Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / To some of you retired what makes up your day?
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 15:20

I have a ways to go before I will retire but it is on my mind from time to time. Do some work part time or just do your thing. I will not just be able to sit and don't know if my hobbies could keep me busy. I really don't want to make my fun things I do a job. I have many passions but after a while they may not be a passion anymore. How do you manage your time and live after work of a fast pace life?

evrmc1
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 18:35

I work a little and if I dont have work I am happy. I game a little on the PC, ride my scooter and do things like that

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 20:00

Hobby passions change over time. I've been through a few of them. I'm not fully retired and don't plan on being fully retired anytime soon. Partly it's that the small income is handy, but mostly it's because we derive satisfaction from our work. We get to meet and interact with people we would not if we were retired fully.

We are lucky too in that work is only mid August thru memorial Day, the public school calendar. And when we do work it's only Tues thru Friday, 9 to noon.

neb
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 20:15

MtnDon
I believe you are right that passions come and go and not sure why but it could be becuase we get bored with having done it and want to move on to new challanges. It sounds like you have a great part time job with great hours. I would have to do something I know that for sure. I would drive myself crazy not having a place to go each day. Health is a big thing and hope I have it when I can retire.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 23:38

We are semi-retired and run a small motel on our property so that keeps us busy in the late spring, summer and early fall. Winter through early spring is pretty quiet so we each have our hobbies to keep busy. No matter where you live or how busy you are, you will experience boredom sometimes. When I'm really bored I watch tv or go googling on the internet.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 08:00

I retired from a big paying job. Now I work almost full time just to make enough to make the difference from SS to pay bills. STUPID!
The relative that bought my bus. screwed me out of payments and now I have to go back to work. I could sue , but that probably just wreck the family, and still may not put money in my pocket. I can go back in bus. and be his competion, and that's what I'll do in the spring. Maybe.

Owen

clearwater
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 05:56

I'm happily semi-retired, and don't plan to retire at all ,pretty much in the same situation as MtnDon- I only work three hours a day for four days per week, and then it's only during school terms, which is 40 weeks per year. On this, with the aid of solar power and a thriving vegetable garden ( and a climate which permits 12 months growing conditions) I can live comfortably for 12 months per year.

dammitdog
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 10:43

Not retired really but I've been laid off for almost 5 years. My particular industry isn't recovering, I'm not qualified for anything better and anything less thinks I'm "over qualified" (I never believed that really happened til it did to me). I have my own business now but it really doesn't pay the bills. Anyway, I've gotten a taste of what retirement can be like. It was fun when I still had savings. Now that money's an issue I can see the downside. I found it easy to fill my days working in the garden, on the house, random projects, day trips, visiting family, volunteering. Having an open schedule does a lot to offset potential boredom. The key to enjoying it would be to have the income.

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 03:20

Not retired but my monthly bills amount to around a hundred dollars including food (hunt and garden extensively). I work enough each year to bank $2500 which is double of what I need.

The rest of my days are filled with singing, piano, guitar, reading, writing, video games, hiking, animals, programming C++, magic, treasure hunting etc. etc. etc.

I have lived this way for many, many years and am fairly self-sustaining and have refined the art of solitude. I can be in a major city within a few hours when I want supplies or excitement.

The joys of a stress free life are hard to explain with text. Simple things really can set your soul to soaring and joy coursing through your veins...

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 12:10

Anonymous, I envy you. I thought I was living a simple life, but a fuel filter for my truck just cost $40, fuel $100, insurance $200 for the month, phone bill $100, taxes $1200, food $300, internet $35, it goes on and on, and that's all since yesterday.

CottonPicker
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 12:37

I retired from 20 years in the military.

22 years later I retired again after runnning my own business for 22 years.

I again got tired of being retired & I now work full time for Civil Service. (3 years so far)

Needless to say, I do not recommend retirement! LOL

It keeps my life busy & the money is nice!!!

Citton Picker

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 19:32

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Anonymous, I envy you. I thought I was living a simple life, but a fuel filter for my truck just cost $40, fuel $100, insurance $200 for the month, phone bill $100, taxes $1200, food $300, internet $35, it goes on and on, and that's all since yesterday.

Satellite Internet =$60; Truck Insurance = $40; Utililies are free since I live very remote with solar and rain water harvesting. Fuel cost is negligible since I rarely go for supplies and end up working a few days when I do. Food comes mostly from hunting/gardening (one year I slaughtered a sheep and will raise a couple of lambs next spring). Chickens are free ranged so take little feed and the German shepherd and cats eat lots of meat.

Things I *want* can sometimes add up to far more, but having to deal with the city to earn the money keeps most desires in check.

Honestly, I don't find myself lacking for anything and it really is hard to explain how happy even a cool sip of water on a hot day can be. Anybody who desires the simple life just needs to do it...the rewards are immense!

flyrdr
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 07:44

I'm about 2 years and 5 months from retirement and I CAN'T WAIT. That time seems like an eternity. My job is not my chosen profession but I made the most of opportunity presented to me. I realize that I'm fortunate to have a job in this economy and I suppose many people would kill to have my job but it's is extremely stressful and demanding and as I age my ability to perform it is diminishing (very frustrating). To make matters worse I'm surrounded by people who love their work (they are blessed) and expect everyone else to feel the same way. I'll probably still need additional income when I reach full retirement age (66) and I've got designs on the Walmart greeter job.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 07:22

well my day starts with 2 cups of coffee, and NO - SCHEDULE. i either got down to my cabin/farm etc, or here at the house, go down to the barn and work on a project or 3....
and i travel a lot....i just got in from a 8 day trip to up north got in Thanksgiving eve.....
My hunting trips take up a lot fo my time, prep and packing for a adventure...and unloading from after a trip takes time,,,,i need to unload my truck now..LOL
i have pleanty of things to keep me busy==spring means turkey season..i do my mid west hunting trip....takes about a month...
summers i spend up north--plus i just bought a unfinished cabin there and acrerage...so i will work on it spring and summer....
i NEVER get bored....i always have something to do....
i retired at 49 and have been retired for 3 years plus...i count my blessings ever day....stay busy and enjoy!!!!!

neb
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 08:34

turkeyhunter
Long time no see. I want to work a few more years but I know I can stay busy but kinda odd not to have a place to do each day. Where is the new cabin at? That will keep you busy for sure.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 14:42

not retired, just seasonally laid off (i work in spring and summer but things slow down in winter. spend all my free time cutting splitting and stacking firewood, cut 2 pulp cords a day by myself (4'x4'x8' is a pulp cord). right now i have 30 such cords and only use 2 each winter. i'm set for 15 years so been selling my surplus.

also do woodworking and blacksmithing

neb
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 22:20

TheWildMan
That would be my dream to work spring and summer but want fall and winter off. What neck of the woods are you from WildMan??

rmak
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 08:57

I was "retired" when the agency I worked at did away with my management position. I started to get government retirement. I didn't like it at all. Started to substitute at the locals school and wound up going back to college at 60 to take the courses for a teaching license. I've been working as a teacher for going on 8 years. Next year my contract is up and I'd have to take additional coursework to maintain my license. It's a crossroads for me. I don't know whether to stay teaching, get something part time or quit altogether. I've also been a dedicated amateur artist and would happily paint full time, but I'm worried that if I didn't have the motivation to get out of bed I'd go downhill and be less productive. My wife is younger and will work until 2020.
I always thought after a lifetime of work (I started to work at 11 at my father's business) the decisions in old age would be easy and obvious. Boy was I wrong!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 13:55

Adirondacks, Northern NY, with tree pests like the EAB (destructive insect) the work only exists in warm weather. its not here yet but in warm weather my work involves setting insect monitoring traps, dealing with other invasive species and overseeing (crew foreman) a work crew that cleans up storm damage left from winter.

in the winter the bugs and weeds are dormant so there is not much need for me, living in a small cabin with solar power and wood heat means theres almost no bills. just fill my time with whatever and live off savings till work picks up in spring.

neb
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 14:11

TheWildMan
Interesting job! One more question I see you ride bike do yo use the bike to get to work? I was a long ride to town if I remember right.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 14:33

sometimes i ride to work, but 3 of my neighbors are also coworkers, i also have 2 other coworkers who drive past my lot, so i never have a shortage of carpool oportunities. since 2 of them are air quality technicians (monitor particulate matter, pollution, etc) they activly encourage carpooling to save gas and exhaust fumes.

it is a long ride to the nearest substantial town, but my office is in a hamlet 7 miles away, there are small villages, hamlets and ghost towns dotted everywhere, several townships have no village at all, they did once 200 years ago, but not now, most sprung up as a local farmers hub with a mill, iron works, or such, but those industries died out and most of the population left.

the closest big town is 18 miles away, has a population of just under 5000, and is the closest thing to a city in the county. most of the little towns have a post office, a gas station, and possibly a diner or pizza parlor. to get anything other than gas, chips, or poutine (fries with gravey and cheese, aka a heart attack on a plate) its about a 40 or 45 mile round trip.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 17:17

sounds as if you are in the middle of Hamilton County...where there is nothing but trees. That's where we are!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 17:33

bobrok, unfortunatly the description covers most of the north country (NY north of albany), unless on the shores of a lake or just inland. I'm actually in Franklin county, south of Malone-known for being home to senators and vice presidents, it used to have a population 4 times what it is today, and though in the days of the civil war it was a hot place to be today its the only major town in the area, very sad really.

for work i once drove down every road between the great lakes and New hampshire and from albany to the boarder. collecting genetic samples of endangered species of plants (working in partnership with the national seed lab). most of the rural towns are dying out, victims of modern technology and industry and lingering ghosts of local agriculture and manufacturing. why maintain small local mills in every town when the grain can be milled in a massive facility 100s of miles away at a fraction of the overall cost.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 17:48

Quoting: TheWildMan
most of the rural towns are dying out...lingering ghosts of local agriculture and manufacturing

How sadly true this is, especially in the former Empire State. But, you know something? We tent camp in Chateaugay each and every year and I love going to Malone. I think its a pretty cool little village.

smallworks
# Posted: 13 Nov 2014 18:17

Quoting: TheWildMan
in a hamlet 7 miles away, there are small villages, hamlets and ghost towns dotted everywhere, several townships have no village at all, they did once 200 years ago, but not now, most sprung up as a local farmers hub with a mill, iron works, or such, but those industries died out and most of the population left.

Describes where we are- also south of Malone. The past a constant presence.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 05:42

we dont know what it will be like yet.
in april.we are having the big countdown right now.
we have to get our house in order to sell.
we have lots to do but the bottom line is...we will just keep on pacing ourselves along till April.
cant wait for the mister to relax.have no work schedule.
no waking at for me at 2:30a.m. anymore to get breakfast ready for him.
it will be so nice to maybe sleep in till 5:30a.m. or even 6.
fishing,hunting,working about the place,trips to town.sounds pretty heavenly.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 10:32 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: cabingal3
cant wait for the mister to relax.have no work schedule.no waking at for me at 2:30a.m. anymore to get breakfast ready for him.it will be so nice to maybe sleep in till 5:30a.m. or even 6.fishing,hunting,working about the place,trips to town.sounds pretty heavenly.

I wish you two~~~ well wishes next spring on retirement !!!!

it's well worth the journey (work) to end up in retirement !!!! just celebrated my 5th year of retirement 4 months ago....

I just talked to my old personal manager this week ( from old work)...he said you were "MADE FOR RETIREMENT"....lol...
he said no I mean it..you have hobbies and love to travel I don't.....he told me was retiring in 10 months and has a job lined up already...NOT ME!!!LOL

ps--my goal was not to set a alarm clock since I retired...so far I have not!!!

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 12:29

I spent 25 years sitting in my home basement office on the phone and later on the computer. In retirement I don't want to be at home at all any more so I'm really pushing the wife to get out. We go for long stays at the cabin, travel to see the kids, granddaughter, and other family. We visited our grandaughter in NC once and stayed, unplanned, for a month! Love my SIL!!
And now we've been spending winter months in Florida and having a lot of northern visitors. This is something new for us and I'm really liking it.
I would sell my house and relocate close to granddaughter if I had my way.
Working on the wife with that idea...

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 16:44

thank u turkeyhunter.
i think u have done well to not set the ole alarm clock.yay.
that will be us.we have plenty to keep us busy.so gonna love it.thanks.
good luck on your plans bobrok.they sound wonderful.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 09:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I have about 8 yrs left at the earliest. I will evaluate it at that time. I certainly could work longer, but not sure if I want too. Lots of fellow co workers my age are all getting retire-itis. I'd like to build my own home on my cabin property. About 800ish square feet, nice detached shop (may sub that out) building. Told the wife I will need a large flatbed truck, smaller tractor with bucket and backhoe, and a small utility truck, ie the Kubota, John Deer etc type and I will be good to go.

I would like it heated with wood, but will have a full forced air propane furnace also. If I get sick and cant get in the wood etc. Will be on grid. Converty my current cabin to a guest shack.

Anyway, retirement is all I think of anymore. 8 yrs is going to seem so far out. But I know it will come fast.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.