Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Certainteed Icon Composite Siding
rockies
# Posted: 6 Oct 2018 18:46

I was going to use Hardie Cement siding on my cabin but now I see this. Anyone used CertainTeed Icon?

https://www.certainteed.com/icon/

This section discusses the water absorption amounts of different brands of composite siding.

https://www.certainteed.com/icon-superior-durability/

NorthRick
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 15:01

That stuff looks real similar to Boral's Truexterior siding. Made from fly ash.

Nate R
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 19:27

The only "catch" is their comparison is a little unfair....they soaked LP and Hardi with UNPAINTED edges. Not that the Icon would absorb water necessarily, but I wonder how much better it really is vs the competition, when installed correctly. I'm guessing the cost difference for plastic/foam siding is more substantial than the benefit......

ICC
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 21:35

I didn't see any obvious info on its fire rating.

And unless you get hit by a flood your Hardie or other siding is not going to be sitting in water.

NorthRick
# Posted: 9 Oct 2018 11:53

The Truexterior siding has a Wildland Urban Interface listing. Whatever that really means.

rockies
# Posted: 9 Oct 2018 18:11

Yes, in reading through the installation instructions I noticed that the product will burn which, for me, doesn't make it suitable for a cabin out in the wilderness. Oh well, back to cement.

Great Outdoors
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:53

Boral makes some very nice stuff and it can be used for ground contact. I am using it for the trim on my camp. It is very pricey though.

ICC
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 23:19

Quoting: rockies
Yes, in reading through the installation instructions I noticed that the product will burn which, for me, doesn't make it suitable for a cabin out in the wilderness.

That's what I was afraid of when I didn't see any claims about fire along with all the other good stuff they claim. That cuts off huge market chunks here in the west.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.