Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New to forum
Minnesota Mike
# Posted: 27 Sep 2016 17:40 - Edited by: Minnesota Mike

Hello folks, Minnesota Mike here, a new member to the forum.
The name tells you where I'm at- up in the woods of the Arrowhead region of Northeastern Minnesota. I spend a lot of time in the woods, as I'm a Realtor in the area specializing in land and recreational properties. I'm also a new small cabin owner, having built at 16 x 20 log cabin last fall. We spend most of the spring and summer weekends doing the finish work this year.
The small log cabin was constructed of 8" northern white cedar "D" logs- locally cut and milled. This was built from the ground up in a total of 13 days by myself and my wife, along with one other guy. Mostly hand tools. No special or big equipment on the job site. Oh yeah, no power on the job site either. (other than the generator)
This cabin is designed to be put together by two or three people working with common tools.
And---no concrete or block on a simply developed foundation.
Great project- love to do another one. Questions? Be happy to talk to all interested. Mike
Bear River Cabin
Bear River Cabin
Winter 2015/2016
Winter 2015/2016
Inside-Fall 2015
Inside-Fall 2015

Just
# Posted: 27 Sep 2016 18:39

nice cabin welcome aboard Mike nice to have a pro here

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 27 Sep 2016 20:03

Welcome to the forum Mike. Cabin looks great!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 27 Sep 2016 20:16

Looks beautiful , Welcome to the site.

Tonir
# Posted: 26 Nov 2016 13:10

Very nice! This was done with only 2 people? Maybe my husband and I will be able to it too!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 07:54

Looks great. What is the start to finish cost of a kit cabin like this?

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 08:34

Boy, I like that cabin.

Yeah, the cost, please.

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Dec 2016 13:05

Welcome to the forum mike. Looking at your wood stove pic gave me an idea. You need to get something behind the wood stove to protect the wall from catching fire. At a minimum, it's going to turn black from the heat over the years. But it looks nice as is.

My thought was one or two 3'x8' pieces of metal roofing leaned against the wall from the rear wood stove legs with some 4" non-heat conducting stand-offs attached to the rear top of the panel. That way you would have some wall protection during the winter and then store it away during the summer.

Nice looking cabin!

Rowjr
# Posted: 8 Dec 2016 18:28

Looking good got to get a good woood stove in mine soon. or something.I was thinking using that cement board they use for tiling floors or bathroom walls and then maybe a stone or brick layer. Please check my cabin out when you get a moment....

jaransont3
# Posted: 8 Dec 2016 19:31

Welcome to the forum Mike. Great looking cabin.

Are you up in Bear River north of Side Lake? I realize there are probably more than one Bear River, but if you are, we are practical neighbors as our place is down in Side Lake.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.