Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Exciting news from MIT regarding doubling of battery efficiency.
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 09:07

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-08 17

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 23:37

Thanks for this Ontario, I like to see this kind of news, but at the same time I have to say that my eyes glaze over when I hear about the latest 'breakthrough', just because there have been so many promises in the past that didn't pan out. But maybe this one really is a game changer- Nissan Leafs that go 200 miles, Teslas that go 500, and maybe less expensive off-grid batteries that last a long time and don't need to be pampered. We'll see.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 23:48

I hear ya! But MIT is a pretty reliable source, lets hope they can make it work in the real world soon!

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Aug 2016 00:08

...not holding my breath.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Aug 2016 16:53 - Edited by: creeky

while we're flitting about with vapour ware ...

don't forget the great Canadians!

https://electrek.co/2016/08/17/tesla-battery-research-partner-jeff-dahn-cells-longer- range-life-cycle/

a group at Dalhousie University signed a new deal with Tesla this June. Looks like higher voltage lithium cells are coming.

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Aug 2016 18:07

Not sure I want to sit on 1000 volts.... But there's no danger of me being able to afford a Tesla.

creeky
# Posted: 25 Aug 2016 12:16

of course we sit on an even bigger bomb of toxic material every time we get in a car / truck.

it is nice to see all the threads of innovation tho. some vapour ware. some incorporated into products almost before they come out in science journals.

i'm really looking forward to what Tesla has to say this fall about their new batteries. they're playing their cards quite close to their chests. should be good.

gigafactory!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Aug 2016 23:35

After just having to replace my water pump, my knuckles are telling me to go electric!

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Aug 2016 09:23

$1000 on a !@#$%^&* transmission. There's gonna be a lot of unemployed auto mechanics in the future.

Steve_S
# Posted: 26 Aug 2016 11:37

It's ironic that 90% + of the research done remains vapourware for any number of reasons, some good and some not so good. We see New, Exciting & Wonderful discoveries almost weekly yet what appears in the real world... not much and if it does, it's outrageously priced at the maximum of "what the market can bear".

Just from the past couple of days, does anyone think any of these will hit market ? I think if a Government or Governments got together and chucked 500 million into a X-Prize type competition to get new Energy Storage systems developed & to market, the whole Research Industry would get right on it. They do it for Space, Automobiles and other innovation pushes... But I suppose that goes against their current entrenched energy groups.

If I was a Big Energy Co (oil, gas whatever) I'd put 10% profits generated by that source into R&D into Energy Generation & Energy Storage and try to get a major lead on the market, ahead of other competitors ands try to corner a good share of the market. Future proofing and protecting the long term for the investors & shareholders... why fight the inevitable, better to lead than to be forced to follow.

An effective and low-cost solution for storing solar energy

BTW: Pet Peeve... Have any of you seen these great "kits & deals" which are cheap as borsht in Africa or Middle East, yet when you try to find it locally it's 100x the price of what it is in Africa ? One product I looked at and was very interested in was like $75 in Africa but the Canadian Co that sells it there, sells it here for $300... 200 is to subsidize the costs for them over there... and the stupid thing costs <$20 to make in CHINA... scammed on every side. The whole "price to what the market will bear" thing is really really getting me ticked off... Geography dictates how much you can scam folks for ? Hmmmm new world order & global trade eh...

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Aug 2016 14:10

Quoting: Steve_S
Have any of you seen these great "kits & deals" which are cheap as borsht in Africa or Middle East, yet when you try to find it locally it's 100x the price of what it is in Africa ?

No. have a link example?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.