Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Update
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 12:12

Well, I've delayed writing this post but here we go. It's looking like my remote cabin life may be short-lived and I'm going to be putting my property up for sale fairly soon, having to move closer to town.

I've been sick since late November and have lost nearly 20 percent of my body weight, at this point, and it's still dropping. I'm scary thin. The other signs and symptoms are suggesting lymphoma and I've had prelim testing done. I'm currently awaiting a lymph node removal and biopsy.

The good news is that if it is, we've caught it early. The bad news, of course, is that I'm going to require a lot of doctoring and treatment, regardless. There's something very wrong. Living in a forest, 25 miles from a doctor, pharmacy, etc. and with a mountain in-between isn't safe. Especially with in winter.

I wish I could figure out a way to keep my property and have a place in town but I just don't see how. I don't have much money and caring for 2 places is WAY beyond my strength and ability. So, there it is.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 12:16 - Edited by: bldginsp

Oh that's tough Julie, I'm very sad to hear it.

Have you considered renting the cabin out? That may pay rent in town near the doctor til you're better.

Take care of yourself and know that we are thinking of you.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 12:27

bldginsp
Thank you.

The shabin isn't built to dwelling code and is off-grid so I don't think I could rent it. If I kept the property, it would be so I could enjoy it in the summer and fall when possible but live closer town. That would be my ideal but I just don't see how.

Gah, it's such a beautiful property. I chose it so carefully. But I didn't see this coming.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 14:28

Life is what happens while you are making other plans- John Lennon

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 14:56

dear Julie.
u have to do what u have to do for u to be ok.
you were already thin and tiny.
i think u are making the right move.
most people out here dont live in coded places anyway...but u probably wouldnt want that element renting your little shabin anyway.
it may be more of a headache to rent it out.
u can always go to a park and get your nature fix..or come visit us.
praying u are ok.hugs cabi.

abby
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 15:06

thinking of you, Julie. so happy it was caught early. just enjoy town and get well. you never know what life may bring a couple years from now. my little brother had lymphoma, contained thank goodness, tumor removed and some chemo but is now healthy again. I bet town is lovely, too. just do keep checking in, as I will be wanting to know how you are. hugs!! not a dream lost, just a bump in the road.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 16:24

Hi Julie, I came in late and don't know everything about your plans and health but have enjoyed the communications we've had. Hoping the best for your health. As far as rural living, having had my cabin for a couple of years now as well as a house in a small city, there are a lot of conveniences about city life to be had..

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 17:40

cabingal3
The two resorts have cabin rentals right on the lake with amenities, plus there are private people who have built quaint little vacation cottages to rent out. So, you're right -- I'd likely have to worry that my place wouldn't be in good hands. Plus, I'd need ample liability insurance. Best just to sell because it does have a variety of uses right off the bat.

Remember that lovely park by the lake that I took y'all around on the way out to my property? I may try to find a place around there. And of course I'd love to come visit your beautiful homestead!

At least we are blessed to be surrounded by pretty!

abby
Thank you, Abby. So glad your brother is doing well! There are no tumors on my nodes, thank goodness, but they're big, reactive, and vascular, according to the tests, and have been for months. No infection. Lupus puts me at heightened risk, as does my main medication. The weight loss, despite forcing myself to consume mega-calories and being cabin/snowbound, is nuts.

I hope to find something small and cottagey just outside town. I'm proud of myself for living off-grid successfully during an awful winter. There's that, anyway!

paulz
Thanks! And I do hope you'll look us up if you come up Oregon way!

The goal of simple living remains. Electricity and plumbing will be helpful but, boy, have I learned to conserve! Pacific Power will hate me, lol.

don62
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 19:55

Julie, good luck, I was diagnosed with lymphoma a year ago. I went through 6 months of chemo. I just had my 2nd 3 month ct scan and still all clear, doctors are really making good progress with treatments, If you do end up selling, get better and youll find a another place, maybe better....

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 21:30

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I'm proud of myself for living off-grid successfully during an awful winter. There's that, anyway!

No easy thing
For anyone

You survived the winter
Off grid

Nobody can take that away

Quite the whirlwind of activity
You did more in a few months than most do in years
(including us)

And
You began it all just before winter

The deck was stacked
You played some tough hands

Came away unscathed
Wiser
More capable
Experienced

Yes
You’ll do it again
Summer is more forgiving
Much more forgiving

But, yes
No easy thing
For anyone

See ya in town

Salty Craig
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 21:54

Julie2Oregon

Best wishes!
Salty

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 08:46

Julie.we can see u more when u move to town.yay.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 11:24

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear that Julie. Life is hard to figure out sometimes. Please take care of yourself and we'll be thinking of you. Stop in and check in on all of us if you have the time!

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 12:03

Gee wiz Julie... All my best wishes and positive thoughts your way. My own health is deteriorating and constantly getting in the way of what I want to do, just hope I can finish what I want to have done before my time is up, which is not that far down the road... I'm just hoping to see 2020.

To the guy's out there... GET your PSA tests and follow up - don't wait till your 40 or 50 either ! Catch it early - the consequences are to be avoided, especially when it's gone too far.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 16:52 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

This weather is making things really difficult. The locals are shaking their heads. Yep, the area gets snow but it's generally not so constant, not so much and not this cold for so long. As I've been told, it will usually snow, then some will melt during a break. Then it will snow some again, etc. Not this year.

I have feet of the stuff piled up with very little melting. And it's March. Several more inches fell this morning. That is going to delay what I can do. I think I'm going to have to move to an apartment in town soon to have a proper home base from which to get my medical care, look for a place, and work with Realtors. Sitting out here at the mercy of Mother Nature and constantly having to reschedule medical appointments isn't productive.

don62
Oh, I'm so glad you're doing well and every best wish that it continues! That is so hopeful!

Gary O
It's ironic that I handled a bad (for this area) Oregon winter off-grid and alone but am moving to town in time for good weather, haha. Life is weird. Maybe it's a metaphor, though, for how I'll handle this additional health crap, too. Determined, unflinching.

Salty Craig
Thank you!

cabingal3
That will be the best part! I miss you two! And I make better coffee than Burger King or Denny's. Better food, too. It will be a blessing to see you around my table.

Smawgunner
Thank you! Will do! I'm hoping for something cottagey. Definitely small. The adventure will continue.

Steve_S
Oh, gosh, my friend. I am SO SORRY to read this. We need to reset that clock, turn it back just like this weekend, but years instead of just an hour.

Fresh air, good organic food, Asian spices like turmeric, green and white tea (I make and drink only herbal iced teas but have to cut back on green because it's loaded with Vitamin K and interferes with my anti-coagulation therapy). Turmeric, especially, is a cancer fighter. Hey, it tastes great on food so WTH.

Positive thoughts to you, too. Take good care! Please let me know how you are! I've so appreciated your support!

Julie

hattie
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 20:52

I'm so sorry that all your plans have gone awry. I hope your health improves and perhaps then you can make new plans for country living.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 7 Mar 2017 15:59

hattie
Thank you! It's pretty messed up. Some things related to my Lupus improved a bit or at least leveled out some, as I'd hoped, by getting out of the ever-present hot, dry, sunny climate of Texas and into fresh air, clean, cooler living. But now this. I guess when the immune system is wonky, it will always be something.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.