Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Redbird Hidey-Hole on the Sand Creek
Kirk T
# Posted: 2 Apr 2019 22:02 - Edited by: Kirk T

Brief Introduction and Time Frame

I've lived in northern Oklahoma all my life and have been in the fire service a little over 30 years. Before the fire service, I worked for about 12 years in an automotive machine shop. My father was a carpenter, and fortunately, I picked up a lot from him. I've owned my property a little over a year now. I've been doing mostly cleanup and; Lord willing will retire in 17 months at which time I hope to spend most of my time there.

Does My Project Fit Here?

I’ve done a lot of research here on the Small Cabin Forum. However, this is my first post and start of my project thread. That is, if, those here on the forum feel it fits well enough for me to continue? Please reply with opinions so I know whether or not to proceed. My concern for fitting in is my project construction type is more conventional home-type construction on an old farmyard. What makes me feel that it may fit? The place is on several acres on a creek bank, fairly remote location. Will not be my permanent residence, more of a getaway or gathering place. I want to utilize pine tongue and groove inside and incorporate some unique features. The place has had a roof rainwater collection system that utilized a large underground cistern which I plan to put back into use. I hope to be off-grid with wood heat and lantern light when there. My plan is to give the place a complete makeover inside and out. Let me know what you think?
Farm_House.jpg
Farm_House.jpg

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 3 Apr 2019 03:00

Sounds good to me! I like reading about new projects and getaways.

rockies
# Posted: 4 Apr 2019 18:53

Lots of different building types on here from people who live in every type of climate and use there "cabin" for all sorts of reasons, full time or just weekends. Welcome.

As someone who has worked in the fire service for 30 years your wisdom on fire design and safety would be welcome too.

Kirk T
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 19:36 - Edited by: Kirk T

Thank You

Thank you Great Outdoors and Rockies. I appreciate your welcoming comments.

Kirk T
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 19:38

A Little History on The Redbird Hidey-Hole

On September 16, 1893, there was a great land run known as the Cherokee Strip Land Run or the opening of the Cherokee Outlet. It marked the opening and beginning of the settlement in the Cherokee Outlet in Oklahoma Territory’s fourth and largest land run. It was part of what would later become the state of Oklahoma in 1907. The land run started at noon. Settlers raced in from the northern and southern borders to stake a claim on a town lot or a quarter of a section which is 160 acres. The homesteaders or Pioneers were the people who lived in sparsely populated areas that require self-sufficiency. My place was one of those. The person who staked a claim had to occupy the land and make specific improvements on it for a certain amount of time to receive a deed for the property. The gentleman that staked his claim on the place married a young woman who’s family staked a claim 2 miles north of him. They built a sod house and lived in it until a more permanent house was built. The picture below is of them in front of their sod house. The picture probably was taken in the summer of 1894.
Sod_House.jpg
Sod_House.jpg

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 7 Apr 2019 08:57

Oh very interesting. I really like projects that have history attached. That sod house is something! Is there any natural prairie left on your land? I know somebody who ~20 years ago did what you plan, fixed up an old farmhouse. His second project was to do his best to bring back the prairie to a corner of his land, planting plants that would have grown there before it ever got farmed. Anyway, welcome!!

Kirk T
# Posted: 7 Apr 2019 09:17

Quoting: fiftyfifty
Is there any natural prairie left on your land?
Yes, there is. I have 1/2 mile of creek and everything except 14 acres and a little where the house is located is still native. I really get a lot of enjoyment from being there. I spent the day there yesterday and only one vehicle passed over on the county road.

Kirk T
# Posted: 7 Apr 2019 09:18

Jump ahead to 2007

While giving a fire department talk to retirees at the local retirement center, I met the 70 year old grandson of that pioneer. He still owned 40 acres of the original claim. The acquaintance grew into a friendship over the next few years. Several times he told me that he was going to leave the 40 acres to me when he passed. Being interested in the place, and the fact that he enjoyed talking about his family history and heritage, I was able to learn a lot about it. He even wrote me several pages of history. He passed away in July of 2017.

Kirk T
# Posted: 7 Apr 2019 10:49 - Edited by: Kirk T

The Acquisition

My Friend had never changed his will. His heirs ask if I would be the executor of his estate. I said I would if the fact that I was interested in the property wasn't to much a conflict of interest. His will left the place to his Sister who was not interested in owning it. After the estate closed she sold it to me.

Kirk T
# Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:31

Mostly Cleanup until Retirement

I am looking forward to the time, Lord willing, when I can start renovation on the old house and work on it daily in retirement. This old business of getting a good day in on a Saturday then at best having to wait a week before there’s another day available makes for slow progress. So I have mostly spent what time I have had cleaning the place up. The cleanup needs to be done first anyway and is very rewarding. I’ll share some before and after pictures.
E._Side_House_Before.png
E._Side_House_Before.png
Farm_House_From_SW_4.jpg
Farm_House_From_SW_4.jpg
Farm_House_8122019.png
Farm_House_8122019.png
Farm_House_32119.j.jpg
Farm_House_32119.j.jpg

Kirk T
# Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:55

Barn Find

This picture was taken from a loft in the far end of the barn. It is hard to tell but there is a 1972 IHC Travelall in the first picture. A little work and it runs great!
Inside_Barn_Before_C.png
Inside_Barn_Before_C.png
1972_IHC_Travelall_1.png
1972_IHC_Travelall_1.png
1972_IHC_Travelall_2.png
1972_IHC_Travelall_2.png

Kirk T
# Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:06

Some of the More Scenic Areas on the Place

The Sand Creek is home to some beautiful old Cottonwood trees. I’ve done much cleanup of dead fallen wood. It makes for great family gatherings.
Creek.PNG
Creek.PNG
Creek_Area_Cleaned_U.png
Creek_Area_Cleaned_U.png
Sand_Creek_Cottonwoo.png
Sand_Creek_Cottonwoo.png
Fall_Cottonwoods_1.P.png
Fall_Cottonwoods_1.P.png

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Apr 2019 20:20

Kirk, great story, cool history, neat on International. Not much rust either. Those were notorious for rust. That one ended up stowed in a bard safe from weather. Is that the 232 inline 6 cylinder and the 4 speed manual transmission? Sure cleaned up nice.

Kirk T
# Posted: 22 Apr 2019 09:28

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Is that the 232 inline 6 cylinder and the 4 speed manual transmission?

Toyota, it actually has a 392 V8 with an automatic transmission. It was pretty well loaded for its day with A/C, power steering and power brakes.

Here's a rig I've had a few years you might appreciate
2000_100_Series_1.JP.jpg
2000_100_Series_1.JP.jpg
2000_100_Series_2.JP.jpg
2000_100_Series_2.JP.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Apr 2019 23:31

Quoting: Kirk T
Toyota, it actually has a 392 V8 with an automatic transmission. It was pretty well loaded for its day with A/C, power steering and power brakes.

Rare options. Have you ever seen the 4 cylinder? My late twin brother had a Scout and it had the 4 cylinder. It was a V8 cut in half, goofiest thing you ever saw. It was a slant 4, the head on the 4 cylinder would fit the V8, all the same parts. As you would guess, the displacement on the 4 cylinder was exactly half of the V8. I know they had a 345 V8 also.

98 and later Landbruiser, Landcrusher as we all call them at work. First year for the 4.7 V8, do you have the factory front and rear lockers?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.