Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Pictures of my sleeping cabin/bunky going up on Georgian Bay
Cyn
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 23:00

This was partially prefabbed by Cabana Village and then barged out to the island. I had them install on preprepared piers.
157.jpg
157.jpg
172.jpg
172.jpg
181.jpg
181.jpg
190.jpg
190.jpg

Cyn
# Posted: 22 Mar 2017 23:07

Here are some finished shots
loft
loft
20090906DSC_0037.jp.jpg
20090906DSC_0037.jp.jpg
cabin4.jpg
cabin4.jpg
cabin13.jpg
cabin13.jpg

manny
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 11:27

Very nice

Cyn
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 14:54

thanks. it's an 18 by 18 footprint with a loft. A 5' front screened in porch is included in the footprint with 2 sets of french doors opening into the living spaces (bedroom on one side and sitting area with bathroom on the other). Everything can be opened up to feel like the entire can is a screened in porch for those extra warm nights (and days) or closed up when it's miserable.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 17:53

Hi Cyn.
Looks great! I'm on the Bruce and just wondered.... certainly couldn't do that under current building codes in the area. Does being on an island make it different or are you trying to fly under the radar?

Cyn
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 18:36

Interesting. What would they not allow on the Bruce? This in Shawanaga Bay - County of the Archipelago - all permitted and inspected Summer residence only. There is no power but we do have a mound septic and on demand submersible pumps.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 09:24

Anywhere on the Bruce Peninsula and most areas within 3 hours of TO the codes are the same. The minimum square footage is 1000 sq ft and requires septic, foundation, etc. Basically you are building a house. You are not allowed to put up a "shed" 100 sq ft or 300 sq ft etc. until you have a 1000 sq ft cabin / cottage already on your lot. They have started also doing fly overs for those who are non compliant and making them remove those unpermitted structures. You can't even put a trailer or camp on your lot. We have 2.2 acres outside of Lions Head.....rules are pretty standard. Our original plan had been a summer cabin like yours...simple and no frills...we were told no way, illegal and not to code. That's why I was wondering if an island falls under a different zoning bylaw...but I didn't think it did...though your township may be considered an "unorganized" Township which has less code restrictions...just thinking that might be the case or your area may still be zoned as Recreation, not recreation / residential like many areas. Regardless, the place looks great!

Cyn
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 11:33 - Edited by: Cyn

Sorry for the confusion. This is a sleeping cabin. No kitchen. All permitted and inspected. A main cabin 20x24 already existed. Been the family's summer cottage for 60 years. Built long before the current codes. Editing back in because on my page an ad seems to have attached to this answer. If you are all also seeing it I apologize. I have no idea why an ad attached to my post.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 13:31

Bushbunkie

The rules are not that simple. We are 2 hours from Toronto and are permitted 528sf minimum, pier foundation and composting toilet. We are water access and on a lake with no grid connection.

Cyn
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 13:55 - Edited by: Cyn

Your rules sound more similar to ours Ontario Lakeside, for the main cabin size. Secondary bunkies can be smaller

bushbunkie
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 19:32

Cyn, that makes sense....anyhow, nice looking sleeping cabin...the guests will be spoiled!

Cyn
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 20:56

Thanks!
The bunky is my digs, built so my parents can stay in the main cabin (which has only one bedroom). It's convoluted, but my husband and I bought the cottage from my parents because they could not carry the costs anymore and rather than seeing it leave the family (my grandfather built the cottage) we bought and gave my parents life tenancy. We come up often at the same time although this may be their last summer they feel they can make the trek. We love our sleeping cabin so much, we plan to continue using it for retiring to in the evening and for sleeping. And the guests can sleep in the main cabin!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 18:15

Cyn, That's a great story...we can relate. My parents sold our family cottage a few years ago. They were on Balsam Lake around Lindsay. None of the kids unfortunately could afford to buy it ($700,000) and the taxes were almost $8000. a year....insane. So knowing how much cottage life meant to us growing up and would mean to my kids...and the rest of my sibs since the cottage was now out of the family....my wife and I built (still building and finishing the interior, wiring and plumbing ourselves) up on the Bruce. We now live in Sarnia (orig, from TO), so the Bruce made more sense as a 3.5 hour drive. Your island sounds awesome...but what I like are the memories will stay in your family...nice work.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 12:52 - Edited by: hattie

Looks beautiful, Cyn. Congratulations!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.