Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Happy 4th and remembering the "good ol days"
trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 12:42

Happy 4th of July ya'll!! Hope everyone has a fun and relaxing day and comes back later to post with all their fingers intact

Talk about Andy Griffith passing away and Mayberry and Aunt Bee and Opie makes me think of the "good ol days" and how different life was then. Anybody care to recall their fine memories of when they were a kid and life was a simpler slower pace??

Oh and remember how when we were kids back around "the good ol days" when we talked about the past it was referred to as the "olden days"???

What would we refer to the 6o's and 70's as???

One more question...does anybody recall what state Mayberry was in?

bobrok
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 12:49

North Carolina. Mayberry was fictional town modeled after Mt Airy, NC, the birthplace of Andy Griffith.
I always remember Andy having to run up to Raleigh, the state capitol.

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 15:26

Quoting: trollbridge
What would we refer to the 6o's and 70's as???

The lost old days

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 19:28

There ya go Borrego

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 22:24 - Edited by: trollbridge

I remember sitting in the back of our station wagon drinking kool-aid out of an avocado green thermos watching the fireworks and my dad mumbling under his breath at all the cars trying to "cut" in line afterwards when it ended.

I also remember many summer evenings going to the drive-in movies back in Kansas in that same station wagon.

Martian
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 23:01

I remember the homemade icecream we had every 4th when I was a kid. There would be lots of aunts and uncles and cousins sitting around talking and eating barbeque while listening to the sound of the old electric urn groaning as the mixture hardened. My mom had her "special" recipe made with fresh eggs, raw milk and cream, sugar, and real vanilla combined in ratios that only she could get just right. The best treat was to get the paddle from the urn to lick clean. No way to keep the icecream from dripping on you; so you'd get hosed off by the other kids.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 11:05

Martian...now I know where your love of vanilla ice cream comes from! Good memory! Hope you've been enjoying a nightly bowl while sitting on your porch and trying to stay cool

I would love to get and ice cream maker for the cabin...

Bevis
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:29

For us poor folks...we would gill hamburgers and hot dogs, have a watermelon. then at night watch the firework display from our backyard...as we lived about a mile (as the crow flies) from the lake they shot them from.

Seto
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:40

I remember my father and uncle smuggling a van full of fireworks in from another state and setting enough off to make a bigger display than any local town did. my father told me the family motto that day "its only illegal if we get caught", the 3 gallons of homemade booze they drank made the night even more memorable.

exsailor
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 14:22

I grew up in a small town in Indiana. It wasn't until I left to go to the big city, and tech school that I found out how special my life had been growing up. There was always a parade and carnival, with fireworks on the fourth of July. You could set out on the car hood or fenders watch the men with their flares lighting the mortars. I was close enough, about a hundred yards, to here and feel the mortars going off. The same with the Arial burst light sound and an occasional percussion. You got to enjoy the fireworks with all your senses. I found it incredible there wasn't a carnival on the forth, and to have to watch fireworks from so far you couldn't tell which boom belonged to what blossom still bothers me! Seems like shallow thinking after serving our country, and reading the Declaration of independence as part of my current Independence Day celebrations.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.