Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / The Best Tools for Your Prepper Tool Box
rockies
# Posted: 14 Nov 2017 19:01 - Edited by: rockies

Tools for off grid living.

https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/tools-shtf-plan/

Two products I didn't know existed but think are well worth it are:

Gasoline generator conversion kit:

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Pressurized Water Fire Extinguisher:

http://www.kidde.com/fire-safety/en/ca/products/badger-fire-extinguishers/24231/

Cowracer
# Posted: 15 Nov 2017 10:45

I had 2 or 3 of those pressurized fire extinguishers when I was racing Dirt Track. They worked awesome for spraying on the radiator to cool the engine down after a race. Hell, I might still have one out in the shed.

And if someone wanted to get cheeky and start a water fight with water balloons or a hose, well... it worked great for that, too.

Tim

Steve_S
# Posted: 15 Nov 2017 13:15

Propane generators... OK BUT in a SHTF situation propane is moot, and only works if you have it on your property and till it lasts... then what ? It is a Petroleum Refining By-Product and depends on that industry being functional and producing and whatever cost they have attached to it. As a Temp Backup that is ready & available as a standby it's great.

Now an LPG / Biogas generator which could use Biogas generated from your waste has longer term functionality BUT what about Motor Oil (Natural or synthetic) what are you gonna do... again a limited tech.

Solar : The Sun remains, as long it does we can use it, if it fails, we won't be talking about anything will we. So Solar Power wins.

Wind Power, the winds blow and that spins the blade, functional BUT it is electro-mechanical and as such has potential to fail & need parts... so a part win as it could be limited for a period. They do have an MTBF & MTTR.

rockies
# Posted: 15 Nov 2017 18:29

I think the idea behind the generator conversion kit is to provide people with options. I read through the information provided on their webpage and the points they made about long term gasoline storage and how gasoline could eventually gum-up the engine were practical advice.

If you have a generator and it only runs on one fuel adapting it to run on three different kinds of fuel is an advantage. And yes, in the worst case scenario you will eventually run out of natural gas or propane but propane is certainly easier to store long term than gasoline. An extra 100 lb propane tank stored out in the barn would certainly help get you through the worst of it should society collapse, giving you more time to transition onto the solar.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.