Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / theOUTlet - Double your outlets in a single gang box
eforti
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 21:06 - Edited by: eforti

Hello All,
I hope this is ok to post here as this forum was recommended to me from another based on the content I'd like to share.

I've recently launched a product on Kickstarter called theOUTlet that doubles or triples your outlets and fits into a single gang box. Being that this forum is all about smaller cabins it seems like this could be very handy for many of you.

Here's an image of the product:

If you're interested in checking it out in more detail I would love for you to visit the Kickstarter campaign page here: http://bit.ly/theOUTlet. And of course if you like the product please help us reach our funding goal by backing our project.

Regards,
Eric Forti

Smawgunner
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 21:38

Pretty cool!

eforti
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 21:40

Thank you Smawgunner!

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 21:47

Although I'm no fan-of-spam I am giving you points for:

Politeness. You asked permission to post.

Honesty. You supplied background information which appears authentic. You make no secret about fund raising. Your LinkedIn page appears valid.

Location. West Palm Beach/Boca, eh? I could actually check up on you from my winter digs if I so chose.

Product. I've seen this before so I will assume you're no fly-by-night operator. Jarden Product Solutions does ring a bell with me.

eforti
# Posted: 2 Feb 2016 21:54

bobrok,
Thank you for the feedback

Apologies if my post in any way comes across as spam. I am a real person looking for real feedback and support. The design does seem to lend itself toward small spaces so it felt like it was worth sharing in this forum.

You're right that my LinkedIn profile is authentic. The company name isn't always familiar to people but it's brands are! That's my day job and this product launch is actually a startup company I just created with a partner. We're giving it a go ourselves!

Regards,
Eric Forti

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 00:57

That's really neat! I love the USB slot on the last example!

eforti
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 07:29

Thank you for the feedback (and hopefully support) Julie2Oregon!

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 08:39

Has this product been tested and listed by Underwriters Labs or other approved agency?

eforti
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 09:35

Hello bldginsp,
UL listing can't be achieved until you're in production in small quantities. So no it hasn't been tested yet. We're raising funds on Kickstarter to get into production and have budgeted for cULus testing so that we're certified in the U.S. and Canada. We won't ship without their blessing!

Regards,
Eric Forti

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 09:37 - Edited by: MtnDon

The UL is built into the Kickstarter fundraising. The UL approval should be a mere formality if their engineers are any good at all. It simply costs $10-12K for the testing and resulting approval. UL itself is not magic, it is a check up.

eforti
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 09:39

MtnDon,
You are absolutely right (and our engineers are great!). We've budgeted for $15K because there are a few extra tests required to get the Canadian certification as well.

Regards,
Eric Forti

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 10:22

That is neat, its biggest advantage would be after the finish work is done and you need more outlets, assuming circuit can handle it. Its amazing how something simple like this took till now before someone came up with the idea. I love the entrepreneurial spirit we have. Nice work, hope it takes off for you.

eforti
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 14:21

toyota_mdt_tech,
Thank you for the kind words and the wishes of good luck!

Regards,
Eric Forti

adakseabee
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 01:12

Eric, have your engineers factored the hot, neutral, and ground wires flexing up to some specified limit without failure as the unit gets opened and closed over time? Or, have they been able to mitigate this so the wires do not flex to the point of failure, i.e., by a "bridge" of super flexible wire connecting the "house" wiring to the back of the quad receptacle unit? Or do they even consider this to be a problem?

eforti
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 11:49

Hello adakseabee,
Flexing is definitely an issue we've spent a lot of time addressing. The wires coming from the wall box are stationary and will never flex once installed to the sub-housing. The internal guts of our design avoid flexing wires entirely. We're seeing if we can get some IP around the design we've come up with so we can't show the internals just yet. To answer your question directly, yes we see flexing wires as an issue and we've addressed it with our design! FYI our testing parameters include cycling tens of thousands of times to ensure durability and reliability.

adakseabee
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 13:13

Thanks, Eric, it appears that you do have good engineers behind this product.

Jebediah
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 18:30

I would imagine the developers who designed this model had the same wire flexing issue.
whitepopoutweb.jp.jpg
whitepopoutweb.jp.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.