Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Load Handler Hand Crank Cargo Mat for Pickup Trucks
rockies
# Posted: 27 Nov 2018 22:13

Hey, how about using this the next time you have a load of gravel, firewood or debris to unload?

http://www.loadhandler.com/

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:40

Look at this guy struggle with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIDX0G5H_Y

rockies
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 19:20

Hmm. Maybe it was installed incorrectly, could be a defective part, or maybe he doesn't have much upper body strength? This guy did a review of it and seems to have less trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSLLb4Q8gsw

Personally, I wouldn't be using one every day for heavy construction work, but if I'm bringing up an occasional load of gravel or want to move firewood or debris I'd rather unload it this way than shoveling it all out by hand.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 20:41 - Edited by: ICC

Think about what you are doing when using one of those. You are moving, actually dragging, the entire load weight on a tarp when you start cranking. It will become easier as the load is dumped.

You would need a very long handle on the crank mechanism to move a couple thousand pounds, or a gear reduction assembly. It does not seem very useful for most of the materials I have moved in a truck or trailer bed; river stone, gravel sand mix for concrete, dirt, etc. Dirt and gravel/sand mix can be very heavy when wet. Get a shovel and some exercise, I say.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 20:47

The guy having a hard time is also at a slight disadvantage with the side clearance limiting how he has to stand to crank. But the guy having the easier offload make also have a lighter load. I have hills of pumice around the property; rock that is full of air. Some of it will float.

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 21:06

I see a difference in those two videos. I had a F250 4x4 with a plastic (not spray in) bed liner and found out the hard way that bed liner is slicker than ice. The guy in the easy video has the same slick as ice liner, the guy in the tough video appears to have no bed liner, just painted bed. And if that painted bed was years old and roughed up, that might make it even harder.

slgerber
# Posted: 28 Nov 2018 22:53 - Edited by: slgerber

We have one of these conveyors at my landscaping job. We use it on a small pickup truck to unload mulch, firewood, gravel, dirt, plant debris, large balled and burlap trees, etc. Having a plastic bed liner is key so that you minimize friction between the conveyor tarp and the truck bed. One problem we do have sometimes is that if we load the little pickup to heavily the springs will compress enough that the crank handle will hit the ground instead of rotating all the way around.

By the way, if you need to cut the woven synthetic conveyor belt to size, take a little extra time and carefully melt the cut edges with a hot air gun otherwise they will quickly start to fray.

NorthRick
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 15:04

Quoting: rockies
Personally, I wouldn't be using one every day for heavy construction work, but if I'm bringing up an occasional load of gravel or want to move firewood or debris I'd rather unload it this way than shoveling it all out by hand.

I betcha in the time it takes you to install the thing, crank out the load onto the ground, and uninstalled it, I'd have finished with a shovel and would be drinking a beer.

I've hauled about 5 cubic yards of gravel/sand out to our remote property with a snowmachine. Shoveling it out of the bed of the truck was one of the easier steps. Watching the front end loader putting it in the bed was the easiest.

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 22:54

Put a tarp in the truck bed, load gravel in truck bed, go to site, tie ropes between tarp and tree, drive truck forward, gravel unloaded.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.