Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / How is your Fall going?
hattie
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 12:44

How is your fall going? We've been busy here getting the cold room topped up with preserves and Bob and Molly have been hunting (with me tagging along *S*). They have shot 14 grouse so far (5 spruce, 6 ruffies and 3 blues) plus one rabbit. He uses an air rifle to get them and Molly retrieves. She wasn't sure about the rabbit though - it was the first time he shot one.

The rabbit was a snowshoe hare which are supposed to be gamey so I soaked it in salt water and a bay leaf for 24 hours before freezing it. I cooked it up last week and it was delicious. Bob kept the feet and preserved them. He also kept the hide and preserved it. I am using it as a doily on my jewelry box. It looks pretty good.

What have you been doing to get ready for winter?
Preserves in the cold room.
Preserves in the cold room.
Rabbit's feet with part of an empty CO2 cartridge cap.
Rabbit's feet with part of an empty CO2 cartridge cap.
Rabbit fur doily.
Rabbit fur doily.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Sep 2013 17:03

I've been making plans with wifey to go to Florida again for a couple of months this winter.

So sorry, hattie, but I just couldn't resist that!

Your stockpile of preserves looks amazingly delicious!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 08:44

Sounds like a great fall for you Hattie! Nice looking preserves. You've been busy!

Nice to see you, bobrok! How's that grandbaby?

Fall has been great here in Wisconsin. Beautiful weather and our leaves are starting to turn. Gotta love fall!

tnky03
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 09:55

Hattie, your stocked shelves look great! I like the idea for using the rabbit fur. We are having lovely fall weather here in KY. The nights are very cool, perfect for good sleep. Our leaves are starting to turn as well. The dogwood leaves are already red and starting to fall. Love, love this season!

sayhey
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 11:54

I just got an email from a friend down the road from my cabin that we have 18" of snow on the ground and it still snowing

I'm not ready for snow yet!

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 12:53

Oh wow!!!
As much as I like snow, I wouldn't be ready for that!!!! Happy fall!

tnky03
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 17:02

Yikes! Now I like the cool weather, but hope we have none of that white stuff before December, LOL.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 17:11 - Edited by: hattie

Quoting: sayhey
I just got an email from a friend down the road from my cabin that we have 18" of snow on the ground and it still snowing

WOW, now that is a bit early even for me who loves the snow.

Our town has been tormented by a bear every night. Last night it tore a big branch off the last apple tree that still had apples on it. Bob went out today to pick all of them. Hopefully he won't be back (to our property at least).

I think Bob will be trying his hand at making apple cider. Our fridge is full of apples now. He has two 1 gallon jugs of wine in the kitchen that he is making from our own grapes. He picked those early because bruin got into them as well. I've never had home made wine or apple cider.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 18:06

Hi Hattie and everybody. Hattie,your preserves look yummy! I made wine once a long time ago. Waiting for it to mature was the hard part. LOL.
Been keeping busy driving. Have not seen fall since I've been out west to Los Angeles and all points south. I won a football weekend at work. So I will be in Green Bay at Lambeau Field on Oct 6th watching the Lions plummel the Green Bay Packers in the owners box.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 18:17

You should be hitting the fall colors just about perfectly SWL. Enjoy your stay in Wisconsin and the game at Lambeau

neb
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 18:11

Boy do I like those rabbit furs. That is a pretty cool way to use them!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:20

it was over quick and left a bruise, might take a trip next

TheWildMan
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:26

very well actually, I spent last winter cutting massive piles of firewood with an ax and crosscut saw now its going very fast as there seems to be a mad rush of people coming and buying it. I been selling off 10-20 cords a week.

got in a supply of 7 bushels of apples and the pumpkin harvest is looking good. and I found a kitten to task as security guard around the grain supply. going to pick sunchokes this week as well.

MJW
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 12:42

Two weekends ago we spent a couple of days splitting & stacking over 7 cords of firewood to pacify my pyromaniac wife this winter.

The past weekend was spent installing the R30 underneath the house and putting up metal as a windbreak around the house foundation.

We were going with the blown in insulation but somehow the price magically increased over 25% from the price quoted to us in Feb of this year. We decided to save over $1500 by installing the batts ourselves.

Had several trees taken out to open up our view of the valley. I can't believe how much it changed everything and how good it looks!

Got a very few leaves starting to turn here. They should really start to pop in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

hattie
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 20:11

Quoting: neb
Boy do I like those rabbit furs. That is a pretty cool way to use them!

Thanks neb, and thanks to everyone else for the nice comments!!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 09:48

We are using fall to upgrade the floor of our fire pit (man hole as our daughter called it). Here is a pic from the first day of work. We left a 40" ring. Of course we'll have to reseed the lawn area. We'd also love to plant some ground cover and plants this fall.
Upgrading fire pit
Upgrading fire pit

Just
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 12:13

Fall is filling up ,, deer season opened this morning in my part of Ontario ,I did go, try, and saw 2, unfortunately they also saw me .
My week of moose hunting starts oct. 19 , and a week of deer hunting nov. 4 this will keep me outdoors and happy . both those trips take me very close to Cabin Builders place perhaps he should take note as my eyes are ageing .
going in for some elective back surgery nov 29, that may slow me up till spring .
hope every one enjoys there fall happy times..
just

hattie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 15:12

Quoting: Just
going in for some elective back surgery nov 29

I hope your surgery is successful and that you have a quick and complete recovery!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.