Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Wood Stove Pipe Oval to 6" Round - Need Help
randino
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 11:36 - Edited by: randino

I have an old wood stove (not sure of the brand) that i am trying to install in my 16' x 14' log cabin. I have most everything figured out except the stovepipe. There is an oval outlet from the stove and I need it to convert to a 6" round so that it matches the rest of chimney.

I have read that the dimensions of the oval (7 1/2" long ways and 3 1/2" sideways) makes is simply an ovalized 6" round pipe(if that makes sense). I read in another location of this forum that it "isn't that hard to ovalize a single wall 6" round pipe". However, i am lost and not sure how to even go about doing that?

I looked online for adapters and could find nothing to match the oval dimensions that i need. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oval Out from Stove
Oval Out from Stove

FishHog
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 11:47

I had the same in my last cottage. I just squished the 6" round pipe by hand until I got it close by eye, then forced over the oval on the stove. Was really a 5 minute job.

randino
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 13:20

In shaping it by hand did it fit snugly? I am not sure if there would be any issues if it didn't fit snugly as I don't have a lot of experience with wood stoves.

Derby42
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 15:03

I did the same thing on my wood cook stove. It didn't fit real tight so I packed some wet clay in it. Hear is the thing with my wood cook stove, when I go to the cabin in the fall/winter every part of the stove is so cold that it won't hardly draft, a stove is far from air tight. All of the round burners and every seam in the surface will leak smoke , including the stove pipe connection at the back of the stove. Once it gets just a little heat going and starts to draw air all of the stove plates and the pipe fittings stop smoking. Of course my cabin is a touch on the rustic side and I just open the windows and let it air out. I also left a screened opening at the roof peak on each end to let excess smoke out .

FishHog
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 15:54

same here. I find some nice clean paper (ball up a few papertowels) first by themselves to get some draft going, before adding wood to minimize the smoke.

Tight fittings aren't necessary on old stoves as they leak anyway, but you can get woodstove caulk if you feel the need to seal it up some.

Derby42
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 17:06

That's the smart thing to do, I stuffed a bunch of oak leaves in my wood cook stove to get it going and the white smoke was really rolling!!!

beachman
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 17:40

FishHog is right on. I did the same thing with my stove and problem solved. Stove works great. Next do over, I will put a damper in the 6 inch pipe to control the draft.

randino
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 22:05 - Edited by: randino

That's good info, thank you.

The stove was already installed in the cabin when i purchased it last year. There was no heat shield in place on the walls and the stove was directly on the floor. The insurance company wasn't digging that so i removed the stove temporarily. I needed to get the surround up to their specs.

A roof leak was also present for some time. There is a lot of rust on both the stove pipe and the top of the stove. When i removed the previous oval to round adapter it crumbled and left me very little to work with.
"Vintage Stove"
"Vintage Stove"

neb
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 22:10

Yep I have a stove with the same oval shape. Like they said above just squash form stove pipe to fit oval and the next pipe to attach will be round just like the top of the pipe you formed to fit the bottom oval,

randino
# Posted: 24 Oct 2015 10:03

A damper is definitely in the plan. I watched a few youtube videos on how to install one. Doesn't look super difficult and I can pick one up at the Home Depot or Lowes for around $5.

I have read a few lively debates on this forum and others on whether a damper is necessary or not. Seems like a fairly easy job so I figured why not go for it. The old stove had one in the rusted out section of pipe. The spring on that one was pretty mangled so purchasing a new one will be necessary.

randino
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 10:14

A quick update:

I ordered a 12" length slip cover with a 6" round end (neither crimped nor female) and a 6" female end. I am going to use this as my starting pipe. This way i end up with all of the male (crimped ends) pointed towards the stove. I will follow the slip cover with a 24" long regular pipe then the single wall to class A converter so that I can use class A for the chimney.

I was able to get up to the cabin this past weekend and check the slip cover pipe for sizing. The fit is almost perfect. Squeezing the pipe into an oval shape and slipping it on was quite easy.

Thank you everyone for your input. looks like this will end up working out perfectly. Like anything with the cabin though, until i finish the job i will not actually know 100% how it will work out. My fingers are crossed though.

Butcher
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 10:13

I'm guessing your measurements were outside diameter? I have the exact same stove (at least looks the same) I measured 6 7/8 x 3 1/8 inside diameter as I'd like a pipe to fit inside.
I'm very curious on what you mean my a "slip cover"?
I need to do the same to the stove for my cabin and any info or pics you have would be greatly appreciated.
I have to wonder why it is so hard to find a proper fitting adapter for this stove, it does to seem to be quite common as Menards and Sears sold them in the late 60's early 70's

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 10:25

Adapters are hard to find because you just ovalize the non-crimped end of a length of 6" pipe! This is all 'old school' stuff, they didnt have a bunch of adapters in the old days.
I had a cut down length to about 12" without a crimped end (a good hacksaw, bench, and a little time; use 24ga. pipe) so I used that recently but used a std 24" length long ago on a different install. By using an uncrimped end pipe the next one fits properly crimp down/in.
I think you can buy 6 or 12" lengths but they are pricey for what they are.
Fwiw, pricing 24ga. (min. to use imo) Menards has the best prices here.

Butcher
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 15:25

not all ovals are the same size, not all will work with a 6", many Vermont Castings used an oval, but they are also a different size, which is why I asked the poster for a wee but more info, particularly as we have the same stove. I know quite well the difference between a screw driver and a wrench, I've been very hands on and mechanically inclined for close to 50 years, So I understand well about bending a round to an oval... Menard's may be the best prices for you, but most likely not for me, as I don't live in a country that has Menard's, so that comment is irrelevant. here is my refurbished stove if interested. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j_lOIXGIFA

Butcher
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 15:26

and here is a place with adapters in various sizes. https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/66533/16307/Snap-Lock/Stove-Pipe-Black-Oval-to-Roun d-Boot----Various-Sizes.html

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 16:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

Sorry my general ref. to Menards for stovepipe for anyone who may have access and interested in a good buy isnt useful to you.
Fwiw, being 68 and involved in 'mechanics' for over 50 of that Ive learned a few things too. Like start with the most accessible stuff, like a 6" stovepipe in this case, and see if it can be made to work. If not it is on to something more specialized and/or specific. I thought that might save somebody looking for a piece they could fab up themselves.

Fanman
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 18:02

Same here, our stove uses an 8" pipe, simply squished to go over the oval opening on the stove. Fits perfectly, never had any trouble with it.

The transition is over the length of the pipe section. Seems the only reason you'd need a special adapter is if you have to complete the transition in a shorter length, like if you needed a damper in the pipe close above the stove. Our stove has the damper built into it.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 16 Feb 2021 20:49 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: Butcher

and here is a place with adapters in various sizes. https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/66533/16307/Snap-Lock/Stove-Pipe-Black-Oval-to-Roun d-Boot----Various-Sizes.html

This is good thanks for posting. I replaced all the 6” stove pipe on our old stove except for the large-to-small adapter which is getting quite thin.

Measured it years ago with a string or tape measure and it was a larger size. I see in the link above that they sell a number of adapters but looking at the parts numbers it seems that they are still standardized to 6”, 7”or 8” being reduced to 6” or 7”. So I imagine ours is also just a squished 7 or 8” dia. opening and not some oddball size requiring a custom build.

Fanman
# Posted: 17 Feb 2021 21:08

Take a tape measure, measure the circumference of the oval opening, and divide by pi (3.14159) to get the diameter of the matching round pipe.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.