Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Firearms?
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Borrego
# Posted: 6 Dec 2009 15:56

Just got back from a weekend in the desert (about 100 miles east of San Diego) where we will soon be starting construction on a little cabin. Anyway, the subject of guns came up with my wife. She is really against me taking any out to our place. Just as a background, we are in a 'community' of 100 five acre lots homesteaded by the US govt in the 30s and 40s.
Even though there are neighbors around sometimes, it is just as likely to be fairly alone in a very desolate spot. Nearest Sherriff's substation is a good hour away and cell phones don't work out there anyway so I figure we're on our own.
The main threat is from the coyotes & their illegals . They are becoming increasingly more violent. There have always been some break-ins, but lately they're more dangerous. Especially since the shooting of that agent a few months ago.
So anyhow I usually carry at least a small hideout pistol (.25 magnum Beretta) without telling her, but would feel better with my .45 or something bigger. I refuse to stand by helpless while we are beaten, and have our supplies and belongings taken or worst case having to watch as your wife is assaulted.
I wish I were just being paranoid but unfortunately the southern border is bad and getting worse.
Enough rambling, I'm looking for opinions from you guys......

flatwater
# Posted: 6 Dec 2009 17:16

Just tell your wife that you could not live with yourself if anything happened to her because you were not prepared. Take the 45 End of discussion. Your location is not a safe place to be without one. Our cabin is fairly in a safe place and I still carry one. My DW feels alot more secure when I'm prepared.

Borrego
# Posted: 6 Dec 2009 20:47

Thanks, Flatwater. I would do what I know is right, but it is nice to have backup from guys that understand. I don't know why women are afraid of guns. And she's a cowgirl, too!

ktm rider
# Posted: 9 Dec 2009 02:18

I would carry for sure. Better safe than sorry.

Jerry
# Posted: 9 Dec 2009 10:13

I would definitely carry some firearm. My cabin is in a remote location. Does that mean it's more safe because there aren't a lot of people around, or does it make it more dangerous because if that one bad guy shows up there's no support from neighbors? I choose to make it my responsibility to protect me and my family, so my 357 is always on my belt. Further, I saw a cougar a few years ago while deer hunting, and just yesterday there was a video on the news of a big cougar filmed in the suburbs of Minneapolis. What was once a fantasy story of big cats in the area, is now a reality, so my handgun is always along for whatever I need it for. Besides, I just enjoy shooting. Good luck to you.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Dec 2009 21:11

Thanks, fellas - I just purchased a Colt .45 SAA and once the 10 day wait period is over, I think that'll make a good carry gun for the Western Desert! Lots of cowboy and indian sites and stories around here........

lawnjocky
# Posted: 10 Dec 2009 18:47

There isn't anything wrong with guns, they are just tools. Being a hunter I have a few. When I am out I often carry a 45 colt New Vaquero by Ruger. The first two shots are snake shot. If I am where I'll run into other people I sometimes carry a 380 Walther in my pocket. I have carry permits in three states so that allows me to carry almost anywhere except California. I'm not one of those guys that has a concealed gun all the time, just out in the woods and not always. While camping I always have one next to my bed. I spen a lot of time near the border and you see some weird stuff going on. Even armed there are areas down there I won't camp.

I just purchased a Savage 24 which is a combination gun, 30-30 and 20 gauge shotgun. It seems like when I go out for deer I find grouse and when I go out for grouse or quail I find big game. I've thought about a combo gun for years and I finally found one (Savage 24s are out of production). I will be taking it on a backpacking trip in New Mexico in January.

Jocko

idahocabinrat
# Posted: 26 Jan 2010 23:47

Borrego-
I was in the same position a while ago. The best thing I ever did was take my wife to an official range and teach her how to shoot. The more familiar with the gun she became the more she didnt mind it being around. She has always been around them (her family hunted and I have hunted ever since we got married) but she just didnt have the experience firing them. She realizes that our cabin is remote and you never know what may be around (2 or 4 legged.) Now she looks forward to taking the shotguns and shooting clay pigeons and even owns her own 9mm! Hang in there, she will come around. I hope you never [i]have[i] to use them but better prepared than the alternative!

larry
# Posted: 26 Feb 2010 13:31

one does not carry a gun to look for trouble,one carries a gun incase trouble finds you. educate the wife and kids, ignorance and fear are not the way to go. learn respect and how to SAFELY use a gun it may one day save your life.

Rob_O
# Posted: 31 Mar 2010 17:28

Explain to her you need it for cooking breakfast

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/03/26/cooking-some-bacon-the-machine-gun-method /

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 21:21

Borrego-
These guys have all given you very good advise. Now that you have your fiearm, please re-read it all again.
I really can't think of anything to add, but the one time I left my pistol at home, we came accross a rabid ferral cat. Had to trudge over to neighbor down the road and get him to put it out of it's misery. I guess my bit of advise is to not lend your gun to someone either. Sounds anal but it's your responsibility on a legal standpoint, and possibly saves some heartache later.

And, when cooking breakfast, nudge the scrambled eggs around the frying pan with the business end................

Happy Trails

Gary O'

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Aug 2010 22:51

PS-
Whether you knew it or not, a revolver is easier to field strip/clean and doesn't seem to jamb as much as a semi auto.
They are also easier to make sure a round is not left in the chamber.
These guys seem like experts. I am not, but respect the tool and it's potential.
If I was to advise on a caliber, I'd have suggested a 357, since you can run 38s thru it (not so hard on the budget when practicing),
However, I just bought a little semi-auto 22 for plinking. It's Sig mosquito. Love the little thing (after finding out what rounds steadily run thru it without jambs).

Keep yer powder dry

Gary O'

larry
# Posted: 10 Aug 2010 21:00

I would suggest the ruger 1022 carbine. very inexpensive,ammo is cheap and it can take down an animal as large as a white tail deer.

Xplorer
# Posted: 17 Aug 2010 17:03

I also suggest getting her more informed on the handling of guns. Best thing I ever did with my wife. She now shoots a 22 & we took my 380 with us last weekend so she could learn to shoot a pistol also. She is much more open minded about firearms now.

munkyfst
# Posted: 25 Sep 2010 23:06

Borrego,
my reasons to carry:
1- I have had to shoot to kill before, it was not nice, pretty or polite, my girlfriend lived the crack head didn't, we moved out California after that.

2- I have been attacked by an "alligator" while fishing, no gun, boat oar did wonders, local boy showed up and "plugged 'em" with 2 rounds to the head with a Colt Anaconda .357. Turned out to be a Crocodile and I ran out and bought the same gun before fishing ever again.

3- I was raised around hunters and hunting, where I lived even the Amish had guns, if they got them I don't see a moral issue, do you?

4-I woke one morning at my cabin looked out at the fresh snowfall on the deck and found Couger prints all the way up to and around the deck door, when I went out the front door I found more... completely surronding the cabin several tiimes. The Black Labs I own never woke up all night.

5- I have had a Black Bear push on the front door at breakfast time, note to self when cooking bacon, have gun.
" And, when cooking breakfast, nudge the scrambled eggs around the frying pan with the business end................
Happy Trails
Gary O' "

6- My girlfriend is from West Texas, I never know when she is packing, or what for that matter she thinks a .410 guage is a pocket pistol. lol

Reasons for not carrying or haveing a gun at the cabin..... I'll get back to you when I have one.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 00:01

I collect all kinds of firearms. A collection of 42 currently. i do pack when I'm at my cabin. Its a Sig Sauer P229 40 cal with Trijicon sights and a Crimson Trace laser.

RnR
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 12:07

I didn't grow up around guns or hunting and wish I did. Both our dads are avid hunters but we weren't raised by them so weren't introduced to it when we were young. Today I wouldn't know the first thing about buying or getting a gun. I'm thinking of getting into archery, did it when I was younger and really enjoyed it so it's more accessible to me, and I can practice at the cabin without fear of injuring anyone, plus I can pretend I'm Russel Crowe in Gladiator or Robin Hood.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 20:05

Quoting: RnR
I didn't grow up around guns or hunting and wish I did

Same here. The first thing I did when we bought our place was buy a 12 ga semi-automatic because we are very alone at our cabin and it could be us vs an angry black bear someday.
The 2nd thing I bought was a 22 bolt action 'just for fun'. :-)

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 21:04

We have mtn. lion. I think I would rather have black bear. I have the perception that I would hear them coming. You know, a little warning...

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 21:25 - Edited by: bobrok

Not necessarily. Although it is always best to announce your presence with a bear bell or something it is possible to surprise one, and God forbid you get between mama and cubs.
So far we have been lucky. The only bear we have encountered was more afraid of us and ran off.

Edit: With all due respect though I'd not want to encounter a mountain lion either!

RnR
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 21:33

Our neighbours shot a bear in the back of their property just a few weeks ago. It does happen.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 21:47

We have black bear season here in NY. Saw one at about 325 lbs filling up the back of a friends pickup. I'm told he was rather smallish.

Xplorer
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 09:23

Where our place is, Sullivan Co. Pa., the saying is there are more bear than people. We've seen them, but they seem more afraid of us than we are of them. We have a german shepard/great pyernees mix that is fearless. The border collie is afraid of cats, birds, mice, etc. I carry my .357 mag up there just in case.

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 13:10

I've been told that a .357 mag is about the only thing that will stop a bear but in NY you need to jump thru hoops to get a permit to carry a handgun. It was easier to get a 12 ga. Am I less protected, then? Oh-oh. I have the bear spray also, but I had better check because I think it is expired after a couple of years and someone said on another forum that they don't sell it anymore?? Illegal now. Does anyone know?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 14:05

Quoting: bobrok
I've been told that a .357 mag is about the only thing that will stop a bear

If I was going bear hunting I would probably choose something a little bigger than a .357 but it is a good defense caliber. A 12ga. with slugs is pretty potent too but not as easy to carry.

I carry a .357 on the mtn. but the meanest we have is cougar. I'm not worried about the coyotes but we will probably have wolves in a couple of years. They have been moving steadily south since the reintroduction.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 15:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

I would not want to shoot a bear with a 357. Not enough energy in the load. If one must shoot a bear with a handgun a hot reloaded 45LC my favorite) or a 44 magnum would be minimum, better would be my 454 Casull (my other favorite). Anything less powerful will simply make the bear very angry. IMO.

fooboo
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 17:05

+1 on the 44 mag being the minimum to take a bear.

A 12 gauge slug - even a 2-3/4" is more powerful than 44 mag so you'll be fine with that. Take the duck plug out of the shotgun so you can get extra shells in the magazine.

You can also try a variation of how you load your magazine - in reverse order I would have slug, 000 buckshot, 000 buckshot, slug, slug. That means your first shot out of the shotgun is going to be a slug. If you are shaking real bad by this point, then your next two rounds will have a little more spread (the two buckshot rounds) and then followed by a couple of final slug rounds - reason being that if you're being charged by a bear, then those last two rounds are going to be up close and personal. You could spend all day going through the scenarios of how and what to load, but the idea is to mix it up however you think is best.

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Nov 2010 23:19

Fooboo, that is a really thought provoking piece of advice on how to load a shotgun for protection. Seriously, I wouldn't have the presence of mind to come up with a scenario like that, but after reading it, it makes good sense. Thank you for that bit of advice.

Xplorer
# Posted: 11 Nov 2010 16:19

After seeing what my 12 guage slugs (3" mags) do to deer, I would have no problem with that being my bear defence gun...just abit tough to carry around while working.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 21:33

Quoting: munkyfst
6- My girlfriend is from West Texas, I never know when she is packing, or what for that matter she thinks a .410 guage is a pocket pistol. lol

Anyone have experience with the Taurus 'Judge'?
I think I need (want) one.....
.410_pistol.jpg
.410_pistol.jpg

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.