Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Julie's project -- Aspenwood
. 1 . 2 . >>
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 10:03

So, here we go! The shabin shell is built and I'll be out at my land. We're putting the cook stove in today and the battery-op LED lights I found. Wow, are those magic! They have a remote control that looks like a switch and mounts to the wall.

It's been a busy several weeks. Nice to have actual shelter now when I go out there! Insulation (Roxul) and plywood walls are going in next week, after the holiday.

The shabin is 160 sq. ft. with an 80 sq. ft. loft and a 4x10 deck. Here are a few pics. Building was RAINY and I hightailed it home at the end of the days, haha. More pics will follow.

But, it's begun! Welcome to Aspenwood! Looking at the cabin being built in the spring but hoping for a mild winter to get some stuff done.
20161115_132351.jpg
20161115_132351.jpg
20161115_161701.jpg
20161115_161701.jpg
20161028_201229.jpg
20161028_201229.jpg

upndown
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 10:21

Looking good Julie! Will be following as your dreams come true. Enjoy the journey!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 10:29

Thanks, upndown!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 11:50

Awesome!! Must feel great

Wendigolake
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 11:56

your friends on here are happy your dream is starting to come together.....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 12:33

Quoting: Wendigolake
your friends on here are happy your dream is starting to come together.....

Yes, and we get to watch all the progress from start to finish too. Its going to be as fun and exciting for us too. Its been a long journey for Julie just to get to this point. Now we are on to the grand finally.

hattie
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 12:53

Woo Hoo!!! Congratulations Julie!!! I am so happy for you. I will be excited to follow your new adventure. How many sq. feet is this going to be?

abby
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 14:09

I've been thinking of you! how exciting!! love the name Aspenwood. can't wait to hear more!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 16:44

Thanks, everyone! I so appreciate everyone's help and support along the way. And patience, too, lol!

I just love my land and the location. I named it Aspenwood because of the glorious color on the trees in the fall. Aspens aren't plentiful in this part of Oregon, except in my area!

hattie
My main cabin will be about 540 sq. ft. I was going to go modular BUT the orders at the factory are crazy backed up and they were estimating a June delivery. No.

So, I'm talking with the folks I bought my land from. He's a contractor and has built other cabins in the area. Obviously, he knows the land, started development, and knows everyone in the county. Big pluses. I'm meeting people in the little community, too, and there are various contractors there. So I think that's the way to go.

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 16:54

Very nice!! Congrats... Im so happy for you!!!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 17:11

I went totally practical and functional with the shabin since the main cabin will soon follow. So, barn door rather than something pretty for security reasons. Limited windows, and placed high. I know that if anyone truly wants to break in, they will but I don't want to make it easy! I went with small windows, too. Dudes can't fit through them. They'd have to enlist wayward elves, lol.

I have too many good things stored in there that I don't want to lose.

Just
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 20:31

Great start congrats Julie .!!!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 22:04

Thanks, Just!

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 22:13

wonderful gal.good for u.
not a moment too soon gf.we have had snow on our ground for several days now.
snows really coming wed.and thursday and on.
so it starts.the winter season.
i love all u have done.amazing.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 23:07 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

cabingal3
Thank you! No snow here yet but a bit is coming, starting Tuesday evening. Then ice Thurday and Friday. I don't do ice. Hate it. That's mostly what we got in Texas. So I'll be in, eating leftover turkey and pie, in between indoor projects, hahaha!

One big lesson I've learned. Open up the dang boxes of things and make sure you've got what you need. Even if the box says "all inclusive."

We couldn't finish the wood stove installation today because the kit I paid $250 for didn't include 6 metal screws. Really?! It would have killed them to throw a tiny pack of screws in for that amount of money?! I had wood screws in my toolbox but not metal. And I wasn't going to drive a half-hour each way to go back into town just to buy them.

I have a crazy amount of stuff and backups, just in case. But progress was hampered over screws, sigh.

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 03:00

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I went with small windows, too. Dudes can't fit through them. They'd have to enlist wayward elves, lol.

Very nice security design. I'm doing that also. Home made windows just between the studs.

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 03:01

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
wood stove installation today

Pics please!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 05:13

DaveBell
Willdo! The interior is a jumble of tools and stove pipe right now, but that will be sorted.

And thanks! The high windows bring in decent light. Just the sections under the loft were dark but that was easily remedied with the LED lights I installed. I hope these things last -- they're magic! Very bright, and come with a remote control that screws into the wall and looks like a switch! I only needed to put in one switch for the 2 lights because it controls them both, since they're in close proximity.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 15:48 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Yay Julie!
So happy to see all the hard work and dreams become a reality.
Congratulations
Love the name of your camp.

NorthRick
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 18:53

You should think about egress in the event of a fire that blocks the door. If all your windows are up high and too small to get out, it is possible to get trapped. I know it's a small cabin but you should have a second way to escape.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 21:51

NorthRick
Not all of them are high up. And while dudes couldn't get in through them, I could get out since I'm female and fairly thin.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the apartment I'm in. One door, no smoke detectors, and connected to people I don't know doing who knows what. I like being in control of my living space. In apartments, you're not, entirely.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Nov 2016 21:53

silverwaterlady
Thanks! Right now, I'm exhausted trying to get things done before the first winter storm. My body hurts

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Nov 2016 21:09

Julie2Oregon

Sweet looking place!! How many acres? Was having it built onsite your only option or is there delivery available for a factory built? Some of the factory ones are really good quality that we have available in Virginia.

Craig

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 22:40

Congrats Julie. Nice to see your dream becoming reality.

Bevis
# Posted: 27 Nov 2016 22:13

Congrats Julie, on finally implementing your plans and dreams.

deercula
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 02:53

9 days without an update. Hope things are working out for you.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 07:45

Quoting: deercula
9 days without an update. Hope things are working out for you.

She's been quite busy with insulation. I'm quite sure our Julie w/be posting soon.
FYI

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 13:55

Quoting: Gary O
She's been quite busy with insulation. I'm quite sure our Julie w/be posting soon.FYI

Gary, she is almost a neighbor for you? We expect to see pics and updates.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 19:23

Yeah, she's approx. 50 mi south.
I'm sure she'll be recording progress.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Nov 2016 22:37

Ok so now we've heard from everyone except the lady herself. Julie? Whazzup?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.