Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member from NW Ontario
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Sep 2017 18:10

OK... I found the tags after a little digging in my garbage, don't say much BUT at least the importer is on it, so I just scanned it in and posting it for you, hopefully it will help you track down a local vendor for the Maple Leaf sign...
Canada Sign TAG
Canada Sign TAG

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 25 Sep 2017 18:29

Thanks Steve! I'll check out our home hardware and look at Castle next time I'm in Atikokan.
Gotta love the Canada 150 merch made in China.

KabinKat
# Posted: 25 Sep 2017 21:54

Looking Great!!!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 9 Oct 2017 23:07

Spent the day out starting on the siding. Stopped when the nailer ran out of power. I think we got a pretty good start, and it looks amazing! Now we have to start staining some more boards. We only have a few more out there that we can use.
22291110_10155905207.jpg
22291110_10155905207.jpg
22383987_10155905207.jpg
22383987_10155905207.jpg

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 17:22

very nice!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 26 Oct 2017 23:06

I've managed to make it out every weekend lately. Made some decent progress on the siding and we now have solar power. My last trip was lots of puttering to finish odd jobs.
After watching a ton of tiny house tour videos, I've decided I'm going to add a mall window to the back wall to bring in some more light.
We also ordered our wood stove.We went with the cubic mini grizzly. We'll figure out the insurance later since they still haven't gotten back to us.
22499074_10155921287.jpg
22499074_10155921287.jpg
PA210459.JPG
PA210459.JPG
PA210463.JPG
PA210463.JPG

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 26 Nov 2017 18:33 - Edited by: Whiskey Jack

Finally got some work started on the interior. Pine tongue and groove is going up. We got the woodstove. Just waiting on the wall mount for it, then we can get that installed and have real heat.
I'm still waiting on someone to give me a hand with the electrical. I have to get that done before I can finish the interior.
image11.JPG
image11.JPG
image2.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image3.JPG

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 3 Dec 2017 10:49

Had another good day. The ceiling support for the stove is cut as is the ceiling. I just need to put the hole in the metal roofing, attach the wall mount and we'll officially have wood heat.
24302012_10156059998.jpg
24302012_10156059998.jpg

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 12 Dec 2017 15:29

Finally got the wood stove installed! I spent my first winter night in the bunkie. The Grizzly easily got the bunkie to 20C when it was -16C outside. I did have to get p twice in the night to start a new fire. I woke up about 3 hours after lighting each fire when the temp was about 10C inside. So far I'm very happy with the little stove. Three more days till I head out again!
I also found fresh wolf tracks running down the road and what I think are Pine Martin tracks right by the bunkie.
PC080472.JPG
PC080472.JPG
PC080473.JPG
PC080473.JPG

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 12 Dec 2017 18:52

Great! I've been waiting for details on the Grizzly. It looks terrific. Are you mainly burning lumber scraps? Have you tried cooking on it yet?

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 13 Dec 2017 07:00

Lumber scraps and some compressed logs my parents gave me. It's incredibly easy to get going. Throw in some crumpled newspaper or a fire starter, fill with wood, light and shut the door.
I haven't properly cooked on it yet, but I warmed up chicken and potatoes in the roaster and boiled water several times.
I'm going out this weekend and want to try cooking a meal on it.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Dec 2017 09:15

Congrats, looks good, bet it feels good too when it's -17 outside LOL... You'll get better burn and longer time when using proper hardwoods as opposed to scrap SPF. You may want to pickup a magnetic chimney thermometer to keep yourself safe & optimal like the one below. They're cheap enough and along with a good smoke detector for piece of mind.

SBI Chimney Thermometer

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 13 Dec 2017 10:07

Hey steve. A thermometer is on my list to pick up before I go up this weekend. We have a few piles of birch and poplar that weee cut when the road was put in. I'll be bringing the chainsaw there to cut some good wood.
The smoke and CO detector is already in place. In such a small space I didn't want to take chances.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Dec 2017 17:24

Birch, Poplar good firestarter & good quick but short heat. Fresh & Unseasoned NOT so good BTW and if cut and left this summer... well... not really prudent or wise. Don't mean to be a negative Nellie but safety first eh !

On the Firelogs that are bought... stick to ONLY compressed sawdust type, none of those with waxes, additives or cleaners, those should be illegal but I won't get into that I think BMR has a good sale on compressed sawdust log boxes this week... might be Home Hardware, I forget right now... just saw a flyer which went in to start my fire this morning.

Enjoy & Have FUN !

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 14 Dec 2017 08:04

The birch and poplar has been piled for years. It should be well seasoned by now. The road was cut over 5 years ago.
The logs are straight compressed sawdust. They crumble very easily. I don't think I've ever saeen ones with way outside of pucks designed as fire starters.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 21 May 2018 21:55

The road finally opened up enough to get the trailer back out recently. We brought up quite a bit for supplies to complete several projects. The first one was getting everything wired. We now have lights and plug ins working. So far, no issues keeping the battery charged.
We rather spontaneously put in a deck in front of the bunkie. My mom had issues getting up the high step, so this makes it easier for her to get in, and gives us a seating spot. It should also ease some of the pressure on the surrounding trees from the soil compaction.
This weekend we made good progress on the kitchen area. We put in a live edge pine shelf for the counter, some pine shelving and finished off most of the siding.
We also built an outhouse! Not the traditional style as we have a portable toilet in it and will eventually switch to a composting toilet.
I found out on the weekend that my parents bought us a shed as well, so that will be a project for the next couple of weeks.
The last big project for the summer will be the stairs down to the lake and doing some work on the fire pit area.
P5120503.JPG
P5120503.JPG
P5130505.JPG
P5130505.JPG
33044144_10156544750.jpg
33044144_10156544750.jpg
32958043_10156544764.jpg
32958043_10156544764.jpg

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 22 May 2018 18:20

I forgot to mention, we went out boxing day for four days/3 nights. My wife and I, three kids, and three dogs. Temps hit about -20C during the day and -36C at night. The Grizzly did an amazing job keeping the bunkie warm. It was actually too warm the first night. The kids complained about the heat. The next two nights we managed to keep the lower temp around 16C during the night, so upstairs was sitting around 20C.

Mike 870
# Posted: 22 May 2018 20:48

The bunkie looks great! Love the siding and roof and door colors. That grizzly looks like a beauty. The t&G pine came out really nice on the interior as well.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 22 May 2018 22:22

Thanks Mike! We're finishing it the same way we want to do the cabin. Getting the T&G pine is proving to be the most difficult part. We went to pick up more tonight and only found one worth buying. We ended up leaving it until they get more stock.
We're very happy with the grizzly. It works like a charm and looks great.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 3 Jun 2018 20:59

We finally knocked off a project that has been bugging me for a while. The ladder to the loft is done! I messed it up last week and cut the inserts for the rungs wrong on the second piece. This weekend I got it right. Since I didn't have a dado blade, I set the depth on the miter saw and just ran it back and forth 10 times to make each one. A quick sand removed any high spots. The kids love it. So much better than the ladder that was left at our house for accessing the attic. It also made more room at that end of the bunkie.
We also got another shelf put up. The matching shelf for the other side is on top of it waiting for the siding to be finished.
Every trip out gets the interior a bit more organized and roomy.
P6030509.JPG
P6030509.JPG
P6030511.JPG
P6030511.JPG

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 10:57

We found a used truck camper that was in decent shape for a really good price. After some minor repairs, we expanded our driveway area and put it out at camp. Now when we have friends and family out they can actually stay the night. My buddy that brought it out came out with two of his kids and tested it out that weekend. Apparently it's pretty comfy.
Expanded driveway
Expanded driveway
New camper
New camper

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 11:12 - Edited by: Whiskey Jack

I took a week off work to de-stress and spent 4 days out at camp with just my dog for company. I managed to make some good progress on some of my projects despite the heat.
We now have the start of our boardwalk going to the bunkie. This is to both keep the amount of mud brought inside down, as well as to alleviate the soil compression. Some of the areas of the path have sunk around 5" since we started using the path. Hopefully the soil will rebound and the trees will be able to keep a strong root system.
My wife has been looking at the metal trees that are for sale at all the craft shows for the past couple of years. I finally hooked up with a local artist and got a custom made pine tree for our wall. My wife was ecstatic.
I started on the soffit (I think?). It's turning out nicely. I had to relocate Stewart, our dock spider guardian from above the door. He didn't seem impressed.
And finally, I started on the stairs to the lake. Now we don't have to worry about slipping on the slick rocks or sending more soil down in the lake. I'm hoping the remaining soil will stabilize and some moss will recover the bare rock. This weekend we will be starting on the deck above it so you can actually get onto the stairs without climbing onto them.
Not pictured: the new stand for our solar panels. I just had them resting against a tree at the end of the driveway. We were having issues getting a full charge. They are now about 5' off the ground and 15' farther out from the tree line. The battery now gets a full charge any day it is sunny.

I would love to know why when you realign a photo it still posts sideways.
Boardwalk
Boardwalk
Iron pine
Iron pine
The soffit
The soffit
stairs
stairs

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 12:29

Say, What did you end up going with for your stove pipe on the Grizzly? Thanks!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 13:07

I used the double wall pipe that cubic mini sells. It works great, bit it is pricey.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 18:31

Thanks for the info, I am seriously considering the Grizzly for my bunkie, too. What did you end up using for roof pass through components and chimney cap? Thanks!

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 19:07

The chimney cap I bought from a local supplier. It is designed for a pellet stove. I used a rubber boot to go through the roof, and a ceiling support kit from home depot in the us. I had to get friends to order it and then picked it up when we were down there. It's worked pretty well, but we have had some leaking issues. Still trying to figure out where the water is getting in.

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 08:46 - Edited by: Whiskey Jack

My wife joined me for a kid free couple of days to get the deck at the top of the stairs done. Weather was gorgeous, if a little too warm at over 30C. The lake sure helped with that. Progress the first day was painfully slow, but we had the base done by the evening. That allowed us to grab the dogs and the canoe and go blueberry picking. I started eating blueberries on July 7th at camp. Have never seen them so early. Picked on one little point for an hour and a half until we were baked.
Pictures in order: progress shot, Skadi inspecting the foundation, the wife and I, the view from the deck.
P7140002.JPG
P7140002.JPG
P7140003.JPG
P7140003.JPG
P7140006.JPG
P7140006.JPG
P7140007.JPG
P7140007.JPG

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 08:50

A quick pic of the canoe trip across the lake. We're always full with the three dogs. The second shot is from the bottom of the stairs. Due to the steepness of the slop we had to cut a section of deck out, add bracing, and install an additional stair to connect with the main stairs.
Canoeing for blueberries
Canoeing for blueberries
View from below
View from below

Whiskey Jack
# Posted: 19 Aug 2018 19:00

This has been a weekend of wrapping up projects. It feels good to finally have some organization here. Once I get pictures sorted I'll post a update of the progress.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 10:39

I love your log siding and the color combination. If not for maintenance issues I would have done the same . Enjoy your cabin!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.