Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 24 X 26 Cabin build in Vermont
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Great Outdoors
# Posted: 14 Aug 2018 18:14 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Iburners, I am working fulltime as well... 12 hour night shifts but I did take a week of vacation to work on it as well. I was away on vacation with the family last week so no work was done but we were back at it yesterday. My dad who was a carpenter many years ago has been helping a ton. My father-in-law and one of my brothers has also helped quite a bit. My friend who is a carpenter has also been helping. Without my dad I wouldn't have half of what I have done, he is the brains of the operation

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 14 Aug 2018 18:25 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

We are almost ready for the roof to be put on. Just a few more odds and ends. The weather was crappy today so my dad and I worked on figuring out and cutting the stair stringers to go to the second floor. I had to leave early as I had an appointment at the surgeons to have two large pine splinters removed that have been lodged in between my middle and index finger for three weeks. Due to their location I had to go to a hand surgeon, lol. After 15-20 minutes of digging around in there she finally pulled out two pieces of pine that were about 3/8" each.. 5 stitches later and another co-pay and I was headed home.
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg

bigriver
# Posted: 14 Aug 2018 18:34

looking good

rockies
# Posted: 14 Aug 2018 18:50

Very lucky. When I was about 12 I was trying to pull a rusty flat head nail out of the end of a piece of plywood and it wouldn't move so I decided to hammer it all the way in. The nail head snapped off at the first blow and went into my eye.

Fortunately my dad had this weird device that looked like a pen with a metal loop on one end and a magnet at the base of the loop. He touched the loop to the spot where the nail head went under the surface of my eye and it flicked right out.

Apparently the surface of the eye self seals almost instantly so there was no damage afterward. Never had a problem with my eyesight either.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 14 Aug 2018 19:27

Thanks bigriver… rockies, sounds like you are the lucky one! You never know when disaster will strike, I seem to have more than my fair share of injuries, lol.. Seems like I at least get stitches every couple of years.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 07:58

Yesterday my dad and I managed to get the porch and cabin hanging rafters tied in together. My dad had been dreading it. It was a lot of moving ladders, sawdust in the face and working on high uneven ground off ladders but we got it done. I am terrified of heights (fell 22' from a ladder 3 years ago) so between that and my bandaged up lobster claw of a hand my dad did the sawing and construction.. I mostly just held boards in place. Today we'll work on the stairs to the loft.
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 18 Aug 2018 14:06

We finished the stairway up to the loft area yesterday and put in some temporary stair treads. We had to cut out the bottom chords of two trusses then box them in. Good thing my dad knows what he's doing, lol. We also framed up the walls on either side of the stairway and cleaned up a bit inside.
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg

rockies
# Posted: 18 Aug 2018 17:11

Trusses come pre-engineered from the company that makes them. They are usually designed specifically for the project and can't be altered or cut in any way without engineering approval.

How exactly did you "box them in" because it sounds like you've severely weakened the structure.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 19 Aug 2018 12:24

We didn't cut out the whole bottom chords, just where the stairs go. I should have written headed them off instead of boxing them in. I'll take a few pictures today when I go up to paint the trim boards.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 23:35

Here are a couple pictures of how we headed off the stairway. The roofer set up his staging the other day and dropped off the drip edge he made today. He will be back in the morning to start putting the standing seam roof up, I am excited... too bad I will miss most of it because I am probably going to go help my brother tear off the sugar house cupola then off to bed.
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg

rockies
# Posted: 22 Aug 2018 13:33

Unfortunately, when you cut out any part of a truss (even a couple of inches to install a plumbing pipe) it eliminates the strength of the entire truss. This is especially true of the bottom piece since it is under a great deal of "expansion" stress (it prevents the loads from the roof transferring into the exterior walls and pushing them outward).

I hope you have added extra reinforcement at the stairs where the section has been cut out, and you might consider doubling up the bottom chords on the trusses next to the ones you cut.

snobdds
# Posted: 22 Aug 2018 13:45

Quoting: rockies
Unfortunately, when you cut out any part of a truss (even a couple of inches to install a plumbing pipe) it eliminates the strength of the entire truss. This is especially true of the bottom piece since it is under a great deal of "expansion" stress (it prevents the loads from the roof transferring into the exterior walls and pushing them outward).

I hope you have added extra reinforcement at the stairs where the section has been cut out, and you might consider doubling up the bottom chords on the trusses next to the ones you cut.

Only that's not a truss, it's a floor joist.

He's fine.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 23 Aug 2018 19:45

We built a wall on each side of the stairway which are supporting the sections of bottom chord we took out for the stairway. I will look into doubling up the ones on either side as well. Thanks

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 24 Aug 2018 14:25 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Here is a picture of the roof progress as of an hour ago as well as the wire and conduit which will be buried tomorrow morning. I still need to put the phone line conduit together but that will have to wait until tomorrow after I get done work.. hoping to get 3 or so hours of sleep before my shift tonight.
IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1654.jpg
IMG_1654.jpg

Thewaylifeshouldbe
# Posted: 24 Aug 2018 23:36 - Edited by: Thewaylifeshouldbe

Awesome project!! I'm planning on building almost the same thing. I'm interested in seeing how u built the floor system on the 1st floor and how your running the stairs from the basement. Did you put in a carrier beam. Hoping I dindnt miss pics and am asking reduntent questions. Also did you have any problems getting permits with those plans. I have been messing around drawing plans myself and it's been a lot of fun but I'm worried they won't be detailed enough for a building permit. Great job btw I really like the porch and daylight basement.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 25 Aug 2018 06:52

Thanks Thewaylifeshouldbe, we did put a carrying beam in the basement to support the first floor. I will try to remember to take some pictures. Getting the permit to build wasn't a problem at all. I just had to give the outside dimensions and obey the property line setback requirements. I found a few plans I liked then sort of combined and tweaked them so I could fit as much as possible in a small space. I have some serious hours into the design and layout having changed and moved things several times. The porch isn't quite done yet as I still need to put in the braces for the four posts and the peak of the dormer. It is coming together nicely, unfortunately I am starting to run out of funds so most of the interior will have to wait.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 27 Aug 2018 20:52

They got most of the front roof on today except for the dormer and my dad and I got the 4 front windows in. We got the power line and conduit buried as well as the conduit for the phone line Saturday. I had only slept 2 hours on Friday and managed to squeeze in about 4.5 Saturday, I slept like a baby Sunday after work for 6 hours then back to work for 12 more. I have been up for 26 hours as of now and I am off to bed, no work for the next 2 days at least.
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 06:41 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

The roof is on except for the vented ridge cap which they should be back today to finish. The power company is supposed to come hook up the power at the pole tomorrow but I am still a ways away from being ready to connect it inside. My help has pretty much dried up except for my dad on occasion. My friend has not been back for over 3 weeks since he has taken on to much work and now is trying to make appearances here and there to keep people somewhat happy.. I am pretty frustrated but I understand the need to keep a stacked schedule, just wish he would have finished my place first . Hopefully he comes back next week as I really need to get the rest of the windows and doors in and get the rest of the house wrap on. I want it sided, insulated, and wired before the snow flies which could be as early as late October.

Cabindreaming24
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 10:03

Looks great! I’m interested in something similar. If you don’t mind me asking what’s the total construction cost so far

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 21:22 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

At this point I have roughly $60,000 into it which includes:
-excavation/materials (stone, etc.) -- $6000
-foundation/concrete -- $7600
-building materials/miscellaneous (including insulation, stove/pipe, and everything to finish the outside) --$32,600
-standing seam metal roof --$8000
-power to the building --$3300
-carpentry labor --$2500

This project has gone way over budget but I am doing this with the intention of hopefully using it as my retirement home. I could have shaved a good chunk of money off by not getting premium products like the windows, doors ($3600 alone), trim, and siding so keep that in mind.

However, I also have saved a lot on labor by doing a lot of work myself and having lots of help from family. I will be working in my brother's sugarbush again this year as well as helping with upcoming projects to pay him back. I am quickly running out of funds but I am still hoping to get the living room/kitchen and dining area finished.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 16:25 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

The roof was finished up back on the 1st as was the power to the pole. Since then we haven't done too much as I have also been helping my brother with his sugarhouse and stripping off the roof of his rental property. I have worked on grading out some of the dirt and we put the front door in today. The overhead door company also came this morning to install the overhead door for the walkout.
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg

Rys
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 21:03

Wow! It's looking great.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 13 Sep 2018 21:10

Thanks! My Dad and one of my brothers helped me get the rest of the house wrap on and the remaining windows in.. The top two in both ends were not fun as they are quite high but we did it. I will have to do a more thorough job with the wrap at the top when I get to the point with the siding (most likely get a lift for a couple days) but it is good enough for now. I'll post some pictures tomorrow night if I get a chance.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Sep 2018 20:35

Here are a few pictures, I forgot to mention that I stained the rest of the beams the other day that hadn't been done yet (still have some more to put up). I went up and put in the front door handle and deadbolt this morning.
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:26 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

So With the help of my Dad and one of my Brother's we got the beams up on the ends of the porch (mainly just for looks). I got the soffit up under the back eaves and my Dad and I have been putting up the Boral trim and metal flashing above the foundation insulation which I had made by the guy who did the standing seam roof. We also closed in the ends of the porch. Today we'll trim up some more exterior windows and maybe a door or two.
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 23:37

We've been working on the cabin for a few hours here and there. We managed to get some siding on and most of the windows and one door are trimmed out on the exterior. Working on it when the temps are in the 30's is not as much fun as it was when it was warmer.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 27 Oct 2018 15:13

Here are som pictures from today. We got the back finished, I like it. I will need to put a final coat on the trim boards sometime if it warms up.
4235220C911E4DE2A.jpeg
4235220C911E4DE2A.jpeg
FCC90D66D24B42D48.jpeg
FCC90D66D24B42D48.jpeg
6D6484FF73404AE49.jpeg
6D6484FF73404AE49.jpeg
BAA871D53AFD4E3BA.jpeg
BAA871D53AFD4E3BA.jpeg

rockies
# Posted: 27 Oct 2018 18:13

What are you planning for the exterior door stairs? Hopefully you are adding a deep landing and then the stairs since it can be a hazard to step out of a building right onto the top step of a staircase.

If you are adding a landing why not tie it in to the deck around the corner? You might be able to put a bar-b-que there as well.

Also, on your roof I'm guessing that the larger pipe on the left is for the chimney. By code you have to extend the pipe at least 2' above the ridge.

lburners
# Posted: 28 Oct 2018 00:50

That thing is looking way more like a house than a cabin from here. Niice work.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 31 Oct 2018 02:10 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Rockies, thanks again for your input. I had thought about a landing but my space on that side of the property is extremely limited due to setback requirements and where the driveway has to be. The treads are 2x12's and it doesn't seem bad to step out onto but if I can see and appreciate the concern. If after more use it looks like it will be a problem I will definitely revisit potential fixes. The pipe on the left is actually just the roof jack where the stove pipe will go through. I still need to install the stove and pipe and will make sure it is to code. lburners, thanks for the compliments.. I am hoping to retire here someday so I am kind of going about this with that in mind. My Dad and I trimmed out the windows and doors on the front the day before yesterday and the mounting blocks for the exterior outlets, etc. finally came in so we were able to get some more siding up yesterday. We got up to the top of the windows on the walk out side and on the other side we could only go up to where the supports will be for the door overhang.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.