Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Way "off topic" but really???
trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 19:06 - Edited by: trollbridge

As many of you may know I am pregnant...28 weeks pregnant...and prone to an occasional bout or two(hormones remember) of irrational thinking

Having been through a few pregnancies over the decades- okay 3 decades, I have learned to accept all the many ways "times have changed".

A few things though are really getting me annoyed, the first one being names. I would like for this baby to have a suitable name but seems we are hitting a road block in this department. In the past we have always consulted a paperback baby name book full of names, variations and their meanings. Apparently nowadays new parents turn to internet baby names sites because I can't find a book anywhere in the stores AND not even our public library had a single one on their shelves! I can't scroll through 2000 boy or girl names all beginning with the letter A just for starters!!!! How do people do that?? I can't even pronounce 3/4 of them! Seriously.

Did you know pregnancy is now referred to as 10 months long???? Whaaat???

And I do realize with advancements in technology apparently most expecting parents now know the sex of their baby long before he/she is born. That explains why gender neutral items are so clearly lacking on store shelves! I thought I could cleverly get around this by simply making my own blankets, burp clothes and bibs with fabrics bought from a fabric store...WRONG!!! Same thing...either pink "princess" or blue "sports". If ya want neutral about the only choice is....yellow duckys. Ugh! And I promise you I am not one of those freaks who want to raise their child never telling anyone what sex their baby is-you know... so as not to have it influenced by society norms.

And one last thing I have noticed...each week I read what is happening with the baby-you know what is maturing or developing the most during that week. Kinda cool I think. This week I went to read and had to laugh......what in the world is a Chinese Cabbage? Had to look that up but that is what the baby was compared to this week! About 2 1/4 pounds and 15 inches long...I guess the younger generations have trouble picturing what that means in their heads cause each week the baby is referred to as some fruit or vegetable! Last week it was a head of cauliflower and next week it is a butternut squash! Whatever I guess. I remember when the baby was compared to a poppy seed, a blueberry, a kumquat, and will soon be compared to a pineapple, a leek and finally a pumpkin. I'm just glad they don't mention those giant squashes I see so frequently at this time of year...you know the ones the farmers grow to take to the state fair to try and win a blue ribbon? Whew!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 19:16

As my daughter would say: OMG!
News like this is why I need to buy a new computer. Seriously.
What do the children and grandchildren think?
We must think of a way to have a baby shower!!!!! Wouldn't that be COOL? And a thread for name ideas.....
I hope to check in again soon. A long distance hug and a few tears from me.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 19:48

TB- That was a hormone rant if I ever did see one!... and we dont even have any girls in our house for me to compare to...LOL

VTweekender
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 19:57

pickles, ice cream and chocolate cravings went out the window too!.....

now its french fries, tacos and iced coffee!!!!

sparky1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 21:46

1. Congratulations;
2. I wish you & family the very best,& in Health too.
3. I have No children or Family so Naming a child, I would want to Name the Child from a past Relative, I Admired, but something the child could pronounce,& NOT be imbarrased with, growing .Initials can end up a imbarrassment as well.
like you said;some you couldn't pronounce.
sparky1 in s.Va.

tnky03
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 21:55

Congrats, TB! I wish you all the best as you prepare for this most blessed event.

TomChum
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 22:08 - Edited by: TomChum

Congratulations! I'm envious (due to selective memory). My girls are getting too big, I wish we had another...

Martian
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 08:49

I am so glad your biggest concern is what to name this child.

Tom

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 08:58

Congratulations TB here is something for you to think about. Yahoo had a thread for children names. They compared year to year and the teaser was the name that was still popular after I believe a decade or so. It was William. Here is the link
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/most-popular-baby-names-2011-vs-1911-william-163 322452.html have fun.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 12:48 - Edited by: hattie

For fetal development, my daughter used to use this site: http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/

As for names, with all the very strange names coming out now ("Apple" - really?), why not try to look for old fashioned names? Maybe go through your family tree (look at middle names as well) and choose something from there. It would be great to be able to tell your child they were named after someone from the family. Depending on last names in your family tree, some people use them as first or middle names as well. My grandson has my Dad's first name and my husband's (daughter's step-Dad) middle name. That boy is destined for greatness with the names he has.

Best of luck with your pregnancy. Make sure you keep us posted on your progress.

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 21:25

Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes. I was just expressing a few observations I have made this time around-it really wasn't a rant and if it came off that way I didn't mean it to.

The struggle we are having with names has more to do with the fact that we have 9 children-so that is 18 names between first and middle. All of our children have middle names that either honor a relative or an admired person or have special meaning to us and I want number 10 to have an equally special name. By the way exsailor...one of our sons middle names is William after my father in law. Good name indeed!

To answer ErinsMom I would be lying if I said all of our children were thrilled. The college age on down were happy. The "older" kids had issues. One of our daughters and her husband are struggling to get pregnant so understandably that was really hard and a lot of tears have been shed together.

Even though this baby is not what we had planned at this stage of our lives and we have had many worries and concerns we are pleased that so far everything is going well. A healthy baby is the outcome we are striving for...nothing else really matters. I think being "older" we are more wise to all the things that can go wrong-finding humor in some of the changes I've noticed over the years is just my way of distracting myself. I feel so blessed to be this babies mom.

God bless you all.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 08:01

omg.i would kill myself.ha ha ha...
i am loving my old body aches and pains and all.mostly i am glad to have my body to myself.of course we have only now got our almost 32 yr old child off and out of the home.it took an act of congress too.heehee.
wow.congratulations gal.good luck.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 17:26

Thanks cabi!
Quoting: cabingal3
omg.i would kill myself.ha ha ha...

Come on now...........why do that?? LOL! Think of the fun you could have

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 20:30

gf.i will leave all that fun to my grown kids.we have a grandbaby coming in dec.thats more than enough fun for this old gal.its a girl and i have been knitting,crocheting clothes for the little sweet one.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Sep 2012 16:20

Congratulations Cabi! How many grandchildren will that make for you? We have a grandchild due to arrive about 12 weeks after our baby is due. I'm thinking it will be fun watching them all play and grow up together!

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Sep 2012 15:10

it will gal.u enjoy.we wil have 8 grandkids come dec.one more on its way.a girl.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Sep 2012 22:22

So cool cabi! That will be a great Christmas gift for you and Gary!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 20:45

Just found out this week we will be grandparents a 5th time come this June!!! YIPPEE...my daughter and son in law who were trying so hard are pregnant!!!! I am so happy for them....aaaaaaaand...........................I finally got a baby name book that I had on hold from another cities library. It is okay...still a lot of names that are from around the world but I am hopeful some progress can be made! Time is going so fast...only 8 more weeks till my due date!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 16:52 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: trollbridge
.I finally got a baby name book

Ha! There...after a week and a half with a baby name book in our hands we have figured out names for a boy and a girl that have special meaning to both of us!!!

And btw...for anybody that is reading this thread-that has been locked into the "Off Topic" vault for who knows what reason...must be because a woman started it, like the other threads locked into the vault (Hattie, Cabi, ErinsMom, me...I see a pattern there) anyways...just sayin...........the baby this week is compared to a jicama-I'm sure learning a lot about vegetables during this pregnancy!

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 10:39

Today being Halloween I feel like I swallowed a pumpkin, but at 35 weeks it compares the weight of the baby to a Honeydew melon! next week a crenshaw melon....whatever that is!

stpauligirl
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 22:46

You are an amazing woman trollbridge! I had my first baby 30 years ago when I was 21. My husband was 19! I'm still married to the guy and my baby has made me a grandmother.

congratulations and best wishes! I'm pulling for you!

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 10:12

Hi and welcome stpauligirl-I have to ask...are you from St. Paul, Mn???

Thank you for the kind words and I bet you are loving being a grandma. It is so cool! Your story is similar to mine. My husband and I were married at 18 and 19 years old and a tad over a month later I was pregnant with our first child. That was 1983-LOL! This baby will be born shortly before I turn 49. We have 3 grandchildren and the next is due 12 weeks after our baby and a 5th due 6 months later. I never would have dreamed life would play out this way but wouldn't change it for anything!!! I will say I have breezed through this pregnancy like all the others thankfully...I am getting nervous about labor and the delivery, I pray the baby will be healthy, I enjoy being pregnant and part of me will be sad to have it end and being a parent again keeps me feeling young

I hope you stick around this forum-more women are needed Do you have a cabin or a special getaway place that you are able to escape to? Hope so-share if you do-oh and we all love pictures!!

stpauligirl
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 23:41

Thanks for that warm welcome! Yup, I'm from St. Paul, MN. Starting to get cold up here already. Each year, winter seems a little harder...

No cabin for me. I just look at the pictures and dream a few dreams! We have a small travel trailer and are lucky to spend some time in our great state parks each summer.

Good luck with labor and delivery. I think it's like riding a bike. You'll do great!

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 17:30

You are only about an hour from us. Both my husband and I graduated from HS in the cities-him Hopkins/Lindberg and me Wayzata.

Yep, it is getting cold isn't it and now dark early too...winter is on it's way!

It's fun to dream but I'm glad you have a travel trailer too. Mn and Wi have some great state parks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.