Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Greywater Treatment Systems
rockies
# Posted: 16 Jan 2017 19:50

This was mentioned on a Tiny house program. What do you use for grey water treatment?

http://waterwisegroup.com/greywater-systems-sale/

creeky
# Posted: 16 Jan 2017 20:36

Did you see the price on those. Yikes. For woven plastic.

I use a straw bale. Cost is 3 dollars. Lasts two to three years. And the best part. You can use the leftovers as mulch for the garden.

rockies
# Posted: 17 Jan 2017 19:54

Do you plumb everything through it - sinks, shower, laundry?

This device doesn't recommend putting the kitchen sink waste through it. As a lot of people on here are probably using a composting toilet the kitchen sink water would probably be the most dirty.

creeky
# Posted: 18 Jan 2017 12:59

Yes. i plumb everything through straw. I have two. One for the washroom. I use this water for my gardens and toilet flushing.

The other just for the kitchen. It filters the kitchen waste. And the straw acts as a reactant with the gunk to compost.

as with the 5 gallon bucket/humanure: introduce carbon to help bacteria digest the waste.

I've been using straw for 6 years. I have had no problem with critters. No odour. And I change the straw annually. Usually in the spring if I remember.

One tip is to keep lots of oxygen available. For the kitchen I have tried bokashi. Didn't make much difference. the straw digests faster. Bokashi makes a huge difference for my bucket and composting toilets. Just made a new batch in fact.

rockies
# Posted: 18 Jan 2017 19:34

Perhaps you could make up a drawing showing how you built the system and where it's located in relation to the cabin?

You mention "toilet flushing" but then also say "bucket with "humanure". Do you have a composting toilet or have rigged up something that is a combination of regular toilet and bucket catchment?

Eddy G
# Posted: 19 Jan 2017 13:29

+1 on the drawing request.....
When we bought our cabin there were many drains running from under the cabin out to an open pit (It looked as if there was a wooden cover over it at one time but it was all caved in)
There where pipes of many sizes and types, copper, PVC, 3/4" to 1 1/4" running from a kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, washing machine.....
There was a chemical toilet run with 3" Copper in the opposite direction....THATS BEEN REMOVED and a story for another day!
We now have a composting toilet.
Anyway, we ripped all that out..
I ran a 3" main drain line under the cabin and to the pit...
I tied the shower, bathroom sink and washing machine in to that 3" main with 1 1/2" (all PVC)
I ran a 3/4" pvc line from the composting toilet (for urine) to the pit.
I ran a completely separate 1 1/2" line from the kitchen sink to the pit..
All has been vented (non of the old plumbing was vented)

All this said....It's just an open pit full of rocks, sticks, and nature.....I don't know how deep it really goes , I'm guessing not very deep at all (it is on the side of a hill).....

Could I just cover the pit with straw and replace it every year?
Would that be okay?

I have read different opinions on the urine in the gray water.
We don't re-use the gray water so I believe it isn't doing any harm.

project_north
# Posted: 19 Jan 2017 14:37

My greywater system was virtually free but a lot of work.

Soil percolation test and local authority helped me to determine:

Dug a trench 6m long 1.5m wide x 1.5m deep. Waste pipe to a barrel at centre of trench filled with small diameter rocks and punched with holes. The larger trench is filled with larger rocks, covered with landscape fabric, soil and planted with grass to avoid erosion. Heavy patio stone over access to barrel at centre.

Seems to work very well I've had no problems.

Human waste is handled by nearby bushes and an outhouse.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jan 2017 21:55 - Edited by: creeky

First. I'm one guy f/t and a girlfriend p/t. For system 1 I use a 1/3 straw bale as a filter for grey water. One washing machine, one sink, one shower.

The grey water goes through the straw into a barrel. I use this water for plants and flushing an envirolet toilet. The remaining water (most of it) goes to a perforated pipe where it flows into bushes. There has never been any smell come from this area. It is a tree line.

The second system, in my kitchen: one sink, one dishwasher. The water goes to the straw, is filtered then runs to a short piece of perf pipe. Which distributes the water to a large maple tree. I've never seen any sign of excess moisture. Maples are thirsty I guess. I, and guests, have walked by this area daily. No one has ever noticed...

As for shower water, with its, um, additions, the straw will help with that.

Oh. Yes, I have two facilities. One is the envirolet. Which is a plastic clivus muldrum. I would build my own if I was doing it again. The second. In the winter I keep a composting bucket toilet in the winter bedroom. I use bokashi mixed in with the pine horse bedding for topping. It is 100% girlfriend approved. No smell at all.

Traveling. So hope this fine art work will do. Best to all.
artflow_201701192142.jpg
artflow_201701192142.jpg

rockies
# Posted: 20 Jan 2017 20:25

Heh heh heh Creeky.

I remember a phrase that I read once in an old school book: "Every now and then when Helen was alive....." Our teacher pointed it out because it was an unintended grammatical mistake. It makes the reader think "Helen was only alive now and then".

I thought of it when I read your sentence: "I'm one guy f/t and a girlfriend p/t". I'm sure that doubles your chances for a date Saturday night.

Heh heh heh

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.