Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Lime Plaster Over Drywall
rockies
# Posted: 17 Sep 2018 18:28

This looks like a nice finish if you decide to use drywall on your cabin interior.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018/09/12/lime-plaster-installation-drywall?source= w20001en&tp=i-H43-BC-AYW-WOmP7-1o-7GWL-1c-WOs4x-1aUx78&sourcekey=w20001en&utm_campaig n=fine-homebuilding-eletter&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fhb_ele tter&cid=40580&mid=478748693

Cowracer
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 08:59

well, they lost my interest when they said:

For builders or homeowners who are concerned about the environmental and social impacts of the materials used in their homes

Holy Cripes... Can't we just build a building anymore without someone throwing shade because we didn't use organic, sustainable, responsibly sourced, free-range recycled wood?

Besides, that finish is ugly as homemade soap.

Tim

creeky
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 10:01

running to get Cowracer a cuppa coffee ...

"budget-conscious wall finish"

was a pretty important part of the headline. nice thing about these lime/clay et al plasters. They are cheap. You may find the materials on your own property. Certainly I have lots of clay.

and the benefit of environmentally friendly is often that they are also human life friendly. Breathability = less mold = healthier lungs.

beauty being in the eye of the beholder. this one firmly holding his morning eye opener in his hand.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 12:47

I, personally, love the look of lime plaster. It has a much more organic/textured/soft look. I like the imperfections that come with it.

That said, if I was going that route, I wouldn't be applying it to drywall (gypsum board). It would be in an effort to eliminate drywall entirely.

Cowracer
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 16:33 - Edited by: Cowracer

Quoting: creeky
running to get Cowracer a cuppa coffee ...

Make sure its organic, sustainable, pesticide free, ethically grown coffee. LOL

As a 'budget' material, I am sure it has few equals. But they didn't lead off with "budget". They lead off with the environmental and social impacts.

Environmentally, I think putting this over drywall is HUGELY wasteful. Gypsum for the drywall must be mined, and I have yet to see any mining activity that make Greenpeace jump for joy (I'm in the mining industry, BTW). The fossil fuels necessary to extract the gypsum (either in mobile equipment, or to generate electricity) must be considered. Then the limestone must be calcined (heated) to over 300 degrees F. That is usually done with natural gas, another carbon unfriendly fossil fuel, and then the power for the plan that ultimately makes the drywall boards is not insignificant.

It seems to me that the most eco-friendly way was the old school plaster over lath, using cheap, renewable wood.

And after all that, I still think it looks terrible (personal preference)

Tim

ICC
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 17:43

Quoting: Cowracer
It seems to me that the most eco-friendly way was the old school plaster over lath, using cheap, renewable wood.

But that is very labor intensive. You can't build affordable houses and use real old-fashioned plaster walls on wood lath.

That said I like the old plaster on lath walls. I also like the clay plasters such as those made by a NM company, American Clay. They sell color powders to add. It can look very nice. Does require more skill and I would say is out of the area of something for a DIY project. A skilled plaster applicator makes the job look easy. It is not; I have tried.

These days they use the blue skinned drywall you may have seen in the home supply stores, when a plaster finish wall is to be done. They use more of a skim coat. It is more resistant to the amount of moisture present when doing plaster. Naturally it is called blueboard.

FYI, real old plastered walls used split lath, not sawn. Splitting gave more strength to the lath than is possible with sawn lath. That makes it even more labor intensive.

As for environmentally friendly---what's wrong with that?

rockies
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 20:24

Further info.

http://thesustainablehome.net/category/natural_building_techniques/natural_plasters/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.