Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 24 X 26 Cabin build in Vermont
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Jan 2019 15:44

So it's been quite some time since I last posted any updates. I haven't done any work on the outside since the weather turned to crap in November. I have been plucking away at running the plumbing venting above the ceiling and insulating it as well as doing a little wiring. Here is the where the outside stands as of now. I am still waiting for the roofer to come and install the standing seam roof on the entrance overhang.
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg
IMG_2042.jpg
IMG_2042.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Jan 2019 15:45

Here are a few more of the exterior.
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Jan 2019 15:57 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Here are a few of the venting and ceiling insulation. It starts out with R-30 at the bottom, R-27 polyiso on the slant, and finally two layers of R-30 in the actual ceiling. I used Owens Corning Raft-R-Mate baffle vents for between the Kraft faced insulation and the roof decking and then 1 1/2 in spacers under the polyiso insulation to allow for proper venting up to the ridge vent.
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg
IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2264.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Jan 2019 16:09

couple more... My dad helped me cut and place the polyiso insulation... what a messy and dusty material to work with. I purchased a special 6 inch jigsaw blade made for cutting insulation but this stuff was too dense and thick so the blade wandered.. I ended up using a skill saw on one side which made a huge mess and the jigsaw with foam blade to finish from the other which seemed to work ok.
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 19 Feb 2019 23:12

Finally finished up insulating the cabin the other day. I have been plucking away at it whenever I got the chance. I will work on the wiring when I get a chance but not until after we return from vacation. Sugaring will be starting soon as well and I owe my brother some time for his help and the use of his excavator so it might be awhile before I can get any more serious work done at the cabin.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 9 Mar 2019 21:15

My Dad came up yesterday and helped me put up the downstairs bedroom partitions and we framed up the closet near the front door.. another hour of so and the downstairs inside walls will be all framed in. Still need to get the wiring done but I decided I will try to get all the inside walls framed up if possible before sugaring starts and I need help my Dad and Brother with that.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Mar 2019 15:37

Your moving along really quick.

What program did you use to make the drawings in your first post?

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 12 Mar 2019 23:24

Thanks Brettny.. I didn't use any program, those are all just hand drawings I came up with on graph paper. It took several hours and revisions before I came up with my final design. Lots of tweaking and shifting things around in order to make everything fit and function. It was a fun process.

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Mar 2019 10:50

Damn your good

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 15 Mar 2019 02:34

LOL, thanks Brettny. I actually enjoyed the process. Working with graph paper makes the drawing and planning much easier. I used to draw a lot when I was a kid but haven't really since then. This gave me an opportunity to do it again! I am working on the future kitchen cabinet sketch right now. I had one done but have since added a couple of feet to the wall they will go on as well as a 70" L section so I will have to redo it. All first floor partitions are up now so I will be plucking away at the wiring when time allows.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 28 Jun 2019 11:47

Well I haven't posted on here for quite sometime but that is because I haven't really worked on the cabin until recently. I rented a lift for two days and with my Dad's help and some from my brothers I was able to complete the trim, soffit, and siding on the two ends. I also worked on some of the landscaping and leveled and compacted an area for my kids to play basketball. I have the base for the hoop cemented now I just need to assemble and mount it to the base. The next thing I will be working on will be the porch ceiling but I am still unsure of how I want it finished.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 18:47

Here are a couple pictures of the finished ends. I haven’t done much up there since. I have been trying to get caught up on my firewood and other projects. I did get a gutter installed on the back which came out nice.
C351CD198E794CB8A.jpeg
C351CD198E794CB8A.jpeg
F1D868F4B45A414E8.jpeg
F1D868F4B45A414E8.jpeg
376F50B89DF54692B.jpeg
376F50B89DF54692B.jpeg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 28 Sep 2019 09:15 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

My Dad and I put up some sheet rock where the stove would go then I did a little taping and mudding ( I am far from being a professional lol). We got the stove in place the other day and put up some of the stove pipe. I plan on renting a lift in a couple weeks to put the last sections up through the roof as well as the cap.
42C445F3750847AFB.jpeg
42C445F3750847AFB.jpeg
92D8FA0CCF1C42538.jpeg
92D8FA0CCF1C42538.jpeg
29930ED756D54F409.jpeg
29930ED756D54F409.jpeg

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 28 Sep 2019 09:34

wow, looking great! I bet your view is even more incredible when the leaves turn color.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 10 Oct 2019 14:58 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

I really need to put the ceiling in for the porch and finish siding the front, lol.
F936CA1A26C7468CB.jpeg
F936CA1A26C7468CB.jpeg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 10 Oct 2019 19:04 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

I finally made it over to the Salmon River over in Pulaski NY last week and was able to catch a nice 40” Chinook Salmon. Man those are a blast to try and land!

rockies
# Posted: 10 Oct 2019 19:33 - Edited by: rockies

Is that a wood burning stove? If so, should there be a fireproof material like cement board all around the stove (at least 18" on either side and completely above it)?

Also, did you space any wood framing in the wall away from the stove or provide fireproof materials between the stove and framing?

I was reading this article about fireplace inserts.

https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/30491.PDF

On page 9 it talks about framing and the types of surfaces you can use and where you have to use non-combustible sealants.

Nate R
# Posted: 10 Oct 2019 21:30

Great Outdoors, what did you use for the window and door trim?

Looking good!

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 11 Oct 2019 22:37 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Rockies, it is a Supreme Astra high efficiency, zero clearance wood burning fireplace. https://www.supremem.com/astra_24TD.php It can be placed up against combustible materials and has one inch spacers attached to it on all sides to allow for a small air gap. The stove pipe is Simpson Duraplus which is an insulated triple wall pipe which only requires a two inch clearance from combustible materials. The stove/fireplace will have a hot air distribution system complete with a separate fan and thermostat to provide heat to the basement (the fireplace allows for up to 3 such systems). There are not a lot of reviews available for this brand of stove and it wasn't cheap so hopefully it turns out to be a good unit. The link you provided contains good information and thanks for providing it.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 11 Oct 2019 22:49

Nate, the trim boards are made by Boral and are a type of composite material. They can be bought in different profiles (the ones I used have a channel cut into them for siding to be installed and the ones I used around the windows have that channel plus one to allow for the nailing fin on new construction windows). I then just painted them like a regular board. It is a neat product but definitely on the pricy side. They will not rot or deteriorate which was my main draw to them. Here is a link https://www.wolfhomeproducts.com/system/files/Boral%20TruExterior%20Brochure.pdf

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 11 Oct 2019 22:52

Here's a picture of my salmon.. pay no attention to the mess it made on my leg, lol.
my_fish.jpg
my_fish.jpg

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Oct 2019 11:42

Hello Great Outdoors. Very nice. It is obvious that you put a lot of planning and researching into your work. And getting advice from professionals and experienced dads other family and friends who are there to help along the way.
I suspect that you have been planning all sorts of future projects also. Garage, hunting blinds, all more opportunities to spend time together as a family. I can say, as a dad, all the hours that I get to be able to spend with my son while he is building his home is all the pay I need. Watching him moving forward in his life. You are blessed to have your family around you.
Good luck in all your future endeavors. Family moments are forever moments !

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 13 Oct 2019 21:18

I appreciate it aklogcabin! I am very fortunate to have a supportive and knowledgeable family. I really enjoy the time I get to spend with my father and knowing that I will have something he helped build makes me happy. I hope I will have the opportunity to do the same for my kids when the time comes.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 15:35

I rented a lift the other day and we finished putting the stove pipe through the roof. It went pretty well and since I had the lift I put another coat of paint on the trim boards on one side. Today we wired up the blower for the stove and had a little test fire. I was just going to go home after we got it wired but he wasn’t going to go until he got to see the fruits of our labor, lol.
34694BA6915142B28.jpeg
34694BA6915142B28.jpeg
E374A418B6D246108.jpeg
E374A418B6D246108.jpeg
741B914DC83B4BC0B.jpeg
741B914DC83B4BC0B.jpeg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 18 Oct 2019 15:36 - Edited by: Great Outdoors

Short video, it puts off some nice heat and should serve me well.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 5 Dec 2019 02:58

Little update, we finished siding the front so the exterior is complete except for the porch ceiling. We have been working on some wiring but other than that not too much has been done. I took advantage of the energy efficiency program Vermont offers (I help pay for it so I might as well). I was able to get all the can lights and exterior flood lights I will need.. about $1300 worth for around $200. I have spent a lot of time in the woods trying to get a deer but that has proven to be difficult this year. My son did get his first so we will have some in the freezer at least. Hope all is well with everyone.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 5 Dec 2019 07:11

Nice progress on the cabin. That salmon is amazing too! Too bad I can't send you some deer. Our suburb is crammed with them and so tame that I think I almost could grab one with my hands. And so many coyotes too. And turkeys, flocks everywhere. There is a flock that loves to hang out in the 10ft strip of grass between the grocery store and the gas station! Good luck.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 9 Dec 2019 23:00

Thanks fiftyfifty! Where are you located, sounds like a wild place... lol.

rebar
# Posted: 26 Dec 2019 18:08

Wow, that's borderline house instead of cabin..

I would do a blower door test after learning air sealing is just as, or more important than the insulation itself. Especially in the attic where cathedral ceilings are known for condensation issues.

Beautiful house though..

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 24 Apr 2020 07:08

I haven't been on the site for awhile.. need to drop in more often! I didn't do too much on the camp this past winter. I have slept several times up there, usually a couple times a week. I have a little more wiring done and that is really it for the most part. Most of it is done in the kitchen/living room area and once it is I will finish the sheet rock there
and then the tongue and groove ceiling hopefully.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.