Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Wood Shed Project - completed
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 Dec 2018 21:09 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

I decided to build a new wood shed at my cabin. The old one was probably 35+ years old and had some structural issues.

I built the frame from 4x4 and landscaping timbers, and then used barn wood from a local saw mill. Put a metal roof on it, which I got from Lowes. The barn wood was so hard, I needed to pre-drill all the nail holes. Window and skylight let plenty of light in... so we can see the critters.

Turned out pretty well I think. It'll do for another 30 years.
frame
frame
roof
roof
window-sky-light
window-sky-light
front
front

creeky
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 00:10

Bet your looking forward to seeing it filled with wood. (If not the filling

Nate R
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 10:23

Looks good! Nice work!

I'm planning to do a small one myself this year, until I can figure out how much wood we go through and need to keep on hand. I was going to do some tinted polycarbonate roofing like your middle panel, hoping it will get a bit of sun to help dry, too.

Eddy G
# Posted: 18 Dec 2018 16:41

The transparent strip down the middle is an excellent idea. Thanks

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 19 Dec 2018 13:27

Thanks everyone...

I have to be honest about the strip down the middle. I installed it in order to make the metal roof "work".

When I decided on the size of the wood shed, I *assumed* that I would be able to buy metal sheeting that was 4x8. This is not the case. As a result, I put plywood down for the roof, and then put the metal strips over it, overlapping slightly so that I would not have to cut the metal. The clear material in the middle ended up fitting nicely, but it was not part of the original plan.

It all worked out... but I should have known what type of roofing material was available, and in what sizes first.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 19 Dec 2018 13:34

Quoting: Nate R
I was going to do some tinted polycarbonate roofing like your middle panel, hoping it will get a bit of sun to help dry, too

Nate, I found that the middle panel is quite flimsy... not sure I would do the whole roof in that material.

Good luck... let's see the pictures as you progress.

Nate R
# Posted: 19 Dec 2018 13:37

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
Nate, I found that the middle panel is quite flimsy... not sure I would do the whole roof in that material.

I have a sheet or 2 leftover from my outhouse, so it's cheap and easy for me to use that up and just get another couple sheets. Been OK on the outhouse for a couple years now, but I'm not having it span much between supports. We shall see! I'll post pics when I get that project going.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Dec 2018 12:58

The key is moving air through, dont seal sides/back tight, leave air gaps for breathing. Green on one side, seasoned on other side, rotate back and forth so always burning seasoned. As seasoned wood goes down, green should go up, unless your slacking.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.