Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Little Free Library
hattie
# Posted: 31 May 2013 12:30 - Edited by: hattie

Little Free Libraries are small boxes that people put on the edge of their property and fill with books. People can take a book and/or leave a book. They are incredible for places like ours where we don't have a library. It gives people the opportunity to get new reading material for free.

We placed a little free library on our property and used a repurposed beer fridge (which we thought was appropriate given where we live) that we got from the local dump.

Recently I received an email from the Little Free Library people about a "film festival" they are having. *LOL* Anyway, we couldn't resist the opportunity to join in the fun. Below is a link to our "film" which is entered in the contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWV8_xFZ14&feature=youtu.be

Rossman
# Posted: 31 May 2013 12:47

Great idea hattie, never heard of this before but it's brilliant!

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 14:27

That was terrific! I like Molly's choice of music! You and Bob did great, too!
Bravo : what a wonderful community service!

hattie
# Posted: 31 May 2013 15:15

haha....Thanks Rossman and trollbridge. We've had the library up since the fall of 2012 and it gets used all the time - more than I even thought. I've always wanted our town to have a library but couldn't figure out how to do it without hiring someone to sit there all day. When I heard about the little free libraries, it was perfect for our small town.

Bob was going to make us a wooden library, but I figured it would take a long time and be very expensive.

When we were in the dump one day I spotted the old fridges and jokingly suggested we use one of them. We laughed about it but the more we thought about it, it made sense. It is weather proof and fits right in to our crazy town.

It also gives me a way to get rid of the books I have read. I like to order books online, but most of them I won't read more than once and they were collecting up here in our small place. Now I just put them in the library.

hattie
# Posted: 31 May 2013 15:22 - Edited by: hattie

This is where we are on Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/ltlfreelibrary/film-festival/

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 16:01

hattie.thats a preciously wonderful idea.i love it so.thanks for this.when we went to the newly re-opened gas station near our woods.the lady there had a big box of books.i asked if they were for sale.i was told she just gives them out to others.i love this idea.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 16:07

hattie.thats your hubby?that was so cute.i loved it.i loved your dog.looking like-what they heck?ha ahahaa.thats so cute.thank u for sharing this with us.

hattie
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:02

Quoting: cabingal3
hattie.thats your hubby?

Yes, that is Bob all right. *smile* He was a good sport doing that. *LOL* And Molly wanted to get into some of the shots too. *LOL*

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:24

I gave you a "like" on Pinterest. Good luck in the contest

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 22:14

Quoting: hattie
Yes, that is Bob all right. *smile* He was a good sport doing that. *LOL* And Molly wanted to get into some of the shots too. *LOL

so cute.thanks hattie

hattie
# Posted: 31 May 2013 23:25

Thanks trollbridge.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 19:16

That was adorable Hattie!

hattie
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 13:23

Thanks KSalzwedel!

manny
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 17:01

you got a like from me too hattie

hattie
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 21:22

Woo hoo. Thanks manny!!!

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 20:54

Hattie, another "like" here! What a neat idea and your video is great!

hattie
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 23:35

Thanks tnky03. Thanks for the "like".

oldgringo
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 19:36

I really like this.

I was in a coffee shop in Springdale, AR some years ago that had a similar arrangement...take one/leave one. Of course, book people leave more than they take, so there were hundreds of books to choose from. The place had a funky vibe that reached out and touched an old hippie.:D

Nice vid, btw.

hattie
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 23:45

Thanks oldgringo.

Arlynn
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 15:14

What a wonderful idea! I've been taking mine to Goodwill. I never heard of anything like this before.

We used to have a "Book Mobile" when I was a kid. We didn't have access to the library unless a parent took us and things were different then. A lot of our parents didn't take us anywhere.

The Book Mobile came to neighborhoods at a central spot. It was an old school bus painted green with yellow lettering. They would be back in 2 weeks to pick up the books and you could borrow more! It was nice.

You must be in a more remote area? You did an awesome job on the video, loved it!

hattie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 22:40

Thanks Arlynn. I remember book mobiles too when I was a kid. I thought they were the greatest things ever invented. *LOL* Can you tell I like to read?

We are fairly remote and don't have a local library. Many of us here are lower income, so this library is perfect for us. Tourists also like to use the library, which is great, except they don't usually have anything to leave. Now I am running out of books. If we can get a break from our motel I am hoping to get to Penticton to see if we can pick up some used books at Value Village.

If you like the video, please give us a "like" on YouTube and/or a "repin" on Pinterest. There are now 8 films in the contest.

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 08:11

A few years ago I used to take the train to work. At the train station by work there were displays racks full of soft cover books with a sign that said "Take one , leave one" It was a neat system.
Some of the books.......

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 23:14

they just had a free library on the news here in Detroit....... kids here really appreciate it.

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 23:25

OH, I loved your video by the way...... Bob is quite the actor and Molly is adorable as always .

neb
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 09:22

That is a great idea and well done on the video. We have movie stars right here among us!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.