Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Play Houses/cabins
Salty Craig
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 18:13

OK brave hearts, I'm sure many of you are like me and want to get the kids started in style. Show me the play houses!!!!!
I built this one in 2006 for my daughter. Now I have four girls. They love it and when friends come you would be surprised how many kids I've seen in there at one time. It's 6'x6'.
Play house
Play house
Lets go inside
Lets go inside

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Nov 2013 07:46

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was looking for a picture, didn't find it.
I've built my kids a couple, a girly one and a fort or two. My kids grew up and had kids. At this time, we have nine grandchildren. I had boys first and spent a lot on go carts and motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. So feeling like the out of town girls were getting jipped, I built them a mini-house. It was quite cool and took a lot of time to build. That was about eight years ago. Now it still gets used. I'm glad.

Everett
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 10:52

Salty Craig:
I have been watching and enjoying this site for several weeks. Thank you all for some great stories and useful information. I hope you will not mind if I share my small adventure.
Our family is fortunate to have a small farm in central Iowa about half of which is virgin timber. There is no water or electricity, but it is beautiful and a place I have known for almost 60 years.
In the back of my mind, I have always wanted to build a log cabin – from scratch. However, in this area, the trees are almost all deciduous. This presents a big challenge because it is difficult to find the nice, straight uniform logs needed.
The final push to action came when oldest my daughter, her husband and my then 2-year old grandson moved back. I thought it would be fun to build a small log playhouse for him, but just large enough so the parents could spend the night if they wanted. I also wanted a decent size deck. The deck is for me, so I could enjoy sitting there in the evenings and maybe catching a glimpse of a deer or two. In the end, I decided something 9'X10' with a 6' covered porch might be manageable.
To encourage the project and address the deciduous tree issue, one of my other son-in-laws bought me a mini-mill for my chainsaw. Using the mini-mill allows me to create the two flat sides on the logs, which I felt were needed. The project finally got started this fall and it is a work in progress.
Because I wanted to avoid a "foundation", we set the "cabin" on four posts. My son-in-laws helped set the posts and get the three big foundation logs in place. Unfortunately, the kids are busy, so most of the rest of the project will be tackled alone. I am trying to avoid cutting live trees or buying much material. But some things like the floor joists and plywood for the floor and roof will come from town.
It is fun to watch it slowly come together, but have learned a few things already. One thing for sure, it is a lot harder than I thought. I have also learned that even short logs are heavy and that I'm not getting any younger.
Here are a three photos.
Floor_joist_101713.jpg
Floor_joist_101713.jpg
Cabin_101813_2.jp.jpg
Cabin_101813_2.jp.jpg
Progress_111413.jp.jpg
Progress_111413.jp.jpg

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 11:06

Everett
Sir, I am impressed with your gigantic, homemade Lincoln Logs. What you call a playhouse, would indeed pass for a cabin. By the looks of things, with a little practice you could build a Cabela's. I have been in Iowa once and love the open farmland. Good luck with the build. You have lucky grandchildren. Keep us posted!!

Salty Craig

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 19:43

Not quite a play "house" but this was my project last year....I had some spare time in the spring and started thinking about building a wooden boat...I figured this would be a cheaper and easier compromise. I even put the kids to work...although my floor saw as much paint as the boat.

I have since welded up a frame that mounts 2 bicycle wheels on the front (replacing the grey wheels) and then a smaller bicycle wheel in place of an outboard motor that has a tiller so that you can steer it. I tried to get them to be pirates for Halloween but it didn't happen. Perhaps I will tow them with my bike in the Canada Day Parade.

At some point I think I should probably put a motor on it.
77525_10151083264102.jpg
77525_10151083264102.jpg
134726_1015108326346.jpg
134726_1015108326346.jpg
622649_1015108326296.jpg
622649_1015108326296.jpg
415747_1015106405600.jpg
415747_1015106405600.jpg

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 19:48

SubArcticGuy
Wow!! That's better than a playhouse. I have once again been topped! I'm getting used to it. Caulk that momma, it would float. Sweeet

Salty Craig

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 20:12

I can confirm that it floats...I rolled it across the road to a big puddle in the spring and launched the kids. I have a 20hp longshaft in my garage and I have thought about resurrecting to give it a try...but that could be pushing my luck....

I used a bunch of old 3000 psi pressure gauges from expired firefighting SCBA plus some old wildlife telemetry equipment and CB radio from work to give them some switches and dials to play with. A wasps nest under the bow put the kids off it for awhile this summer...but they still play with it some now with the snow on the ground.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 20:40

SubArcticGuy
If my kids saw that boat, I would instantly loose my "best dad in the world" status.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 21:34

That is soooo cool.

We built a plane.
DSC04603.JPG
DSC04603.JPG

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 21:54

OwenChristensen
SubArcticGuy
You guys are Eli Whitney with a sheet of plywood. Incredible!!

Salty Craig

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Nov 2013 22:09

They do enjoy the plane. The thing is they all used the screw gun and paint brush.
In the one picture one kid was blowing the prop with leaf blower. Funny kids.
fun
fun
Almost off ground
Almost off ground

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 00:57

Nice plane Owen...Perhaps that will be my next project.....Perhaps a helicopter....

Everett
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 11:03

Salty Craig:
It has been almost a year since my last post and some things have changed. My original plan was to build a "log camping cabin" for my Grandson. That has morphed in to a "hybrid" cabin and switching to more conventional construction. Honestly, the biggest reason was time. Working alone it was taking forever to fit the logs. But I'm still trying for the rustic, log look. Maybe I'll just let a few pictures tell the story. There is still a lot of work to be done, shingling the roof being the next big challenge.
Switching to 2X4 Construction
Switching to 2X4 Construction
Using ATV to Raise the Sheating
Using ATV to Raise the Sheating
Roof w/Felt
Roof w/Felt

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 18:11

Everett
Cool. Glad to see it's still happening. Your roof is real steep and so the 2 by framing is hid from the outside. That's good. Keep us updated. I like it!!

Everett
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 11:00 - Edited by: Everett

Quick update. We have had a couple of nice weekends, so some progress has been made. I am very grateful to family and friends for participating in a one day shingling party! Getting the roof shingled finished the heavy lifting (I hope). Currently I am concentrating on priming exposed surfaces and sealing up as many cracks as I can find before cold weather.
I still really enjoy seeing the all of the cool projects and learning from other folks using this great site. Thanks to all!
Everett
102614.jpg
102614.jpg

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 20:21

Comin along real good. Roof looks great!

Salty Craig

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 20:46

Awesome build!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 23:48

I built this for my grandaughters
grandkids
grandkids

jrbarnard
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 06:52

We just signed a contract on 1.91 acres to build a new house and a 30x40 workshop. Once that is done, we will be building a tree house (no tress though) for them! ;)

Everett
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 11:50

Owen, those are some very lucky grand kids!! Great job!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.