fellow cabin builder go down a road that could lead to bowed roof lines or rotted decking! Construction is too much of a pain to have to do it over a second time! Yes, I am going with Durovent channels behind the insulation so that the air flow can go continuous from the soffit to the roof vent. This should prevent hot roof issues, but I am honestly just as concerned with moisture evacuation as a hot roof. I am a rookie at cathedral ceiling insulation so I had to do quite a bit of research online to find out what to do, and I had to sort through all of the differing opinions and available options.

The only thing that I need to do related to the soffit is to put a baffle over the insulation where it meets the top plate. This should route the air over the insulation and up the channel to the ridge vent. Once I enclose the whole soffit, the 4x10 vents spaced every six feet should let the soffit inhale and then exhale out the ridge vent through the durovent channels. I attached a picture that I had not previously posted to give you an idea of what the rafter / top plate set up looks like. You may be able to picture how the durovent and insulation would work in there. I have about 12" of overhang on the back of the cabin that I will be enclosing for the soffit, and putting in 4x10 vents.
WP_20140713_014.jpg
WP_20140713_014.jpg

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 18 May 2016 18:10

I think I just realized what you were indicating related to the front wall since the picture shows that the space is enclosed where the rafters end! There is an air space between the board across the front rafters and the porch decking. I may have to increase it in some places but it should generally be enough room to get airflow from under the porch and up through the durovent channel. I will probably just put some small screen or something over that opening to keep bugs out.

Rowjr
# Posted: 19 May 2016 07:32

I hear what your saying and I know what you mean by going thru all the opinions.We both have a similar roof set up almost identical but I have about a 6 inch overhang because I was planning a porch roof under or over both eventually.I'm still stuck how air is going to flow thru each rafter unless the soffit is across the whole span of rafters if you know what I mean. Please take some pictures when you get more involved with this issue

Rowjr
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 16:48

Down to almost less than a month and I will be taking better pics this year. Hope to get my eaves close in and front deck built. Hope to see more of yours soon. I'll be heading up around the 12th of November....

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 19:23

Hey Rowjr, good to hear from you again. I may beat you up there this year....Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I am thinking about heading back up in a couple of weeks while the weather is still decent for working outside. Still have some land clearing to do, and I'm hoping to make progress on the water and sewer. If the weather is not agreeable, then I may just work inside and try to finish up a lot of the work in there.

Rowjr
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 21:24

I can understand that but hopefull it will be nice... Take some pictures...

Rowjr
# Posted: 19 Oct 2016 23:23

Almost there myself November 12th I'll be in route ... Maybe one of these days we"ll run across each other, I'll have to look to see where your located. I usually travel up thru I-77 and turn off at 19 going towards Beckly and unto 79 to exit 79 at Burnsville. I love that ride ! hope all is well and your cabin is staying dry....

Rowjr
# Posted: 14 Dec 2016 21:31

Well what happen ? Any Progress or pics ?

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 12:48

Hey Rowjr,

It's great to see the progress on your eaves. I hadn't considered the type of product that you used but I'm going to look into it.

Were you able to get a tag on some antlers while you were back in WV?

I just got a couple of pictures from my last trip since I spent the whole time working on water and septic, but I'll get them posted.

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 12:54

I rented a mini-excavator while I was in town since I had to dig down to the meter connection by our old farm house to tie in my water line, and I also needed it at the top of the mountain by my cabin in order to dig the septic field lines. It worked like a champ, and I even got my Dad to operate it for a few minutes since it is something that he has always wanted to try!
Dad on the backhoe
Dad on the backhoe
Septic line finally in!
Septic line finally in!

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 13:08

I had an unexpected challenge a day or two before I was to head home. I had been riding my Honda ATV up and down the mountain all week even though it had no brakes. It has an electric shift, but I would put it in first or second to go down the hill and the motor compression would hold it back fine.

On Thursday morning, I decided to go down to the bottom of the mountain to get some supplies, and I decided to stop a little ways down the mountain to cover up an exposed part of the water line. I stopped by rolling into a dirt pile and I fixed the water line. I got back on the ATV to head back downhill, but I first backed up the hill to get back on the road. When I went to shift from reverse to first gear, I had to go into neutral first. When I shifted from reverse, the bike started to roll, and it wouldn't go into first. So.....I was on a run away ATV with no brakes. The first place that I found to hit was a small group of trees on the side of the road about 50 yards away. By that time I was probably going 20 mph. I hit the trees, the bike flipped sideways, I hit the road and the bike came down on top of me with my knee bent the wrong way. Long story short.....I heard my ACL snap when it happened even though I though that I had broken a bone at first!

Mountaineer Mark
# Posted: 10 Jan 2017 13:14

When I hit the little saplings, I was two feet away from a 150 ft. drop over the hill so I am thankful that the Good Lord was looking out for me and I limped away with only an ACL break. I am hard headed and wouldn't go to the doctor there and I drove 1200 miles back to Texas on Saturday morning by myself with crutches and a leg brace! I just had the ACL reconstruction surgery and I am getting around again with no crutches and no brace. I hope to be back to full speed soon and I am starting to plan my next trip to the cabin in a couple of months.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.