Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / A Foot Grill For the Entryway
rockies
# Posted: 24 Jan 2019 21:57

I've been wondering what to do for the entryway floor? It can't be wood because mud and snow/water will wreck it pretty fast. Then I thought of porcelain tile, or maybe a stone like slate. Both wind up with puddles. Finally I saw a project on a TV design show where the homeowner installed a commercial style foot grill.

http://bolar.com/en/categorie-produit/uni-directional/

I'm going to install the grill inside the front door (about 3' deep and 8' wide) with a pan underneath to collect water (I can put a drain in the pan to let the water run out rather than evaporate). Now wet footwear can sit anywhere on the floor and no puddles.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 25 Jan 2019 15:42

Make sure you have access to occasionally clean out the mud/rocks/debris.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 25 Jan 2019 16:45

Brilliant idea! Should be standard design in all rural homes and cabins.

A cheap alternative:

In the city I found that sand always tracked in from the attached garage. Kick off the shoes and the sand on the floor cane in on our stocking feet. What I bought were those interlocking plastic tiles. The sand now falls through them and they’ve really improved our little problem.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 25 Jan 2019 18:38 - Edited by: ColdFlame

I've wanted something similar for ages, though I was going to go slightly different and do an outside one that would allow things to drain/drop through under the deck. But this is very elegant! Nice find.

FishHog
# Posted: 26 Jan 2019 09:40

I put a 4’x4’ piece of 1 1/2” deep steel grate at my door. Outside. If you pause and stomp your feet it takes care of most of the loose stuff. Pine needles are my biggest problem

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Jan 2019 13:37

I put this on my porch
203046z1.jpg
203046z1.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.