Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Circular Window Casings
rockies
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 19:45

I'm installing a couple of round porthole windows in my cabin and the subject came up of how to case the windows. I didn't want to cobble together a bunch of short pieces of wood and then router them into a circle (too many joints for water to get into).

I just found this article which suggested using a 4x8 sheet of cellular PVC and cutting out the casings in one piece.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2010/11/11/making-a-beaded-circular-casing

Anyone else planning on installing a round (or arched) window?

Princelake
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 20:36

I've always cut a pile of casing into small pieces with an angle on it. Nailed them all on putty them and sanded the edges smooth to appear round. You then have the matching casing with the rest of the place

rockies
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 20:57

Yes, but you still have a lot of joints, which can be problematic for exterior applications. PVC also has the advantage of not being wood, so no swelling, warping or rot issues. For a molding that isn't just flat stock you could set your router to try and match existing interior trim details but your exterior trim would probably be flat.

Borrego
# Posted: 18 Apr 2018 21:53

I usually use plywood and cut it to fit......Yes it is wood, but can use a select grade and caulk/seal/paint

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.