Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / alaskan bush people
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 08:20 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I have spent quite a bit of time with and I am related to people whom have lived their entire lives in a remote,wild area. Not as remote as some places in Alaska but pretty darn close.
So...I was really excited to watch this show thinking that I could probably add to the outdoor wisdom I was taught by my elders. I was SHOCKED at the ineptitude of the people on this show. I lasted about 20 minutes in and had to stop watching. In real life somebody would end up seriously injured or dead. Just my opinion.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 09:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I went fishing in Sitka Alaska and its on an island (Barinoff) and you landed at the airport which was built on a rock pile in the water, it was only long enough for a jet to take off or land, not abort. It was creepy. The towns roads went out about 10 miles on one end, maybe 5 miles the other. That was it. All roads ended. Past that was vast road-less wilderness with an average bear population of .7 bear per square mile. Best fishing I have ever been into. (Kingfisher Charters) http://www.kingfishercharters.co/home.php

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 09:17

Like most of Alaska there is no room for error. Unless one has a trove of tv people to save you. Lol. Imagine what true Alaskans must think?

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 12:20

ha ha .u know.i am on the alaskan bush people group on fb.
alot of alaskans put them down.
for sure.its just a tv show.so far there is nothing they have done that i think is worthy.like them building.
its just entertaining as they are surely a bunch of characters.now that part i am sure is pretty true.them playing themselves.
i just enjoy the show.
pretty entertaining.
i think they were probably out of alaska for a while and said they werent.i dont mind them at all.they are funny.

hattie
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 12:57 - Edited by: hattie

All reality shows now are phony. If someone is in trouble you know there is a camera crew right there that will help. They aren't going to watch someone die.

I guess I enjoy it because it is just fun TV. I like anything that supports family and this show does. (and yes, I do also watch 19 kids and counting ) I don't think there are any reality shows that really show reality.

Does anybody watch "Edge of Alaska" about people in the town of McCarthy? That's another of my favourites. I wonder how fake that one is?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 13:00

Quoting: hattie
Does anybody watch "Edge of Alaska" about people in the town of McCarthy? That's another of my favourites. I wonder how fake that one is?

Yes, I like that one. Strange history on that town years ago. The mine way up in the hills is cool too. They can hardly hike to it, how did they get all that equipment up there years ago???

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 14:28

yes we surely do.
and yukon men and life below zero and mountain men,alaska ,last frontier,the pioneers.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 15:36

Quoting: cabingal3
yes we surely do.
and yukon men and life below zero and mountain men,alaska ,last frontier,the pioneers.

LOL I watch all of those too. And fortunately not all of them use the same formula of creating some drama before a commercial. I enjoy Life Below Zero the most, followed by Mountain Men.

Hasn't seen enough of Edge of Alaska to form an opinion but i do enjoy hearing about that little town and it's history.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 17:08

That's exactly the impression I got, silverwaterlady!!! And I know little about living in a really rugged area. It seemed like common sense to me, in most cases, and they looked like buffoons at times. When it comes down to it, the dad doesn't do much. really -- geez, he even sends his teen-age daughter out to hunt among bears to provide food for the family!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 17:09

oh.and i forgot one-i like live free or die.
how come everyones become pretty good actors in these reality shows?
In hollywood,theres been some pretty horrid actors and actresses.
how come on these reality shows-everyones a natural?
drama or no-in all of them is some element of how to do things.
we recently enjoyed Charlotte and Eve showing how to make soap.
it was great.
we enjoy seeing Findlay on Alaska last frontier.we always wait to see him.
and like the bush people...we like to see if they are gonna settle and actually end up having a real place to live.
its just tv shows but with in them is some good stuff.
another i love is no mans land.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 19:03 - Edited by: bobrok

Quoting: cabingal3
we recently enjoyed Charlotte and Eve showing how to make soap.it was great.we enjoy seeing Findlay on Alaska last frontier

I don't know if you follow pop music but there is a singer named Jewel.

She is Atz Kilcher's daughter and has quite a story going back to her childhood in Alaska.

Some connections, eh? You gotta wonder about these shows/people.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 19:11

Quoting: bobrok

I don't know if you follow pop music but there is a singer named Jewel.

i sure do know Jewel.have her cd's .love her.
amazing family.i have her book about being raised in Alaska.
i got it free from a book store in town.
they are a talented family.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 19:54

I saw Jewel in a truck stop in the middle of the night! We were both standing in line,she was behind me and singing along to the radio! At the time she still had her old tour bus. They were parked alongside me in the fuel island.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 20:11

wow.silverwaterlady.how grand is this? she sure can sing

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 03:22 - Edited by: Gary O

Scattered thoughts on the 'bush people';

Real? Oh, I don't know, I just wait pensively until the commercial is over to see if the camera crew was able to keep that bear from running off. I mean bears are expensive.

Sure, the offspring are misfit cornballs and don't blend well in town. Actually, I don't think they are out far enough. I think they should consider something closer to the Arctic Circle. You know, thinning of the herd...natural selection...

Seems the mother is the only half sane one of the clan, and even she has that weird, leery, skittish far off look about her.

The goofy thing that threw me off was when the townsfolk got them all that wood and they built what seemed a pretty good structure, then one night they heard gunfire.
Next thing ya know they are packed up and outta there...maybe I missed an episode...

Scattered thought #5;
Hey, I made huts like their branch bough hovel when I was 10....and after, oh, say twenty minutes, it weren't too comfy.

Scattered thought #6;
Y'ever see any whiter people (other than albinos)? Those boys almost glisten.
It's like they were raised in cellars...of which would explain a few things....maybe they were locked up with nothing but Sean Connery recordings to listen too...

However;

My main concern is if Billy Brown (the brains of the outfit) ever gets that goat beard caught in sumpm, like a chainsaw, or if when skippering the boat, the breeze at 20 knots blows a tendril into the prop blades.
Think it'd be kinda funny to see him at the helm, steering away, worried about...everything...then...bdddrrrrit thuck....off he goes.....
(this is pretty much what I wait for)

But, hey, the show has entertainment value, and may in fact lure more mentally challenged tribes to venture forth, away from civilization with the hopes they too can enjoy watching their fully grown offspring run mindlessly thru the woods, bereft of thought, scampering blithely up trees, catching fish with their hands or possibly slamming their faces into the rapids, going after spawning salmon with their mouths.... learning to walk on all fours.....neat stuff like that.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 03:34

one more thing

the Billy Brown makeover;
Billy before
Billy before
after
after

neb
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 09:00

An entertaining show to watch but only have seen it a few times. I visit an Alaska web site and they say the show is nothing like the real world there. Still fun show to watch.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 11:42

GaryO, I enjoy reading your post. Were you a comedian in a former life?

I too was befuddled on that one show where the townsfolks all came out to deliver them lumber and labor to build a nice shell, then the tough hardened Alaskans hears a gun shot (that is part of Alaska) and went running away with a whimper.

Nirky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 11:49

Quoting: Gary O
The goofy thing that threw me off was when the townsfolk got them all that wood and they built what seemed a pretty good structure, then one night they heard gunfire.
Next thing ya know they are packed up and outta there...maybe I missed an episode...

The "shooting" was actually from a neighbor in their subdivision who was tired of all the noise from the production crew and the helicopter circling overhead, so he set off fireworks. The FAA charged the neighbor with a $500 fine.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 12:36

Quoting: Gary O
the Billy Brown makeover;

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 14:14

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
GaryO, I enjoy reading your post. Were you a comedian in a former life?

More like incorrigible class clown.
I just tend to migrate to the humorous side of most everything....much to the chagrin of my cabigal sometimes....

bobrok
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:07

Gary, personally I can't wait to see what you become once the two of you move out to yer cabin to live full time.
It'll be a hoot, fer sure pard!
Maybe even write another book.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:10

Quoting: Nirky
The "shooting" was actually from a neighbor in their subdivision who was tired of all the noise from the production crew and the helicopter circling overhead, so he set off fireworks. The FAA charged the neighbor with a $500 fine.

Subdivision? Just doesn't sound right in the remote Alaskan outback, does it.

So then that really doesn't explain why they left if that is all it was.

Nirky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:29

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
So then that really doesn't explain why they left if that is all it was.

I believe from the time they were "shot at" until we see them holed up in Ketchikan, a year and a half had gone by.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:38

Quoting: bobrok
Gary, personally I can't wait to see what you become once the two of you move out to yer cabin to live full time.It'll be a hoot, fer sure pard! Maybe even write another book.

Oh, another one is in the offing, fer sure. Got several pages put together (scattered in files I may never find).
Not sure where/what 'the offing' is, but seems there's several things in there.

Yeah, another book is coming.
We'll be totally disconnected for what may be the summer, as some important things will need to get done, and after ever day of grunting around building things, I'm pretty sure we'll be content to primarily collapse in heaving heaps.
Happily we'll be collapsing on our pillowtop mattress, not that makeshift futon of which was apparently built for anorexic midgets, not two aged water buffalos.
Anyhoot, this summer w/be dedicated to turning mundane things like pooping and washing into something less than an ordeal.
Happily, we won't have to scurry too much, just steady plodding, wheezing, as we'll already be home.....

bobrok
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:44

Plz be sure to let us in the forum know when you are disconnecting, ok?

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:52

Well, one sure sign will be a lack of posts....(snide replies are so...what's the worrrd...hmmmm...snide)

Serious, we sure will.

Lotsa warm folks here.
Love the simple style of this here forum.

sure do

surely do

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 23:16

Hahahahaha, Gary O -- brilliant!!! I watch the show with a pair of hair scissors in hand, absently slicing through the air as if it were Billy Goat's facial locks.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 23:41

oh Julie2Oregon.gf! u got this right.i talk of Billys handles all the time.i said if he went to sleep.those would be snipped off.lol

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 16:18

For what's it's worth I have learned something from that show... you can pay Alaskan doctors with Salmon. Who knew?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.