Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / How can I preserve this?
darz5150
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 19:33

I know there are several of you who do woodworking with logs etc.
I found this in the woods today, and thought it looked cool. I don't know what I am going to do with it, but I was wondering if anyone knows how I could keep the bark on it and preserve it somehow.
Picture1204151817951.jpg
Picture1204151817951.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 22:43

Tung Oil.

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 23:12 - Edited by: darz5150

Thanks Dave. I wasn't sure whether to spray it with a poly - satin or what.

neb
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 23:40

Is it completely dried? I would make sure it there is no moisture what so ever in the wood before you apply anything.

I have carved some cedar logs with bark on them except for where I carved and I used poly. A non shinny poly. Some of them are 20 years old and look like I just applied the poly. Now I have carved cottonwood without bark and I just use oil on those carvings.

I'm no expert by any means just my experience. I would check with any expert but I believe you can use an oil first then you can seal with a poly and the poly will hold that bark better on through the years.

darz5150
# Posted: 5 Dec 2015 00:54

Quoting: neb
Is it completely dried?

No, I got it today so it is very " fresh", so I am keeping it in the cabin for now, and will try to let it dry out. I hope it won't split.
I thought it was kinda cool how it had the serpentine vine that had grown around it/ in to it, almost in exact spacing.
I wish it was a smaller diameter. It would make an awesome hiking stick.

Don_P
# Posted: 5 Dec 2015 07:30

Seal the ends with wax or something non porous so the ends won't dry too fast and check. If you know someone with a deep freeze it wouldn't hurt to throw it in there for a bit to kill bark beetles if there are any eggs, else keep an eye on it for frass, little piles of fine sawdust.

This is the time of year when bark is tight, one reason we like to log in winter, the bark is well fused to the tree where in spring the bark "slips" as the cambium is dividing to create a new ring and a new layer of bark, so you're good as can be there.

And there are epoxy clear coats as well.

Lamp base or small table pedestal?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Dec 2015 07:38

I have several of these vine wrapped staves that I made walking sticks/hiking sticks out of over the years...I pealed the bark( removed the while still green). Let dry and then added a few coats of spray on varnish...they look good.

darz5150
# Posted: 5 Dec 2015 21:53

Thanks for the tips and ideas. Got me thinkin' about a lamp now.
Quoting: turkeyhunter
I have several of these

I guess I need to keep looking for one to make a hiking stick out of. Especially since my wife wants one now. LOL. Do you have any pictures of yours turkey hunter?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.